Magnificent Hummingbird Gilpin

Steven Mlodinow

Jul 25, 2017, 8:16:41 AM7/25/17
to Colorado Birding
Golden Gate Park. Northernmost picnic area on Mountain Base Road. Came into Pygmy Owl toots and pishing Female type
Steven Mlodinow
Longmont CO

Sent from my iPhone

Brandon

Jul 25, 2017, 10:22:33 AM7/25/17
to Colorado Birding
I hear Magnificent Hummingbird is now called Rivoli's Hummingbird again.  According to the AOU's latest updates.
--
Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO

Christy P

Jul 25, 2017, 2:46:14 PM7/25/17
to Colorado Birds
Bummer, Rivoli's doesn't have the same ring to it.  #Resist

Christy Payne
Wheat Ridge

Deborah Carstensen

Jul 25, 2017, 6:29:16 PM7/25/17
to passe...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Rivoli's sounds like a pasta. Deb carstensen, Littleton.

Sent from my iPhone

steven...@comcast.net

Jul 25, 2017, 6:32:54 PM7/25/17
to fiddl...@aol.com, passe...@gmail.com, COBirds
Rivoli's is the old name for those who don't know.
Steve Larson Northglenn

Jul 25, 2017, 7:49:36 PM7/25/17
to Steve Larson, fiddl...@aol.com, passe...@gmail.com, Cobirds
We should petition AOU for Rivoli’s Magnificent Hummingbird.

Chuck Hundertmark
Lafayette

Chip Clouse

Jul 25, 2017, 8:45:44 PM7/25/17
to cobirds
From Cornell's All About Birds, "...named in honor of the Duke of Rivoli, an amateur ornithologist. Anna’s Hummingbird was named after his wife, Anna, the Duchess of Rivoli."

Chip Clouse
Golden

Lafayette
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/03da3f02-8c6a-42dc-afc9-1961216dbf06%40googlegroups.com.

Ira Sanders

Jul 25, 2017, 9:31:17 PM7/25/17
to Chip Clouse, cobirds
Why not just the Duke & Duchess hummers?

snowy.owlets

Jul 25, 2017, 11:33:32 PM7/25/17
to zroadr...@gmail.com, Chip Clouse, cobirds
All,

Back when it was Rivoli's Hummingbird the first time, people would sometimes call it Ravioli's Hummingbird, but I would be in favor of calling it Rivoli's Mountain-Gem in line with similar hummingbirds farther south.

Mark Miller
Longmont, CO

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 5 ACTIVE™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cobirds+u...@googlegroups.com.

Joe Roller

Jul 26, 2017, 10:02:07 AM7/26/17
to Colorado Birds
Here are some details about the recent AOU split of Magnificent Hummer into Rivoli's Hummer and Talamanca Hummer.

Pertinent excerpt:

"Split of Magnificent Hummingbird

  • Rivoli’s Hummingbird (Eugenes fulgens)
  • Talamanca Hummingbird* (Eugenes spectabilis

This split separates birds of southern Central America from those of Mexico, the U.S., and northern Middle America. Rivoli’s Hummingbird is found in pine–oak woodlands from the southwestern U.S. south to northern Nicaragua; adult males have a peridot-colored (yellow-green) throat and blackish underparts. Talamanca Hummingbird is found in cloudforest and high oak forests of Costa Rica and western Panama; adult males have a turquoise- or teal-colored throat and dark green underparts. The latter was originally named “Admirable Hummingbird” by Robert Ridgway, but his suggestion was unheeded. Instead, Eugenes spectabilis has been named for the Talamanca Mountains of eastern Costa Rica."

By the way, I am serious for a change. I realize that it is pretty pathetic when one has such a bad reputation of
making up interesting facts and needs to state: "I am serious for a change."

Joe Roller, Denver

Christy P

Jul 26, 2017, 5:08:25 PM7/26/17
to jrol...@gmail.com, Colorado Birds
Incidentally, has the bird been re-found?

Christy Payne
Wheat Ridge

Christy Payne
Wheat Ridge