Harris's Sparrow, but no Sapsucker - westish Arapahoe Co.

Jared Del Rosso

Dec 13, 2017, 12:10:49 PM12/13/17
to Colorado Birds
This morning (12/13), I took my newly adopted dog, Andre, to Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens. There, we saw the Harris's Sparrow that Cynthia Madsen, Dave Hill, and I first saw at the cemetery on December 3. It seems to be visiting feeders at an adjacent home, along with a collection of juncos, House Finches, towhees, and chickadees.

Afterward, my other dog (Iggy) and I walked around the Big Dry Creek Trail to see if we could relocate the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that Mary O'Connor found there several days ago. We couldn't, despite inspecting a heap of trees surrounding the one the sapsucker was originally in. We had, though, a nice collection of montane birds -- Pygmy Nuthatches, a Mountain Chickadee, and a Brown Creeper -- in the area pines. We also had a Redhead at Cherry Knolls Pond near the creek; this was our first time seeing one in this pond.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO