Spring Birds at Walden Ponds

Jeff Parks

Mar 19, 2018, 8:53:35 PM3/19/18
to Colorado Birds
Hey-o

I hadn't been out to Walden Ponds in awhile, so I thought I would see what was out there today.  I was hoping to see some spring birds, and there were a few to be seen.  Back by the Osprey pond, there were a number of Western Bluebirds working through the field with a bunch of Robins.  No Osprey on the nest yet.  Walking along the back, I saw a bunch of Tree Swallows flying around over the trees near Boulder Creek, it looked like eight or ten.  There were a bunch of Red-Tailed Hawks, including one that puzzled me for a bit, but it appeared to be a juvenile dark-morph, according to Sibley.  When I finally make it back to Cottonwood Marsh, I was hoping to find a shorebird of some sort, and sure enough, there was a Greater Yellowlegs wading around with all of the Green-Winged Teal!  I was going to take a picture, but my camera battery was low, and I couldn't get it to cooperate.  A pelican was seen out there over the weekend, but it was nowhere to be found today.  A few Killdeer were running around on the mudflats as well.

Good birding -

Jeff Parks
Boulder, CO