Bird Conservancy Banding Report - Chatfield Station, 5/31/16

meredith...@birdconservancy.org

May 31, 2016, 11:31:06 PM5/31/16
to Colorado Birds
Nice third-to-last day of the season.  Highlight was an Olive-sided Flycatcher.  Caught in the same run as a couple of Western Wood-pewees, the OSFL seemed like a giant.  And he was beautiful.  The last of the Yellow Warblers are arriving - We banded 7, all but 1 were females that hatched last year (usually the last to arrive in the spring).

Here's the breakdown for the day:

Olive-sided Flycatcher 1
Western Wood-pewee 5 (These guys are having a great year - We've now caught twice as many as in any previous year at this station)
Swainson's Thrush 1
Gray Catbird 3
Yellow Warbler 9 new, 1 banded 2013
Common Yellowthroat 1
Yellow-breasted Chat 2
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
Red-winged Blackbird 1

Open tomorrow (Wednesday) and Thursday, and then done for the season!

It is almost always better to visit early in the morning. We are opening nets at 6:30, and most days will have birds back at the station by 7:15. There are school groups every weekday, arriving about 9:45. We aim to be closed by noon most days, earlier if it is very hot, very cold, or very windy.

Meredith McBurney
Bander/Biologist
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies