Westish Arapahoe Birds

Jared Del Rosso

Dec 14, 2017, 2:31:09 PM12/14/17
to Colorado Birds
This morning (12/14), Geoff Stacks and I birded Ketring Park, Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens, and the Big Dry Creek Trail (all westish Arapahoe Co.). We started at Ketring, where we had a Canvasback and, surprisingly, a low flyover Northern Harrier. We also had a Marsh Wren in the reeds. And while inspecting a spot, deep in the leaf litter, where a Spotted Towhee was scratching, we had a Hermit Thrush nonchalantly hop into view.

At Chapel Hill Memorial Gardens, the Harris's Sparrow was cooperative and vocal along the western hedgerow. It seemed like it may have been practicing its song this morning.

At the Big Dry Creek Trail, montane birds aplenty, including Pygmy Nuthatches, Mountain Chickadees, and a Brown Creeper. Also this striking Red-tailed Hawk. (I don't know my subspecies well. Is this possibly a Krider's?)

- Jared Del Rosso

Centennial, CO