North East Colorado, Sedgwick and Logan Counties

bunting...@gmail.com

May 30, 2016, 8:53:42 PM5/30/16
to Colorado Birds

I chose to spend my Memorial day at Tamarack Ranch Stat Wildlife Area and area. I have not been here before but I heard it was great for cuckoos. I found three Yellow-billed Cuckoos. One I heard the others I saw. Not only was it a lifer for me but my 300th bird. I found them along the road at Area 6 when I was walking the road. I saw one and heard anther at the Western portion. The road was muddy near here at area 6 and I chose not to risk driving the car through it. I also found a Northern Cardinal singing at Tamarack Pond area. After leaving Tamarack I drove to Red Lion but found Red Lion Road closed after taking exit 155. If anyone is heading there, you cannot get to Red Lion form exit 155 of I-76 and Red Lion Road. You will need to go to Sedgwick and head west on 138 to CR 95. It is closed at the private road. The first parking area at Red Lion is under water and has some Wilson’s Phalarope. This state wildlife area had some Orchard Oriole along with a Bell’s Vireo. I did not find much at Jumbo Reservoir but fond some Chimney Swifts flying high overhead at Sedgwick. Once I got home I heard Peetz had a tornado, north and west of where I was two hours after I left. Glade I missed that part. Here are all my checklists,

Brian Johnson

Englewood CO

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29999341 Tamarack

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29999591 Sedgwick part of Jumbo

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29999669 Logan part of Jumbo

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29999475 Red Lion

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29999732 Sedgwick

bunting...@gmail.com

May 30, 2016, 11:20:24 PM5/30/16
to Colorado Birds
Update, I mistakenly  put in a Willow Flycatcher for some reason, I meant Great Created Flycatcher at Tamarack checklist. Should be correct now.