Barr Lake Fall Banding Information

Meredith...@birdconservancy.org

Aug 22, 2017, 8:41:17 PM8/22/17
to Colorado Birds
The Bird Conservancy Banding Station at Barr Lake will open officially this Saturday, August 26.  We will be opening nets at 6:30 and should have our first birds back to the banding station by about 7:30 a.m.  Normal closing will be about 11:30, but likely earlier for the first week or so if it stays as warm as it was today.

We will be open 6 days a week; CLOSED on Mondays.

The water level is still pretty high - we walked out to the distant net lanes on Sunday and found ourselves in knee-high water - so it will be awhile before we have the entire station open.  However, we did training this morning for our Naturalists and succeeded in catching 29 birds in the less than 2 hours that we had the nets open, so we should do pretty well with the 12 nets that are up in the area near the station.  Most of the birds we caught (House Wrens, Yellow Warblers, Black-capped Chickadees) were young and probably hatched at Barr this summer.  Here's the breakdown:

Least Flycatcher 1
Black-capped Chickadee 3 new, 1 banded in 2010!
House Wren 6
Yellow Warbler 13
MacGillivray's Warbler 1
Wilson's Warbler 3
American Goldfinch 1

Look forward to seeing many of you soon!

Meredith McBurney
Bander, Barr Lake Station
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies