Roaring Fork Tuesday / Snow Leopard interruptions

Dick Filby

Apr 23, 2014, 1:59:03 AM4/23/14
to cobirds

Hi all,

One of the fun things about staying home, and working at the desk (the only place you’ll see any Snow Leopards round here is on the brochure pages I’ve been writing for 2015!) has been watching spring unfold in the Roaring Fork valley, albeit from a rather stationary viewpoint thus far.

Our HARRIS’S SPARROW persists and was much more showy today, singing on+off. He’s looking more black and grey by the day!  PINYON JAYS continue to raid the feeders, now vying with EVENING GROSBEAKS and CASSIN’S FINCHES for food. Two LINCOLN’S SPARROWS continue to think our yard is a better bet than heading uphill just yet, and with snow in the forecast again, they’re probably right. TREE SWALLOWS are making daily investigations of the nest boxes here, and upvalley the OSPREYS by the old Emma Store are back and guarding the nest. The ones across 82 seem to have the usual problem of a Canada Goose family to evict!

YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS are arriving in numbers now, but hummingbirds (both BLACK-CHINNED and BROAD-TAILED) are few and far between here.

At El Jebel (Eagle County) the COMMON LOON in immaculate plumage continues this evening on Blue Lake.. It certainly wowed our dinner guests who enjoyed it at 70x in the ‘scope!  A single AUDUBON’S and  single MYRTLE WARBLER were in the trees there. FOS !

Meanwhile, for those interested, yes, I have been  uploading yet more Snow Leopard and Ladakh pics to Flickr – see below

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77502316@N05/sets/72157642353030493/

And, now that I have finished the 2015 Snow Leopard tour brochure text, I’m hoping to get a fair bit more birding in.. so stand by for some hot bird news...

..nb if you wish, I can email you details of the  Snow Leopard tour– but don’t think you’ll escape winter - it’ll be winter in Ladakh too – tho much less snowy!

Good birding all

Dick Filby

Carbondale CO