2nd Breeding Bird Atlas

Hugh Kingery

Aug 21, 2016, 4:06:10 PM8/21/16
to cob...@googlegroups.com
            If you haven't yet, order the 2nd Colorado Breeding Bird Atlas NOW! The number of copies we print depends on the number of pre-orders we receive. If only 500 orders come in (the current tally) the print run won’t exceed 1000. That would leave fewer books to order after publication, and also make it harder for the Atlas project to recover its costs. We really need more pre-orders.
            As Master Birders, you will find the contents fascinating -- and surely want to support this amazing project. You can participate in the 3rd Atlas -- that starts in 2027 (they occur 20 year intervals). Or you can help to conduct it.
            The second Atlas correlates 105,121 records submitted over six years by 785 volunteers who spent 54,773 hours surveying Atlas blocks. It will provide the best information on the current status of breeding birds of 263 breeding species.
            The breeding status of many birds may be changing partly as a consequence of habitat alteration, population influx, climate change and other causes. Better than any other book available the two atlas projects to-date document these changes in Colorado. Nick Komar commented, “This is a birding reference book every Colorado birder should have.”
            Go to the Atlas website  (which has a preview of some of  the data) and order NOW  at www.cobreedingbirdatlasii.org.

Hugh Kingery
Franktown, CO
.

PS -- for those of us who have already ordered copy(ies), the target date for distribution is late fall.