Dinosaur Ridge - Bird Conservancy of the Rockies (23 Apr 2017) 25 Raptors

rep...@hawkcount.org

Apr 23, 2017, 9:14:18 PM4/23/17
to cob...@googlegroups.com
Dinosaur Ridge - Bird Conservancy of the Rockies
Colorado, USA

Daily Raptor Counts: Apr 23, 2017
SpeciesDay's CountMonth TotalSeason Total
Black Vulture000
Turkey Vulture35858
Osprey377
Bald Eagle0413
Northern Harrier011
Sharp-shinned Hawk23343
Cooper's Hawk35156
Northern Goshawk000
Red-shouldered Hawk000
Broad-winged Hawk41414
Red-tailed Hawk573253
Rough-legged Hawk000
Swainson's Hawk11414
Ferruginous Hawk027
Golden Eagle114
American Kestrel02739
Merlin000
Peregrine Falcon157
Prairie Falcon056
Mississippi Kite000
Unknown Accipiter0610
Unknown Buteo11126
Unknown Falcon058
Unknown Eagle000
Unknown Raptor11522
Total:25332588

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:15:00
Total observation time: 6.25 hours
Official CounterMike Fernandez
Observers: Carol Cwiklinski, Rob Riley, Terry Escamilla

Visitors:
Observing Colleagues (I aspire to be their colleagues!): Terry Escamilla was there when I arrived and kept watch brilliantly from 0800-1130 mst. Carol Cwiklinski was indepensible from 0900-1300 mst. We had visits from three Jeffco Open Space rangers today, including Maggie K., who asked a lot of good questions, and Rob Riley, who helped with spotting for a couple of hours. There was a steady stream of trail users and a few visited the station with questions. Handed out a few "HawkWatch Info Cards" that I created (happy to share) with those who seemed interested.

Weather:
High thin cloud coverage most of day. Only occassional breezes up to BFT 2 and rare gusts to 3. Temps started in the low 40s and rose to the mid 70s, F. Humidity and pressure dropped consistently (humidity from 53% down to 18%). Used PWS (Wunderground) Solterra for the duration.

Raptor Observations:
Migrating Raptors: Highlight of the day was a kettle of mixed migrating raptors directly overhead on the platform, including an Osprey, a Cooper's Hawk and three Broad-Winged Hawk's. They circled together overhead for quite some time giving us a good opportunity to count and then when we were ready they all together turned north and did not turn back. Good thing there were three of us to see this. Non-Migrating Raptors: Local Turkey Vultures all day teetered low on both sides of the ridge very close by and then later moved their routine high above Two Pines. Local Red-Taileds seem to prefer the west side today, specifically by Cabrini, Bare Slope and also over the Saddle. Nine species of raptors today. Height of flight was mostly 0-1 (below or slightly above eye level), with a few at 3 (at limit of unaided vision) on both sides of the ridge, but mostly west or directly above. Total Migrating and Non-M Raptor Count today: Turkey Vulture (5), Osprey (3), Golden Eagle (1), Sharp-shinned Hawk (2), Cooper's Hawk (4), Broad-winged Hawk (4), Swainson's Hawk (1), Red-tailed Hawk (10), Buteo sp. (2), American Kestrel (2), Peregrine Falcon (2), falcon sp. (1). Ready to head down, but a Sharp-Shinned drove low on the western slope and then up over the north end of ridge past Table Mountain and beyond. Then an unidentified Buteo took a higher course overhead and did a flappless trek beyond range to the north. Still no NOGO, RLHA or MERL so far this season.

Non-raptor Observations:
Non-Raptors seen or heard on the Ridge today: American White Pelicans (5), White-throated Swift (6), Woodhouse's Scrub-Jay (3), American Crow (1), Common Raven (3), Violet-green Swallow (8++), Black-capped Chickadee (1), Canyon Wren (2), Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (1), American Robin (4), Spotted Towhee (3), Western Meadowlark (1), House Finch (1). Reported on eBird.

Predictions:
The trail up is in good condition. Monday looks to be slightly cooler but similar conditions, although looks like winds may shift to the west. I found the pole for the plastic owl leaning up against the rock wall at the top of the trailhead junction near the entrance to the station, but no owl. Don't know how it got there. Before i left i tucked the pole in at the base of the east wall of the platform for safekeeping.

Report submitted by Bird Conservancy of the Rockies (jeff....@birdconservancy.org)
Dinosaur Ridge - Bird Conservancy of the Rockies information may be found at: http://www.birdconservancy.org/

Site Description
Dinosaur Ridge is the only regularly staffed hawkwatch in Colorado and is the
best place in the world to see migrating Ferruginous Hawks. Dinosaur Ridge may
be the best place in the country to see the rare dark morph of the Broad-winged
Hawk (a few are seen each spring). Hawkwatchers who linger long enough may see
resident Golden Eagles, Red-tailed Hawks and Prairie Falcons, in addition to
migrating Swainson's, Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks, American Kestrels and
Turkey Vultures. Peregrine Falcons and Ferruginous Hawks are uncommon; Northern
Goshawk is rare but regular. Non-raptor species include Rock Wren, and sometimes
Bushtit, Western Bluebird, Sandhill Crane, White-throated Swift, American White
Pelican or Dusky Grouse. Birders are always welcome.
The hawkwatch is generally staffed by volunteers from Bird Conservancy of the
Rockies from about 9 AM to around 3 PM from March 1st to May 7th.

Directions to site:
From exit 259 on I-70 towards Morrison, drive south under freeway and take left
into first parking lot, the Stegosaurus lot. Follow small signs from the south
side of lot to hawkwatch site. The hike starts heading east on an old two-track
and quickly turns south onto a trail on the west side of the ridge. When the
trail nears the top of the ridge, turn left, head through the gate, and walk to
the clearly-visible, flat area at the crest of the ridge.

rep...@hawkcount.org

Apr 23, 2017, 9:14:32 PM4/23/17
to cob...@googlegroups.com