Cheyenne County Road 9 at Mitchek Ranch

DAVID A LEATHERMAN

May 22, 2018, 11:08:55 PM5/22/18
to COBIRDS

In talking with a person who was at the Golden-crowned Warbler site today, and based on what I saw yesterday, I think it would be best for all concerned if birders all park on the same side of County Road 9, even if it means having to walk a little more.  West side is probably best.  There is tanker truck traffic, horse trailer traffic and farm machinery traffic that I watched slow down and maneuver to run the gauntlet of birder cars parked on both sides yesterday.  The ranch folks have been pretty darn nice to "us", considering the commotion we have caused and we need to keep in their good graces.

Another thing that was brought up today is for birders to be sure and stay off the dirt farm road that goes to the west just north of the northern chokecherry thicket where the bird has been the last 3-4 days.  The tenant has said it is probably OK to go a very short ways off the road onto the grass (i.e., where the grass is already firmly trampled by us), but everything else is private.

It seems like a no-brainer for both the owner and the tenants to receive plaques of appreciation from bird organizations.

Dave Leatherman

Fort Collins