Ruby-throated Hummingbird in Bent County

Duane Nelson

Sep 26, 2016, 11:28:21 AM9/26/16
to cob...@googlegroups.com

Hello Birders,

When it rains, it pours. Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, for me, in Las Animas, Bent County. A little more than a week ago, I had a male Ruby-throated Hummingbird, seen by many observers. On Saturday evening, this immature - female showed up, making erratic visits to my feeder. I was finally able to photograph it a few minutes ago. I am pretty fortunate because my default hummingbird here on the eastern plains is Black-chinned, the most similar hummingbird to Ruby-throated. The key field marks are discussed in many guide books. My first clue is the overall brightness, sort of a golden-green in RTHU, compared with gray-green in a BCHU. Not also the shorter, straighter bill, bright green forehead, and black border (almost a mask) between the throat and green of the head. It's hard to see in these pictures, but the wing is pointy, not paddle shaped as in a BCHU, the tail is more forked.

Birders are welcome to look, provided they notify me in advance. As with all migrants, I make no guarantees it will stick around.

Respectfully,

Duane Nelson

Las Animas, CO