Harris’s Hawk in Fort Collins

Nicholas Komar

Dec 12, 2017, 10:06:52 PM12/12/17
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Birders did a great job of monitoring the location of the elusive Harris’s Hawk today. Reports on Cobirds listserv and eBird accounted for its whereabouts almost the entire day, from just after sunrise at RiverBend Ponds Natural Area to sunset along Strauss Cabin Road in the Strang Gravel Pit area. It roamed an area along the Poudre River drainage that stretches more than 3 miles from north to south.

Excellent flight photos by Dave Wade (posted to eBird checklist S41051847) revealed some retained juvenal feathers indicating an age of approximately 18 months I believe.

No one commented on its prey. Has anyone seen in eat? Let’s hope it finds a meal soon.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) is the start of count week for the Fort Collins Christmas Bird Count. The northwest part of the hawk’s territory (Riverbend Ponds Natural Area) is in the circle. If anyone sees it there beginning tomorrow, please post the sighting to Cobirds or eBird.

If you are out searching for this bird, beware that there are some dark immature Northern Harriers that can be confused. Also not likely, but a dark phase Ferruginous Hawk can appear similar as well. And please, continue to update the birding community. It is much appreciated.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO

David Wade

Dec 13, 2017, 12:50:46 AM12/13/17
to Colorado Birds
For all the birders seeking the hawk, I would recommend starting your search at the Colorado Welcome Center located in the southwest corner at the intersection of I-25 and Prospect Rd. There are parking lots to the south that provide a nice vista of the area where the hawk has been seen most often. I have been watching the reports closely and it seems the hawk is moving in a North to South line between Riverbend Ponds NA to Rigden Reservoir. However, my impression is it seems to be favoring the trees in the Hagerman's Recycling Center which can be seen directly West of the Welcome Center.  If you don't see it flying, scan the trees carefully for a dark hawk silhouette. A foot trail connects from the Welcome Center to Running Deer NA and this also gives a great panoramic view of hawk's current bailiwick.

Here's a link to my ebird list and photos:  https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41051847

David Wade
Ft Collins

Austin Hess

Dec 13, 2017, 2:27:39 PM12/13/17
to Colorado Birds
Searched for over 3 hours and walked 5.5 miles around Riverbend Ponds Natural Area, Running Deer Natural Area, and the Colorado Welcome Center without spotting the Harris's Hawk this morning (12/13/17).

Austin Hess
Fort Collins, Colorado

The "Nunn Guy"

Dec 13, 2017, 4:56:08 PM12/13/17
to Colorado Birds
Hi all

Ditto, 1pm-1:45pm)  two of us drive-by-birding and scanning areas at Running Deer-Prospect Ponds-Visitor Center-Archery-Rigden Reservoir-ELC-area.

Thanks Gary Lefko, Nunn
http://coloradobirder.club/

COBirds

Dec 13, 2017, 6:30:47 PM12/13/17
to Colorado Birds
To reiterate what Nick said, the Fort Collins Christmas Bird Count "count week" started today and will continue until Tuesday.  Of course we hope to get it on the count Saturday, but please let us know if you see the Harris's Hawk, or any other unusual bird for that matter, in the Running Deer Natural Area or north and west of there.  We did have a Harris's Hawk on the count in 1994, so this would be second (I am not sure on the specifics of that sighting).  With so many eyes, a Sora, Swamp Sparrow, any warbler, or the like would be good to hear about.  Thanks
Tom Hall (FtCollins CBC Compiler)

Paul Avery

Dec 14, 2017, 8:21:50 AM12/14/17
to Colorado Birds
Paul Avery - same lack of success at places in other replies.  Also walked around outer loop of CSU Environmental Learning Center 11am-12pm.

Judi Ogle

Dec 14, 2017, 7:20:11 PM12/14/17
to Colorado Birds

I checked today for the Harris's hawk around the Colorado Welcome Center at about 4pm with no success.  Hope it shows up somewhere for count week.

Judi Ogle
Burns, WY