MiamiDade JS experiments with Socrata's API

Ernie Hsiung

Jul 29, 2014, 11:20:31 PM7/29/14
to code-fo...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone - got this forward from our municipal partner Mike on Friday; Syed is one of the devs that works under him.

They (and us) are playing around with Socrata as an Open Data Portal, with the data available here: https://cfa.socrata.com/catalog?Brigade_Group=Code%20for%20Miami - API functionality is, as I understand it, automatically baked in. The links are pretty cool, and feel free to riff of of this!

Cheers!
- Ernie

Syed has been playing around with Socrata. He enabled the API and has been pretty impressed with some of their built in features. It actually produces some time-saving documentation as soon as the API functionality is enabled.

Our discussions with Socrata are ongoing – I’ll keep you posted as those develop.

The links take you to some experiments on JSFiddle. We’re still just using the sample data set from earlier this year that was already in there. But, he was able to do some pretty cool, proof-of-concept stuff. Feel free to share this with the group as you see fit – I think it’s beneficial to get people playing with the data.

Even I can kinda understand how this code is producing these visualizations!

http://jsfiddle.net/syedrabbas/h8u9g/6/
http://jsfiddle.net/syedrabbas/muyMr/21/

Diana Espino

Aug 14, 2014, 2:46:07 PM8/14/14
to code-fo...@googlegroups.com
Wow! Very cool. This is better than self-hosting our own API. Can I add the Permits data to it?

- Diana

Ernie Hsiung

Aug 14, 2014, 7:51:16 PM8/14/14
to Diana Espino, code-fo...@googlegroups.com
Yes! Or, at least, someone who has access to the Socrata account, which I think Rebekah and I have access to. Let me give this a shot.

UPDATE, ten minutes later: Hmmm, so it allows me to import CSV files but when I tried to import https://github.com/Code-for-Miami/2013-14-Permits-Issued-Data-Set/blob/master/Permits_issued_mthly_NOV-2013.csv, I get the following error: "Import aborted: Irregular row (parsed result 452); it had 2 cells (expected 1). Please ensure that your file is accessible and valid and try again."

Did you notice any weirdness when you tried importing data on your side?

- E