Boulder Birding: Yes to Lilian's Meadowlark and CS Warbler

Steven Mlodinow

Jun 19, 2018, 10:22:19 PM6/19/18
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Greetings All

Today I did a half-day poke-about Boulder County. I started at 6:30 or so at Gunbarrel Hill. I found the pullout on Lookout Road about 0.7 miles east of 75th (on south side of road). And there I heard, and recorded, the Lilian's Meadowlark (thank you, Christian). It actually flew close enough at one point that i was able to get a pretty good look at the head pattern.

Notably, I am pretty certain that I heard (and saw) another Eastern Meadowlark (from my distant hearing, sounded more like the nominate -- Eastern Eastern Meadowlark) due south of 79th. That area looks to have public access, so ...

The CS Warbler was cooperatively singing from the along the road at the South Mesa Trailhead, a good thing as both South Mesa and Doudy Draw trails were closed. The explanation was that there was work on the power lines, which of course, are along the road. Particularly at Doudy, I could see no conceivable interaction between work being done and folks using the trails or parking lot. Alas.

So, by the nature of good fortune, that took me up to Eldorado Canyon SP, a place I'd not visited before and much enjoyed. Nothing rare, just a goodly number and diversity of birds.

Good Birding
Steve Mlodinow
Longmont CO