Aythya fest, Smith Reservoir, Costilla County

Ted Floyd

Mar 17, 2018, 7:09:48 AM3/17/18
to Colorado Birds
Hello, everybody.

I was at Smith Reservoir, Costilla County, yesterday afternoon, Friday, March 16. This site is typically good for scaups at this time of the year, and so it was yesterday. I saw at least 100 Lesser Scaups; I tallied 109, but I bet there were more. Also 3 Greater Scaups, including a striking drake. Speaking of striking drakes, the highlight was a scaup x Ring-necked Duck hybrid, and I believe the scaup parent was a Greater. Picture a Tufted Duck, but with a green head and no "tuft" to speak of. Rounding out the genus Aythya were 3 Ring-necked Ducks,Canvasbacks and 50+ Redheads (54, to be exact).

Ted Floyd
Lafayette, Boulder County

kalistongue

Mar 18, 2018, 10:09:39 AM3/18/18
to Colorado Birds
I stopped by Smith Reservoir for about a half an hour Friday afternoon on my way home from Monte Vista. My first visit to this spot (thank you Colorado County Birding,  a great resource).  I think I might have seen you, but you were in a discussion with another man, and I am shy about approaching strangers. I was the lady with the two little dogs.   I was only able to take a quick scan of the lake and missed your highlights.  I did enjoy seeing the group of Sandhill Cranes at the farm directly north of the Reservoir.

Crystal Wilson
Englewood, Arapahoe County