Pueblo Yellow-throated Warbler 4/23

Brandon

Apr 23, 2017, 5:43:06 PM4/23/17
to cobirds
Seems like the singing male Yellow-throated Warbler is moving around a
lot. Kara Carragher and I walked from 15th & Court up to 19th &
Court, and through all of Mineral Palace Park, and couldn't find in
this morning during the hour we looked there. Later we saw the 11:03
am e-bird report from other birders, that the bird was seen around
14th & Court (according to the e-bird report), so we went back and
finally found the bird in Mineral Palace Park, between 16th & 17th,
just east of Court Street. Van Truan had it singing, not long before
we saw it, around 20th & Court Street. The bird seems to be singing
off and on, and we heard it chipping way up in the tall pine trees.
We got nice looks at it in the tall pine trees. We also saw, a male
Lazuli Bunting, two male Black-chinned Hummingbirds, a male
Broad-tailed Hummingbird, among other birds.

Kara and I checked out some other possible migrant traps areas this
morning, such as Roselawn Cemetery, Pueblo City Park, and a couple
spots below Pueblo Reservoir dam. We found the most Yellow-rumped
Warblers at Roselawn Cemetery and one of the spots below the dam. We
looked at like a million (maybe not quite that many) Violet-green
Swallows along the River in Pueblo today, and didn't see any swifts
with them. The pair of Black Phoebes continue below Pueblo Reservoir
dam as well. Pueblo City Park the Pygmy Nuthatches were still around.
Rock Canyon, there was a singing Brown Thrasher. House Wrens were
everywhere along the River, and a couple were singing at the Cemetery.

The shorebird spot at Pueblo Reservoir, had the Whimbrel, 18 Willets,
a Lesser Yellowlegs, two Least Sandpipers, and two Spotted Sandpipers.

A nice day of birding around Pueblo!

--
Brandon Percival
Pueblo West, CO