Snowy Owl nocturnal behavior in a wintry suburb (out of state)

Dick FILBY

Jan 21, 2018, 11:53:17 PM1/21/18
to CoBirds Rare Bird Alert

Hi all

After a weekend day with virtually no postings to the group..

It has been discussed on the forum recently as to whether the Snowy Owls are roosting by day and hunting by night..

So, HOPEFULLY I will not incur the moderators wrath by sharing the link below, which is recent footage from out of state – from Cobourg, ON, by Lake Ontario

However... if you wonder what the Snowy Owls in Denver, Boulder and Pueblo might be getting up to on our long winter nights, in suburban areas, I warrant that you WILL find this compelling viewing. The second half of this 3min clip from a security camera, at 2am on Jan 4, is by far and away the best, so watch thru to the end, and wonder what happened next. However, how close did the owl come to nailing the Fox in the first instance.. pretty close I reckon.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1304530

So, driving at night in the snow on the Front Range? Pay attention – you might be surprised!

Oh, and keep your pets indoors!

Best wishes

Dick Filby

Carbondale