Carolina Wren Pueblo

Rick C in Pueblo

Jul 24, 2016, 5:47:59 PM7/24/16
to Colorado Birds
We walked a section of the Arkansas River at daybreak this morning, roughly from the pedestrian bridge downstream from Sharmar Village to Reservoir Rd. We heard a Carolina wren singing from the tall trees just below Sharmar. This may be the same bird observed in May during the Pueblo county migration count. We also heard a yellow-billed cuckoo just upstream from this area and saw a pair of YB cuckoos (different birds) upstream from Reservoir Road on the south side in some tall tress near a field. Other birds of interest were a pair of fledgling Cooper's hawks in the area with the wren, singing house and Bewick's wrens < 100m from the Carolina, and numerous Mississippi kites and ospreys. The most abundant flying critters were mosquitoes, voracious and tenacious. Keep walking!

Rick Clawges and Tammy Ivahnenko
Pueblo