Status Cranes at Monte Vista

mvjo...@gmail.com

Feb 18, 2018, 7:47:28 PM2/18/18
to Colorado Birds
Still waiting for the numbers of birds to arrive. Yes there are a few cranes here and there but big numbers are yet to arrive. Water is flowing onto the fields and wetlands now so more should be coming in daily when winds are favorable. Forecast is for cold front to hit Tuesday so that may slow things down for a few days.

Some cranes are in the grain fields just south of Home Lake. Others are scattered about. A few Cackling Geese in amongst the Canadas.

Susan Hochstetler still has the Rosy-finches (Conejos County) for those wishing to see them. She is one mile south after pavement ends on Co Hwy 15 due south of Monte Vista.

Many of the wetlands down here have closed for the waterfowl nesting season so be aware of that in your travels here.

A Swan was reported to Lisa and I last week. It was a vague picture so we could not determine species. Lisa went out (Blanca Wetlands now closed) and could not re-find it. But be on the lookout in other accessible wetland areas.

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO