Report from CFO Field Trip for Baird's Sparrow

Nick Komar

Jul 23, 2016, 9:34:09 PM7/23/16
to 'Andrews Robert' via Colorado Birds
Good news first. I believe that all 16 trip participants heard or saw at least one Baird's Sparrow (BAIS) late this morning after hiking more than 3 miles for the privilege at Soapstone Prairie Natural Area in Northeast Larimer County.

The bad news: Activity in the publicly accessible BAIS colony (which has had as many as 15 singing males in an area <1 square mile) seemed substantially reduced today. Not more than 8 singing males were detected today, and each bird sang much less frequently during approximately 2.5 hrs (9:45 am - 12:15 pm). Details on how these birds were distributed along the trails is posted on eBird.

Fortunately, a BAIS in fresh juvenile plumage, suggestive of local fledging, was photographed. It's young age was corroborated by the appearance of a fleshy gape (my photo inserted below).

Unfortunately, this juvenile was not being fed by adults and seemed to be fully fledged and independent of adults. So it's presence may not confirm local breeding, although opinions may vary on this issue.

Additional efforts to document local breeding by BAIS may benefit from arriving on site earlier in the day. If there is interest among the CFO community to search for BAIS nesting activity the next two Saturday's, additional nest-searching events like the one this morning will be considered. Contact me off-line if you would be interested in participating in such an event on Saturday, July 30, or Saturday August 6.

Finally, thanks to Fort Collins Natural Areas staff for issuing the off trail permit which was key to our success, and for bringing us refreshments after the search. This made the 3-mile hike back to our vehicle much more enjoyable.

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO
image1.JPG

Scott Severs

Jul 24, 2016, 3:58:23 PM7/24/16
to Colorado Birds, natura...@fcgov.com
Curious what precautions were taken to prevent the accidental destruction of other ground nests of this very high quality grassland bird community (beyond Baird's Sparrow) as recorded and documented by the biologists at Bird Conservancy of the Rockies.

Scott E Severs
Longmont

Nick Komar

Jul 24, 2016, 7:23:49 PM7/24/16
to cob...@googlegroups.com
CORRECTION - the bird photographed and shown here is not a juvenile Baird's Sparrow, but rather a juvenile Savannah Sparrow. Note small bill, rounded head and lack of scale effect on back feathers. Thanks to Tom Behnfield and David Wade for pointing out this error, for which I take full responsibility. Sparrows are tough!

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

Message has been deleted

Scott Severs

Jul 25, 2016, 11:44:11 AM7/25/16
to Colorado Birds
Thanks to Nick Komar for his thoughtful reply to my query. His CFO trip was carefully coordinated to lessen impacts to ground-nesting species. If you haven't been to Soapstone, think of what Pawnee NG was 30+ years ago and go visit.

Good Birding
Scott E Severs

On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 1:58:23 PM UTC-6, Scott Severs wrote:
Curious what precautions were taken to prevent the accidental destruction of other ground nests of this very high quality grassland bird community (beyond Baird's Sparrow) as recorded and documented by the biologists at Bird Conservancy of the Rockies.

Scott E Severs
Longmont

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 7:34:09 PM UTC-6, Nick Komar wrote:
Good news first. I believe that all 16 trip participants heard or saw at least one Baird's Sparrow (BAIS) late this morning after hiking more than 3 miles for the privilege at Soapstone Prairie Natural Area in Northeast Larimer ins C