Re: [cobirds] Digest for cobirds@googlegroups.com - 22 updates in 21 topics

Ruth Reeser

Jun 19, 2016, 8:09:18 PM6/19/16
to cob...@googlegroups.com

please change my email address to Rure...@gmail.com

----- Original Message -----
From: cob...@googlegroups.com
To: Digest recipients <cob...@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thu, 12 May 2016 04:39:40 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [cobirds] Digest for cob...@googlegroups.com - 22 updates in 21 topics

cob...@googlegroups.comGoogle Groups
Topic digest
View all topics
Lamar area (Prowers and Bent) on 11May2016
DAVID A LEATHERMAN <daleat...@msn.com>: May 11 09:28PM -0600

A rather cool (high in the low 70s) and calm day in Lamar.

Willow Valley Subdivision (private)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (2 adult males) eating flea weevil larvae (*) from Siberian elm leafmines and millet/safflower at feeders
Lazuli Bunting (molting male)
Swainson's Thrush (at least 3)
Northern Cardinal (1 male) eating green mulberries
Black-chinned Hummingbird (1 male)
White-winged Dove (at least 4) at feeders
Pine Siskin (40) at feeders and eating flea weevil larvae in Siberian elm leafmines
White-crowned Sparrow (Gambel's thinning out, a few dark-lored individuals present and singing (presumably our "mountain" form and not the nearly identical "eastern" subspecies)

Lamar Community College
Swainson's Thrush (at least 30, major influx since yesterday)
Warbling Vireo (sounded "Eastern", 2)
Mississippi Kite (a few including pair building nest in cottonwood right over the "No Parking" sign at the north end of the drive behind the college
American Redstart (1 male, at the very north end where the path goes down the hill, present for last few days, sings quietly on occasion)
Broad-winged Hawk (1 light phase adult, north end, best located when perched in trees by robin and starling alarm calls)
Red-bellied Woodpecker (1 female at nest hole in bottom of dead cottonwood branch just east of the parking lot about 100 yards south of the north end)
Black-chinned Hummingbirds (heard at various locations within the woods, presumably nesting or about to)

Pond on US287 just north of Highway 50 nw of town
Canvasback (1) first one since I got here prior to the CFO Convention
Forster's Tern (1)

Wiley Cemetery (along Prowers36/Bent1 w of Wiley)
Least Flycatcher (2)
Clay-colored Sparrow (several)
Blue Grosbeak (heard)

Tempel Grove
Gray Catbird (FOY for me)
Yellow-breasted Chat (FOY for me)
Northern Waterthrush (1)
Ovenbird (1)
Least Flycatcher (2-3)
Wilson's Warbler (1f)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (1m)
Black-headed Grosbeak (1m)
Pine Siskin (15+, eating flea weevil larvae from Siberian elm leafmines)

* Orchestes alni, an introduced weevil, rather recent arrival in Colorado (around the year 2000), same insect the Golden-winged Warbler was after in the elms at the Stulp's yard during the CFO Convention last week, obtained by warblers by extraction from the mines, obtained by finches by simple biting of the brown, mined area of the leaf (i.e. salad with protein morsel inside)

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins
Back to top
Louisville
Jack Bushong <jbusho...@bvsd.org>: May 11 07:45PM -0700

Hi all,
Today while biking around Louisville I found my FOS Western Tanager as well
as a Wilson's Warbler.
Link to checklist = http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29578357

Good Birding,
Jack Bushong,
Louisville, CO
Back to top
Western Tanager, Wheat Ridge
Christy P <passe...@gmail.com>: May 11 07:05PM -0700

I don't get particularly interesting yard birds, but on rare occasion something exciting turns up. Tonight it was my FOS Western Tanager, in the yard to boot.
Christy Payne
Wheat Ridge (Jefferson County)
Back to top
Elbert County May 9
David Suddjian <dsud...@gmail.com>: May 11 08:03PM -0600

Sorry this delayed report on a full day trip to Elbert County on May 9. I
focused on areas of the east central and northeastern parts of the county.
It was neat to see how the kingbird and Lark Bunting flood gates had opened
up since my prior visit one week earlier. There was still a lot of room for
numbers to build, but where they had recently been absent, now Western and
Cassin's Kingbirds were common (Eastern so far rather uncommon), and Lark
Buntings ubiquitous and numerous. More sought after migrants were on the
thin side, but since I made about 90 stops I managed to eek out some fun
birds.

Some highlights included:
Several Mountain Plovers on CR 149 S of Matheson, along CR 66, 169, 46 and
34
Wood Duck at Big Sandy Creek at CR 149
Red-headed Woodpeckers at a number of locations
Black-and-white Warbler at Matheson and at East Bijou Creek near Agate
McCown's Longspurs at CR 149,169, 66, 46, 34, 201
Peregrine Falcon at CR 66
Cattle Egret at CR 66
Nashville Warbler at CR 197 x CR 46
Northern Waterthrush at Big Sandy Creek near CR 118
Orchard Oriole ditto
Palm Warbler ditto
Black Tern at Highway 86 roadside pond E of Kiowa
Cassin's Vireo at CR 141

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO
Back to top
RFI: Birding Golden Gate Canyon
vkbi...@gmail.com: May 11 06:22PM -0700

My husband and I live in Seattle and are visiting family in Arvada. We are able to go birding while our granddaughter is at school and will be going to Golden Gate Canyon State Park tomorrow.

We would love to find some migrating species. If you have any suggestions for areas in the Park that could be productive, we would very much appreciate your advice.

Thank you,
Vicki and Jim
Back to top
Bird Conservancy Banding Report - Chatfield, 5/11/16
meredith...@birdconservancy.org: May 11 04:32PM -0700

Continue to catch modest numbers each day. Today's welcome surprise was a
Harris's Sparrow - first ever caught at the station. And 3 more relatively
old Yellow Warblers that were banded in prior years. Here's the breakdown
of the 18 new and returns:

Dusky Flycatcher 2
House Wren 2
Blue-grey Gnatcatcher 1
Gray Catbird 1
Yellow Warbler 1 new, 3 returns (1 each, banded in 2013, 2012, and 2009.
The 2009 bird was an adult when banded, so he is now at least 9 years old.)
Yellow-breasted Chat 1
Spotted Towhee 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 2
Harris's Sparrow 1 (first ever)
White-crowned Sparrow, Mountain 1
Red-winged Blackbird 2

Open daily, weather permitting, through June 2, EXCEPT for May 13, 14 (that
is this Friday and Saturday) and 30. It is almost always better to visit
early in the morning. We are opening nets at 6:30, and most days will have
birds back at the station by 7:15. There are school groups every weekday,
arriving about 9:45. We aim to close by noon most days, earlier if it is
very hot, very cold, or very windy.

Meredith McBurney
Bander/Biologist
Bird Conservancy of the Rockies
Back to top
Tennessee Warbler (Larimer)
Nick Komar <quet...@comcast.net>: May 11 05:29PM -0600

A flock of more than 30 migrants moved through my west Fort Collins backyard earlier this afternoon. Most were Chipping Sparrows. Among 6 warblers was a female Tennessee. The flock was working the vegetation along the irrigation ditch, which can be accessed publicly from West Lake St. (To see a map of the location, you can view the associated eBird checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S29570268).

Nick Komar, Fort Collins

Sent from my iPhone
Back to top
Woodland Park Area Birds, April
"joe...@betterbirdwatching.com" <joeg...@gmail.com>: May 11 12:45PM -0700

Woodland Park Area Birds, April

Mountain Bluebird, 4-9, FOS
Western Bluebird, 4-12, FOS
Broad-tailed Hummingbird, 4-23, FOS
Spotted Sandpiper, 4-27, Quail Lake, Colo. Spgs.
Turkey Vulture, 4-8, FOS
Red-naped Sapsucker, 4-29, FOS
Dark-eyed Junco, Oregon race, 1, 4-16
Killdeer, 4-15

Also lots of Evening Grosbeaks and Williamson's Sapsuckers in the yard area.

Joe LaFleur
Woodland Park
Back to top
Chats, Lesser Goldfinches, Ibis - Douglas
Hugh Kingery <ouz...@aol.com>: May 11 04:39PM -0400

Karen Metz walked the Walker Trail, Franktown, early this morning and found three Yellow-breasted Chats. We walked the Trail this morning (with John & Selma Woofswinkel, of Castle Rock) but counted only two Chats. Selma spotted the first of what turned into three Lesser Goldfinches, one male & two females, clinging to an old oriole nest. Probably not raiding it for nest material but rather for food. Our first for the season.

In the past two days we've seen White-faced Ibis in the flooded field across the road (west) from the Walker Pit. Yesterday Urling found 19; by the time I came over they had morphed into 21. They fed actively in the tall grass until suddenly, without a signal that I could detect, rose up & flew north. This morning when we arrived a the Walker trailhead at 9:30 am, we saw none; we noticed three flying south during the walk. And then when we returned to the cars at 11:30, the field had four of them. So they use the field, but not all day.

Hugh Kingery
Franktown, CO
Back to top
Fremont Co. birding
David Chartier <drcha...@msn.com>: May 11 08:20PM

I looked for the Scott's oriole at Brush Hollow today, but no luck. There were Bullock's orioles and a blue grosbeak, but no Scott's. Cañon City River Walk was pretty birdy. Best birds were female redstart, western tanager (first of year for me), lazuli bunting, yellow-breasted chat, and warbling vireo.

David Chartier

Colorado Springs, CO
Back to top
Scarlet Tanager - Larimer
Kathy and Jeff Dunning <mihmd...@gmail.com>: May 11 01:41PM -0600

Greetings all -

Early this morning I had an adult male Scarlet Tanager in the tall
cottonwoods above the bathroom at the Colorado State University
Environmental Learning Center in Fort Collins.

The bird flew in and the color caught my attention. I managed to get a few
decent pictures which I'll attach to my eBird report when I get it
submitted. Within about five minutes, the bird disappeared off to the
north-north-east.

I suspect this is the same bird seen previously in the Lee Martinez Park
area.

Keep your eyes open.

Good birding,
Kathy Mihm Dunning
Denver
Back to top
Global Big Day - May 14!
David Suddjian <dsud...@gmail.com>: May 11 01:23PM -0600

Dear COBirders,

The second annual Global Big Day
<http://cornell.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b35ddb671faf4a16c0ce32406&id=b2854cad0d&e=06dc851e6e>
kicks
off this Saturday, 14 May.

The concept is simple: how many birds can a global community of birders
find in one day? To answer that question, we’ll need as many people birding
as possible on 14 May—all entering their observations into eBird
<http://cornell.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=b35ddb671faf4a16c0ce32406&id=602225bceb&e=06dc851e6e>
.

Last year, the first annual Global Big Day engaged more than 14,000 people
from 140 countries to submit almost 40,000 checklists, featuring
6,158 species of birds. Perhaps most importantly, this event introduced
eBird to thousands of new people around the world. Many became year-round
eBird participants, whose data now regularly inform science and
conservation.

There are many ways to get involved with Global Big Day. At its simplest,
participating in GBD2016 means that you go birding and submit an eBird
checklist on 14 May. That day is also International “Migratory Bird Day”,
the “North American Migration Count”, the “World Series of Birding” in New
Jersey, and the “Great Canadian Birdathon.” Please support our global and
local partners by taking part in these events—and submit your sightings to
eBird, automatically making these data part of Global Big Day!

More info can be found here:
Taking Part in Global Big Day
<http://cornell.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=b35ddb671faf4a16c0ce32406&id=71c2e6b36a&e=06dc851e6e>
(how
to participate)
Global Big Day HQ page
<http://cornell.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b35ddb671faf4a16c0ce32406&id=3cd740db87&e=06dc851e6e>,
a one-stop-shop for GBD info.
See the main eBird GBD2016 Facebook Event here
<http://cornell.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=b35ddb671faf4a16c0ce32406&id=6f1edc064b&e=06dc851e6e>
.
David Suddjian
Littleton, CO
John Shenot <johns...@gmail.com>: May 11 12:36PM -0700

Another Global Big Day option: It's not too late to register a team for the
Fort Collins Audubon Society Birdathon. We want teams to bird on May 14,
but it's a fundraiser, so if May 14 won't work for you we're allowing teams
to count birds in any 24-hour period from May 13-22. Download forms from
our website at http://fortcollinsaudubon.org/birdathon.

John Shenot
FCAS President
Fort Collins, CO

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 1:23:10 PM UTC-6, David Suddjian wrote:

Back to top
Lewis's Woodpeckers - Eldorado Open Space, Boulder County
Mark R <markrmi...@gmail.com>: May 11 01:16PM -0600

Lewis's Woodpeckers have returned to the burn area on the ridge in Eldorado Open Space. 2 pairs were quite active over the lunch area-

Regards,

Mark Minner-Lee
Superior, CO

Sent from my iPhone
Back to top
N Waterthrush, CSR, El Paso Co, Wed.
Steve Brown <sbro...@gmail.com>: May 11 12:36PM -0600

Hey CObirders,

More migrants moved through today at Clear Spring Ranch. The highlight was banding another adult Northern Waterthrush, my second of the week. Other new arrivals included FOS Black-headed Grosbeak (m), FOS Warbling Vireo (second year), FOS Chipping Sparrow, and several more new and returning Yellow Warblers, Com Yellowthroats, YB Chats, and Gray Catbird.

Happy Migration,
Steve Brown
Colo Spgs

Sent from my iPad
Back to top
First Hummingbird - Dillon, Summit County
Ed Baker <ednbonn...@gmail.com>: May 11 12:09PM -0600

first Hummingbird in backyard, today, 5/11/16

Broad-tailed Hummingbird, right?

It flew away upon my appearance on our deck but I now have my feeders out.
He or she better come-back cuz I'm the only game in town.

Bonnie Boex
Dillon
Back to top
Caching Blue Jays & Other West Arapahoe Co Birds
Jared Del Rosso <jared.d...@gmail.com>: May 11 10:47AM -0700

Yesterday afternoon, while I was working in my office, I watched two Blue
Jays continually cache -- and occasionally eat -- peanuts in my yard.
Twice, the entire routine was in view. A jay would nab a peanut (in the
shell) from my neighbor's feeder, fly over to my yard with it, duck its
head into a small plant (a clump of grass, a very small conifer), and come
back out empty. Then it would pick up some mulch or dirt and "cover" the
peanut. Afterward, one of the jays displaced a Spotted Towhee, who was
washing in my bird bath, to take a drink. The towhee returned when the jay
got its fill.

When the jays were done, I went out and inspected their handiwork, finding
those two peanuts with some of my landscaping material partially disguising
them. Between the jays, the towhees who kick the mulch, and my dog who
buries it, it's a miracle anything in the yard remains where it belongs.

This morning, one of the jays returned and gathered a peanut from a hiding
spot that I hadn't noticed.

Over the past several days, a Brewer's Sparrow has hung around the yard.
This weekend, there were at least two, but I've only seen one this week.
I've had two Western Tanager sightings, though they haven't stayed long.
Yesterday, around midday, the neighborhood Spotted Towhees, House Wrens,
and Black-capped Chickadees all decided it was time to show off. Several of
each started singing. One male towhee found a conspicuous spot on a power
line in the corner of my yard, fanned its tail, and strutted. A female
Spotted Towhee has been out and about, too; she and her presumed partner
have been visiting my feeders and yard fairly regularly.

Elsewhere in Arapahoe Co...

On Monday, there was a small flock of Pine Siskins at deKoevend Park. A
Western Scrub Jay was in a neighborhood just beyond the park. Yellow
Warblers and House Wrens were singing along the trail. And a Clay-colored
Sparrow traveled with a flock of Chipping Sparrow in the open spaces at the
park.

Today, at Marjorie Perry Nature Preserve, were many Yellow-rumped Warblers,
several Yellows, and a few Common Yellowthroats. There was also a Bank
Swallow and at least two Cliff Swallows with the many Tree Swallows and
Northern Rough-winged Swallows. A Western Wood-Pewee has taken the place of
the Eastern Phoebe at the easternmost lake. On the far eastern edge of the
preserve has been an empid., which I think / am guessing is a Dusky
Flycatcher, but I would welcome second opinions on my mediocre photograph.
(It sounded enough like a Dusky to me and it looks medium-everything [tail,
bill].) I quite like empids., even if I rarely know which one I'm looking
at.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bWMd-nSCr98/VzNt11jRzqI/AAAAAAAAK5E/cpekboR0Umkc0oG_FTQYXXRYAe2pbH3JQCLcB/s1600/DSC_0041%2BMarjorie%2BPerry%2BEmpid.jpg>

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GCrlB-TpH2Q/VzNt8KsUlVI/AAAAAAAAK5I/771Hn_1zDoM0isxvm2N904FBwYz_jO7LgCLcB/s1600/DSC_0046%2BMarjorie%2BPerry%2BEmpid.jpg>

Swainson's and Cooper's Hawks are everywhere around Centennial.
Red-tails,by comparison, suddenly seem uncommon. Great Horned and Eastern
Screech Owls are also out and about.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO
Back to top
More Spring Arrivals [Nunn/Pierce, Weld]
"The \"Nunn Guy\"" <colorad...@gmail.com>: May 11 10:32AM -0700

Hi all

This morning ...

- Clay-colored Sparrow - 3 [Yard, Nunn, Weld]
- Bullock's Oriole and Brown Thrasher [Weld CR 110W/Hwy 85, Nunn, Weld]
- Yellow Warbler [Weld CR 108W/Hwy 85, Nunn, Weld]

Thanks Gary Lefko, Nunn

http://coloradobirder.ning.com/

Mobile: http://coloradobirder.ning.com/m
Back to top
Chipping Sparrows - west Centennial, Arapahoe County
KevyG...@aol.com: May 11 11:12AM -0400

Hello Fellow Birders,

Okay, this is getting ridiculous. Yesterday, May 10, at least 5 Chipping
Sparrows joined the cavalcade through my little townhouse yard near Holly &
Arapahoe. I usually get a Spring migrant or two this time of year, but
this makes 5 species in 5 consecutive days!

Keep Smilin',
Kevin Corwin
west Centennial, Arapahoe County

Sent from my Remington Rand Typewriter via my Wall Phone
Back to top
A few from Jefferson and one from Arapahoe, 5/10
David Suddjian <dsud...@gmail.com>: May 11 07:21AM -0600

Yesterday morning I birded mostly in the Ken Caryl Valley area, and enjoyed
seeing a nice variety of migrants, even if numbers were not great.
Highlights there were a *Gray Flycatcher *on the Lyons Formation hogback
north of Massey Draw, a male *Rose-breasted* Grosbeak visiting a feeder,
and a *MacGillivray's Warbler* at Massey Draw.

A *Northern Waterthrush* was at Chatfield SP near the Deer Creek inlet.

South Platte Reservoir had a *Common Loon* continuing (presumably) in the
southeast corner (ARA), but the Long-tailed Ducks have apparently departed.

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO
Back to top
Northern Waterthrush, Federal Heights, Adams County
Eric DeFonso <bay....@gmail.com>: May 11 07:04AM -0600

Hi folks,

While out on a lovely early morning run today through Camenisch Park, I
heard the emphatic song of a Northern Waterthrush. It was in the woodsy
riparian area just downstream of the lake, and just to the southwest corner
of Waterworld. The approximate location of the park is at Zuni and 88th.

Yellow Warblers and Bullock's Orioles are also present.

--
Eric DeFonso
Westminster, CO

Compiler: Joyce Takamine

e-mail: RBA AT cobirds.org

Date: May 11, 2016

This is the Rare Bird Alert for Wednesday, May 11, 2016, sponsored by
Denver Field

Ornithologists and the Bird Conservancy of the Rockies.

Highlight species include: (* indicates new information on this species).

Note / warblers and other migrants on the move. Go out and find more!!

Mexican Mallard (*Rio Grande)

Glossy Ibis (*El Paso, Jefferson)

Broad-winged Hawk (Bent, Washington; Weld)

Long-tailed Duck (Arapahoe; Mesa)

Black Rail (Bent)

Whimbrel (La Plata)

American Golden Plover (Kiowa)

Mountain Plover (Weld)

LAUGHING GULL (Otero)

Red-throated Loon (Bent)

Least Tern (El Paso County)

Black Swift (El Paso)

White-tailed Swift (El Paso)

Winter Wren (El Paso)

Veery (Bent)

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Bent)

Red-headed Woodpecker (Arapahoe, Fremont, *Weld)

Acorn Woodpecker (*Pueblo)

Red-bellied Woodpecker (Bent, *Weld)

American Three-toed Woodpecker (*Conejos)

Gray Flycatcher (Boulder, Jefferson, Kit Carson)

Black Phoebe (Boulder)

Great Crested Flycatcher (Yuma)

Cassin's Kingbird (*Larimer)

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (El Paso, Kiowa)

Yellow-throated Vireo (*La Plata)

Curve-billed Thrasher (Arapahoe)

Magnolia Warbler (Bent,Fremont, Kiowa, Prowers)

Black-and White Warbler (Lamar)

Prothonotary Warbler (Larimer)

Worm-eating Warbler (Boulder)

Golden-winged Warbler (*Baca, Prowers)

Tennessee Warbler (*Jefferson, *Otero)

Nashville Warbler (*Bent, Pueblo, *Weld)

Palm Warbler (Jefferson; Yuma)

Bay-breasted Warbler (*Larimer)

Northern Parula (Baca, Bent, Denver, *Huerfano, Prowers)

Northern Waterthrush (Baca, La Plata, Jefferson, Pueblo)

Hooded Warbler (Larimer)

Black-throated Blue Warbler (*Larimer)

Grace’s Warbler (*Pueblo)

Black-throated Gray Warbler (*Huerfano, *Lincoln)

Black-throated Green Warbler (*Bent)

Scarlet Tanager (Larimer)

Summer Tanager (Arapahoe, Baca, Bent, El Paso)

Painted Bunting (Baca)

Canyon Towhee (Baca)

Field Sparrow (Weld)

Black-throated Sparrow (*Conejos)

Fox Sparrow (Summit)

Indigo Bunting (*Bent, *La Plata)

Eastern Meadowlark (Weld)

Scott's Oriole (*Fremont)

Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch (*San Juan)

Black Rosy-Finch (*San Juan)

Brown-capped Rosy-Finch (*San Juan)

*****For locations you are not familiar with (e.g. "Lower Latham"), please
refer to CFO's Colorado County Birding site for directions:
www.coloradocountybirding.org

ARAPAHOE COUNTY:

—On May 7 a Summer Tanager was reported by Tim Luez at South Platte
Reservior.

—On May 7 a Red-headed Woodpecker was reported by Jared Del Rosso at
Marjorie Perry Nature Preserve.

--On May 7 the over wintering Long-tailed Ducks were reported by David
Suddjaian at South Platte Reservoir.

—On May 7 a Curve-billed Thrasher was reported by Gene Rutherford in
Englewood Grove on PRIVATE property - not open to public.

BACA COUNTY:

---On May 9 a Golden-winged Warbler was reported by David Chartier at
Picture Canyon.

—On May 8 a Painted Bunting (male) was reported by Glen Walbek at Picture
Canyon.

—On May 8 a Canyon Towhee was reported by Glen Walbek at Picture Canyon.

—On May 8 a Canyon Towhee was reported by Mackenzie Goldsmith at Sand
Canyon.

—On May 7 a Canyon Towhee was reported by Mike Henwood near Carrizo Canyon
Picnic Area.

—On May 6 two Summer Tanagers were reported by Brandon Percival and other
CFO participants at Two Buttes Reservoir -below the dam.

—On May 6 a Northern Parula (male) was reported by Brandon Percival and
other CFO participants at Two Buttes Reservoir -below the dam.

—On May 6 a Northern Waterthrush was reported by Brandon Percival and other
CFO participants at Two Buttes Reservoir -below the dam.

BENT COUNTY:

---On May 10 a m Indigo Bunting and m Nashville Warbler were reported by
Brandon Percival at Van's Grove.

---On May 10 a f Black-throated Green Warbler was reported by Brandon
Percival at Hasty Campground.

—On May 9 a Red-throated Loon was reported by Gloria Nikolai at John Martin
Reservoir.

—On May 8 a Veery was reported by Steve Brown at Temple Grove.

—On May 5 a Magnolia Warbler was reported by Austin Hess at Melody Tempel
Grove. 40 or 50 yards up the canal trail on the left side as you're walking
east.

—On May 4 a Northern Parula was reported by Brandon Percival at the Hasty
Campground.

—On May 4 a Red-bellied Woodpecker was reported by Brandon Percival at
Hasty Campground.

--On May 2 a male Ruby -throated Hummingbird was seen by Duane Nelson On
the North side of Lamar Community College grove

—On May 1 a male Summer Tanager was reported by Duane Nelson at Tempel
Grove in NE Bent County.

—On May 1 a Black Rail was heard by Duane Nelson at the Ft. Lyon Marsh
complex.

BOULDER COUNTY:

—On May 9 a Gray Flycatcher was reported by Mark Minner-Lee at Skunk Canyon
Trails.

—On May 8 a Worm-eating Warbler was reported by Nathan Pieplow (possibly
same bird he found on April 30). The bird was along Boulder Creek below
the CU Boulder Recreation Center, foraging and calling near the footbridge
nearest Folsom in the am.

The Worm-eating Warbler continues in the same location as of noon today
(Mon. May 9).

—On May 6 a Black Phoebe was reported by Paula Hansley at Walden Ponds.

—On May 1 a Bewick’s Wren was reported by David Pettee on Dartmouth Ave.

CONEJOS COUNTY:

---On May 10 3 Black-throated Sparrows were reported by Marshall Iliff at
Pinon Hills in John James Canyon.

---On May 10 an American Three-toed Woodpecker was reported by Marshall
Iliff on the north side of La Manga Pass.

---On May 10 5 American Three-toed Woodpeckers were reported by Marshall
Iliff on Cumbres Pass road at Woodpecker Cove.

2 f were seen, 1 m seed, 2 heard only.

DENVER COUNTY:

—On May 1 a Northern Parula was reported by Nathan Pieplow at City Park,
just northwest of the gazebo at the west end of Ferril Lake.

EL PASO COUNTY:

---On May 10 a Glossy Ibis was reported by Richard Bunn, Bill Maynard, and
Aaron Driscoll on Kane Road (South of Squirrel Creek Road).

—On May 8 a Winter Wren was reported by Kyle Hawley at Fountain Creek
Regional Park - Nature Center/Cattail Marsh area.

—On May 7 a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was reported by Kara Carragher at
Chico Basin Ranch (fee area). The bird was seen for approx. 30 seconds as
it flew over the road and continued southeast.

—On May 7 a Winter Wren was reported by Kyle Hawley at Fountain Creek
Regional Park-Nature Center/Cattail Marsh area.

—On May 7 a Black Swift and 2 White-tailed Swifts were reported by Steve
Getty in the Broadmoor neighborhood pushed tens of swallows, 2 White-tailed
Swifts, on a lake (Stratton Reservoir,???). The lake 1.5 km east of the
Broadmoor at corner of Lake and Springmeadow Drives.

—On May 7 a Summer Tanager (female) was reported by Steve Getty in
neighborhood immediately south of Bear Creek Regional Park.

—On May 6 a Least Tern was reported in the AM by Richard Bunn and Jan
Allbright at Big Johnson Reservoir. It was relocated at 3:36PM at the
southeast cove.

FREMONT COUNTY:

---On May 10 a Scott's Oriole was reported by Rich Miller at Brush Hollow
Reservoir east shore.

—On May 5 a Red-headed Woodpecker was reported by SeEtta Moss on the Canon
City Riverwalk above the ropes course. This is a very rare species in
Fremont County.

HUERFANO COUNTY:

---On May 10 a Northern Parula and Black-throated Gray Warbler were
reported by Chris Wood and Jesse Berry at Silver Spur which is between
Walsenburg and Aguilar.

JEFFERSON COUNTY:

--ON May 10 a Tennessee Warbler was reported by Gerald Baines at Welchester
Tree Park.

—On May 9 a Palm Warbler was reported by Sara Handy at Harriman Lake Park.

—On May 8 a Northern Waterthrush was reported by Bob Righter at Denver
Botanic Gardens Chatfield location.

—On May 8 a Palm Warbler was reported by Mark Chavez at Harriman Lake.

— On May 8 a Gray Flycatcher was reported at Bear Creek Lake Park.

—On May 6 a Glossy Ibis was reported by Matt Clark at Harriman Lake Park.

—On May 5 a Gray Flycatcher was reported by Doug Kibbe at Ketring Park.

KIOWA COUNTY:

—On May 9 a Magnolia Warbler was reported by Dean Shoup at Upper
Queens/Neeskah Reservoir.

—On May 6 a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was reported by Norm Earthal in Eads.

—On May 5 two (2) American Golden Plovers were reported by Peter Burke at
Sheridan Lake Area.

KIT CARSON COUNTY:

—On May 8 a Gray Flycatcher was reported by David Dowell at Flagler
Reservoir State Wildlife Area.

LA PLATA COUNTY:

---On May 10, an imm Indigo Bunting was reported by Ryan Votta and Jason St
Pierre on Bennett St in Durango

—On May 7 a Yellow-throated Vireo was reported by Ryan Votta at Pastorius
reservoir this morning. It was feeding in a small tree beside the bridge
over the inlet canal before it flew to the cottonwoods along the shoreline
to the N of the canal. Ryan re-found the vireo about 20 minutes later on
the s side of the canal in the cottonwoods along the road. It fed and
moved continuously and was last seen at 12:45 pm in the small bunch of
trees to the east of the inlet ditch at the property line. Within minutes
a hail/rain/storm storm blew in. Hopefully the cutie sticks around for
other birders to enjoy. On May 10 Jason St Pierre reported Yellow-throated
Viro at Pastorius Reservoir.

—On May 7 a Black Swift was reported by Ryan Votta at Pastor

—On May 7 a Northern Waterthrush first reported on May 4 was photographed
by Ryan Votta at Pastorious Park.

—On May 6 a Whimbrel was reported by Beth Wolff at Pastorious Park.

LAMAR COUNTY:

—On May 5 a Black-and-white Warbler was reported by Dave Leatherman at
Fairmount Cemetery.

LARIMER COUNTY:

---On May 10 a Cassin's Kingbird was reported by Brad Biggerstaff at
Wellington SWA, Cobb Lake Unit.

---On May 10 a Black-throated Blue Warbler was reported by Sean Walter at
CSU PERC and refound by David Wate.

—On May 8 a Bay-breasted Warbler was reported by Joey Angstman at the
Environmental Learning Center in Ft. Collins. On May 10 Eric DeFonso
reported ay-breasted Warbler at Enviromental Learning Center.

—On May 8 a Hooded Warbler was reported by Greg Golz at ??private
residence??.

—May 3 a Scarlet Tanager was reported by David Wade at Lee Martinez Park in
the large Cottonwoods lining the river near low-dead dam.

LINCOLN COUNTY:

---On May 10 a Black-throated Gray Warbler was reported by Hugh Kingery at
Hugo SWA.

MESA COUNTY:

—On May 8 a Long-tailed Duck first reported on May 1 was reported by David
Price by at Redlands Parkway Ponds.

OTERO COUNTY:

---On May 10 a Tennessee Warbler was reported by Brandon Percival at Rocky
Ford SWA.

---On May 9 a Laughing Gull was reported by Mike Henwood at Holbrook
Reservoir.

PUEBLO COUNTY

---On May 10 A Nashville Warbler was reported by David Chartier at HQ pond
at Chico Basin Ranch (fee area).

—On May 7 a Grace’s Warbler was reported by Daniel Maynard singing at
Pueblo Mountain Park near the Environmental Center.

—On May 7 an Acorn Woodpecker was also reported by Daniel Maynard near the
Environmental Center. On May 10, Tim Lenz reported Acorn Woodpecker and 1
Graces's Warblers at Pueblo Mountain Park.

—On May 3 a Northern Waterthrush was reported by Brandon Percival, close to
the Arkansas River just east of the Fish Hatchery Ponds.

PROWERS COUNTY:

—On May 8 a Magnolia Warbler (ad male) and an American Redstart (ad male)
were reported by Brandon Percival on the North side of Lamar Community
College

—On May 7 two Magnolia Warblers were reported by Glenn Walbek at Lamar
Community College.

—On May 6 a Golden-winged Warbler was a reported by multiple birders at a
private ranch.

RIO GRANDE COUNTY:

--On May 10 a Mexican Mallard was reported by Marshall Iliff at Monte Vista
NWR, Hwy 15 WIldlife Viewing Area.

SAN JUAN COUNTY:

---A Flock of Rosy-Finches of all three species was reported by Roger
Linfield in central parts of Silverton on May 9.

SUMMIT COUNTY:

—On May 1 a Fox Sparrow was reported by Jack Bushong at Bills Ranch Lake.

WASHINGTON COUNTY:

—On May 6 a Broad-winged Hawk was reported by multiple birders at the Last
Chance Rest Area.

WELD COUNTY:

---On May 10 a Red-bellied Woodpecker was reported by Candice Johnson and
Mark Obmascik at Crow Valley CG.

---On May 10 a Nashville Warbler was reported by Mark Obmascik at Crow
Valley CG>

---On May 10 at Red-headed Woodpecker was reported by Rick Reeser on the
Poudre Trail (From 35th Ave) in Greeley.

—On May 8 three Mountain Plovers were reported by Jack Bushon in the fields
along Lee St and 79.

—On May 8 a Broad-winged Hawk was reported by Jack Bushing circling over
Crow Valley

—On May 6 A Red-bellied Woodpecker was reported by John Reichardt at Crow
Valley.

—On May 5 an Eastern Meadowlark was reported by Rachael Hopper near Pawnee
National Grasslands at Weld Rd 104 just east of 57.

—On May1 a Field Sparrow was reported by Judie Wright at Glenmere Park,
west edge of pond.

YUMA COUNTY:

—On May 7 a Great Crested Flycatcher was reported by David Dowell at Sandy
Buffs State Trust Lands and State Wildlife Area.

*Field Trip Opportunities:*

*Prewitt SWA (Washington County)*

*5/12/2016 6:00 AM - 4:30 PM*

*Leader(s): Mark Amershek mame...@msn.com or 303-329-8646*

*Trail Difficulty: *Moderate

*Directions*

Prewitt SWA location shown on map below. Meet at the RTD Park-n-Ride on the
southwest corner of US 287 and Niwot Roadto carpool. This is approximately
1 mile north of the intersection of US 287 and 52. You will need an annual
SWA pass or fishing license that are available on line at CPW or at some
sporting goods stores. You will NOT need a State Parks pass.

*About the Trip*

This trip is limited to the first 14 registrations.

Guest leader will be Chris Owens. This will be a full-day trip so be sure
to bring lunch, snacks, and water. Be sure to also bring scopes,
binoculars, and field guides. Waterproof footwear may also be useful. We
will look for waterfowl, migrants, and any residents preparing for breeding
season. This gem of an SWA has been known to attract some wonderful
migrants. *Register online or contact leader.*

"*LAFAYETTE BIRDS”*

*An ongoing birdwatching opportunity for beginning birders (families &
adults)*

*1-3 p.m. on Sundays May 8, June 5, July 3, Aug. 7, Sept. 4, Oct. 2,
and Nov. 6*

Beginning birders are invited to experience the fun and discovery of
birdwatching at Greenlee Wildlife Preserve, *1-3 p.m. on the Sun., May 8
and then on the first Sunday of each Month, June - Nov., 2016.*
Knowledgeable birdwatchers will be on hand each Sunday with binoculars,
spotting scopes and learning tools to bring the world of birds alive.

View ducks, herons and other water birds as well as a variety of
songbirds. Learn how to use binoculars and field guides and even how to
recognize birds by sound! Enjoy show and tell items to enrich the
understanding of birds for people of all ages. "Birds" is a verb . . .
come join in the fun!

Greenlee Wildlife Preserve, a marsh adjacent to Waneka Lake, is a property
of Lafayette Open Space. To reach the site, park at the east parking lot
for Waneka Lake (where Emma St. ends at Caria Dr. in Lafayette) and walk
1/3 mile around the N.E. side of the Waneka Lake trail. Signs will direct
participants to the viewing platform at the marsh. This program is also
made possible by Boulder Audubon, the Boulder
Back to top