The HELL With IHOP!

Bill B

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
IHOP UHOP the whole world hops.

oh shit I just wrote their next advertising campaign and I won't make a
penny.

IFUCK

Melissa

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
We decided to try brunch at International House Of Pancakes today and went to
the one at 6th and Union in Lakewood. ( we live in Colorado, for those in the
other groups )

The first thing that caught our eye was they no longer take checks. Whoopee.
Automatically treat everyone like a criminal because you don't want to pay
for a check service. We usually walk right out of places that do that, but
were in the door already, were hungry, and figured we'd stay just once, then
tell them why we wouldn't be coming back.

So we ordered and then found out that they no longer know how to make iced
coffee, if they ever did in the first place. Duh-oh Homer! It's coffee over
ice! ( it was hot in there so I ordered that ) Does not compute. They brought
a cup of hot coffee and another of ice, plopped it on the table in front of
me, and said; make it yourself. Then my other half had ordered an orange
Slice. They bring a large orange juice. We were outa there!
Told them we may check back in a YEAR or so, to see if they change any,
though we doubt they will. ( when a restaurant annoys us like that, we
give them AT LEAST a year ) Big corporation, the economy's good, they don't
give a hoot, they don't have to.

We went instead, to White Fence Farms and had their chicken dinner, which was
great. And they take checks.

The place is a big tourist attraction apparently, and we tried them about a
month ago and liked them. Huge place. Known for their specialty fried chicken
dinners.

A very pleasant place in a garden setting, good food ( beware their little
corn fritters, they're sinfully good and irresistible! ) and we could feed
the ducks at their pond afterwards. Nice relaxing idyllic afternoon, after
we got rid of IHOP.

--
- Melissa The perfect Ebay seller's digital snapshot camera:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=199063303>

Support for The Sovereign Individual
<http://www.dimensional.com/~melissa/upanew.htm>

Please boycott Orbital Sciences Corp.& American Express / First Data Corp.
until they do the right thing!
<http://www.dimensional.com/~melissa/jennifer.htm>

Tim Schreiner

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99

Melissa <Meli...@Ydimensional.com> wrote in message

> We decided to try brunch at International House Of Pancakes today and went
> the one at 6th and Union in Lakewood. ( we live in Colorado, for those in
the
> other groups )

I've eaten there...not too bad, but then my expectations probably weren't as
high as yours. Definitely a notch above Denny's, not quite up to LePeep's.

So where is this White Fence Farms ?

Tim

J.D. Baldwin

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
In article <80p985$9io$1...@news2.kornet.net>, Chris McConnell
<spa...@frii.com> wrote:
> melissa I feel it my duty to infom you that checks are a dead
> technology. Credit card are and have been the wave of the future for
> a very long time. Hurry get with the program in 5 years no one will
> take checks. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you.

Uh-huh. And if you believed the "what will be" reports of five years
ago, we were all supposed to have secure, encrypted, untraceable
e-cash by now, usable from within the "smart cards" we're all supposed
to have been carrying around. And yet checks, conventional credit
cards and paper cash still thrive.

Paper checks will be written in, if not the majority, a very large
fraction of retail establishments for the next twenty years. Any
grocery store, for example, that tries to stop taking checks (in a
suburban middle-class area where there is competition, anyway) is
going to find its revenues slashed in a big hurry. I don't see this
changing any time soon.

I say all this as someone who never writes checks except to pay bills,
and who is trying like hell to wean his wife off the nasty habit.
--
From the catapult of J.D. Baldwin |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
_,_ Finger bal...@netcom.com |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to

Melissa

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
timsch...@attglobal.net (Tim Schreiner) wrote in
<38300...@news1.prserv.net>:

>Melissa <Meli...@Ydimensional.com> wrote in message
>> We decided to try brunch at International House Of Pancakes today and
>> went
>> the one at 6th and Union in Lakewood. ( we live in Colorado, for those
>> in
>the
>> other groups )
>
>I've eaten there...not too bad, but then my expectations probably weren't
>as high as yours.

We weren't expecting the ritz, just to have a place treat us like human
beings instead of criminals, and give us what we asked for. When society gets
to the point where they won't do anything about the criminals, then everyone
starts getting treated like one. I've been told by gas station clerks that
the cops won't even bother with people who drive off without paying, anymore,
so they have to treat the rest of us like criminals and make us prepay.

This is a very pervasive attitude we've even talked about in the gun thread.

> Definitely a notch above Denny's, not quite up to
>LePeep's.

As if Le Peep was so great. They gave us so much hassles we quit going there
too, wanting to charge more if they put 2 tea bags in your tea, rather than
one.

>So where is this White Fence Farms ?

It's between Wadsworth and Sheridan on the north side of Jewell. You can't
miss it because they have a big white fence. :-)

Melissa

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
spa...@frii.com (Chris McConnell) wrote in <80p985$9io$1...@news2.kornet.net>:

>melissa I feel it my duty to infom you that checks are a dead
>technology.

Why? Do you work for a credit card company?

Maybe they are in New Yuk City, or LA, where you can't trust anyone, but 95%
of the places here in Colorado still take mine, most without even asking for
ID.

Heinlein ( who was either a libertarian or anarchist, I'm not sure ) used to
say that it was time to move on from a place when they started requiring ID.
Maybe this is just a sign that the Denver area is getting so authoritarian
and overpopulated that it's time to move on to a more free place. When I
first moved out here in 1979 from south Florida, I loved how people use to
look you in the eye and smile when you passed them on the street, not like
back there. Now it's changing. Must be the signs of the big overpopulated
city.

> Credit card are and have been the wave of the future for a
>very long time. Hurry get with the program in 5 years no one will take
>checks. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you.

Big Brother is here, and somehow I don't quite believe that you're sorry to
have to be the one to tell me.

We'd actually rather avoid credit cards, as they're traps. We get bombarded
by "buy now, pay later" ads, that make "later" sound like never. We're
constantly encouraged to spend beyond our means until some of us get in
trouble with it, then of course the card companies still want to be paid or
else. No thanks. We have 3 cards and the goal is to keep them paid off each
month. To do that, it would be necessary not to use them for the everyday
spending of life. Too much of a trap.

Dan D.

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
In co.general Melissa <Meli...@ydimensional.com> wrote:
->We'd actually rather avoid credit cards, as they're traps. We get bombarded
->by "buy now, pay later" ads, that make "later" sound like never. We're
->constantly encouraged to spend beyond our means until some of us get in
->trouble with it, then of course the card companies still want to be paid or
->else. No thanks. We have 3 cards and the goal is to keep them paid off each
->month. To do that, it would be necessary not to use them for the everyday
->spending of life. Too much of a trap.

Get a debit card. Some of the hype in the commercials is actually true.
Works like a check, accepted by places that don't take checks, and
doesn't require ID. You don't get the float you get with a credit card,
but you don't have to worry about digging yourself into the massive
debt hole.

Or you could preserve your anonymity (since you want to use a check
I'm assuming that's not your goal) and pay cash.

-DanD

--
# Dan D (kd4igw) da...@rmi.net da...@frottage.com http://rmi.net/~dand
# Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

DaveG

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99

> As if Le Peep was so great. They gave us so much hassles we quit going
there
> too, wanting to charge more if they put 2 tea bags in your tea, rather
than
> one.

People go to Le Peep to pay for a product (food/beverage). You wanted two
products (tea bags) but you only wanted to pay for one, and because they
dont give away there food, you quit going there. You had to pay for one, why
not the other? Honestly, the tea bag is what they are charging you for, not
the water.

And checks are a primitive, pain in the arse that many restaurants don't
accept anymore, its nothing new.
(no offense intended, I just worked in the service industry through HS and
college, and this thread struck a nerve)

--
DaveG

"It is an interesting question how far men would retain their relative rank
if they were divested of their clothes."
--Henry David Thoreau (1817-62)

Robin

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:22:21 GMT, Melissa wrote...

> We'd actually rather avoid credit cards, as they're traps. We get bombarded

> by "buy now, pay later" ads, that make "later" sound like never. We're

> constantly encouraged to spend beyond our means until some of us get in

> trouble with it, then of course the card companies still want to be paid or

> else. No thanks. We have 3 cards and the goal is to keep them paid off each

> month. To do that, it would be necessary not to use them for the everyday

> spending of life. Too much of a trap.

Okay, let's say you write a check for $10 at IHOP, and charge $50 worth
of whatever you *do* use your credit cards for. At the end of the month,
you've paid $60.

If you charged the $10, you've still paid $60.

The only logical reason I see for not using CCs for everyday purchases is
someone who truly does not have the self control to live within their
means. Fortunately we do, so we can use CCs to their full potential.

--
There's no need to e-mail me a copy of a follow-up; but if you do,
please identify it as such.

Tim Schreiner

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99

> timsch...@attglobal.net (Tim Schreiner) wrote in
> <38300...@news1.prserv.net>:
>

> >Melissa <Meli...@Ydimensional.com> wrote in message
> >> We decided to try brunch at International House Of Pancakes today and
> >> went
> >> the one at 6th and Union in Lakewood. ( we live in Colorado, for those
> >> in
> >the
> >> other groups )
> >
> >I've eaten there...not too bad, but then my expectations probably weren't
> >as high as yours.
>
> We weren't expecting the ritz, just to have a place treat us like human
> beings instead of criminals, and give us what we asked for.

Was there something peculiar about your appearance that day ?

> When society gets to the point where they won't do anything about the
> criminals, then everyone starts getting treated like one. I've been told
> by gas station clerks that the cops won't even bother with people who
> drive off without paying, anymore, so they have to treat the rest of us
> like criminals and make us prepay.

Unfortunately this is true, at least in Denver...and I don't like it either.
So if thugs get away with 'free gas' they will continue to see what else
they can get away with.

> This is a very pervasive attitude we've even talked about in the gun
thread.

> > Definitely a notch above Denny's, not quite up to
> >LePeep's.
>

> As if Le Peep was so great. They gave us so much hassles we quit going
there
> too, wanting to charge more if they put 2 tea bags in your tea, rather
than
> one.

Ok, I seldom drink tea ... so I don't deal with bags.

> >So where is this White Fence Farms ?
>
> It's between Wadsworth and Sheridan on the north side of Jewell. You can't
> miss it because they have a big white fence. :-)

Would that be a 'white picket fence' ?

Tim

Tim Schreiner

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
johndoe <joh...@monmouth.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:14:50 GMT, Meli...@Ydimensional.com (Melissa)
> wrote:
>
> >We weren't expecting the ritz, just to have a place treat us like human
> >beings instead of criminals, and give us what we asked for
>
> not accepting checks is far from treating you like a criminal, I think
> you are over reacting just a bit

Unless your signature comes out of a spray can ... :)

bijoudog

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
Here's my take, if it matters a whit:

1. It's a large corporate chain, so do not expect something not
on the menu. (iced coffee) At least they made an attempt. Now,
how do they correctly charge you on their pre-programmed check
generator?

2. In a business where the typical bill is so small, a check is a
rarity and a hassle to deal with. It may be in a place like IHOP
that the majority of checks are written by those with no funds to
back them. If the tip is included in the check, and the
establishment pays the server the cash, is the restaurant then
directly out the cash for the tip?

3. The only actual mistake (yes, mistake, HUMAN error) was
unfortunately bringing an incorrect beverage to your other half.
The horror! Perhaps the allowance for a simple error certainly
not borne of hostility would be in order. These folks are not
working there for the fun of it; they're just doing their best to
earn a lving.

My guess is that you started off in a less than stellar frame of
mind, and this was a thing to focus your malice on? It was enough
to purge the feeling by the time you got to the other restaurant.

GenX

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
Just my 2 sense:
I love IHOP because they bring the pot of coffee to you <<and leave it on
the table>>. It takes 15minutes at Dennys to get a 1 cup refill.

Rick Willis

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99
ant...@pobox.com, in article <4O4Y3.643$P4.1...@den-news1.rmi.net>
from ant...@pobox.com on Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:09:36 GMT, took a mighty
swig of Jack Daniels, deeply inhaled a lung-busting hit of chronic,
coughed profusely and then uttered...
> In co.general Chris McConnell <spa...@frii.com> wrote:
> : melissa I feel it my duty to infom you that checks are a dead
> : technology. Credit card are and have been the wave of the future for a

> : very long time. Hurry get with the program in 5 years no one will take
> : checks. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you.
>
> Hmmph! As far as I'm concerned, they can take my check or they can take my
> cash. If they won't take either, they clearly do not want my business.
>
> The credit card is one of the worst inventions ever devised, IMHO.
>
> Antryg

Has no one (especially those in larger cities) ever heard of a check
card? They can be used anywhere that accepts credit cards, but unlike
cc's, will only allow you to "charge" up to the maximum amount in one's
checking account.
--
Have a hardcore day...

Rick

Chris

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99

"Dan D." wrote:

> In co.general Melissa <Meli...@ydimensional.com> wrote:

> ->We'd actually rather avoid credit cards, as they're traps. We get bombarded
> ->by "buy now, pay later" ads, that make "later" sound like never. We're
> ->constantly encouraged to spend beyond our means until some of us get in
> ->trouble with it, then of course the card companies still want to be paid or
> ->else. No thanks. We have 3 cards and the goal is to keep them paid off each
> ->month. To do that, it would be necessary not to use them for the everyday

> ->spending of life. Too much of a trap.
>
> Get a debit card. Some of the hype in the commercials is actually true.
> Works like a check, accepted by places that don't take checks, and
> doesn't require ID. You don't get the float you get with a credit card,
> but you don't have to worry about digging yourself into the massive
> debt hole.

True, but watch what your downside is if it's stolen. At that point the thief has
access to your account - and when gone the funds may not be returned.

At least credit cards have a tad more protection - and you, or anyone, can still
treat them with restraint, and get the additional bennie of being able to dispute
a charge if merchandise or services are unsatisfactory.

Not so with a debit, once used, money is deducted.

> Or you could preserve your anonymity (since you want to use a check
> I'm assuming that's not your goal) and pay cash.

Like those cool new monopoly 20$ bills - I keep asking whether I need to pass
Marvin Gardens first or just go to Boardwalk.

Chris

Nov 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/15/99

Melissa wrote:

> We decided to try brunch at International House Of Pancakes today and went to
> the one at 6th and Union in Lakewood. ( we live in Colorado, for those in the
> other groups )
>

> The first thing that caught our eye was they no longer take checks. Whoopee.

Their choice - there might be a reason though...

> Automatically treat everyone like a criminal because you don't want to pay
> for a check service.

Well the "check service" is something "we" ALL pay for through increased costs,
maybe they looked at the % of people using checks anymore and said - no way.

> We usually walk right out of places that do that, but
> were in the door already, were hungry, and figured we'd stay just once, then
> tell them why we wouldn't be coming back.

Which, like so many of your other US vs. THEM posts is further illustrative of a
bitchy combative attitude.

You set up a situation NOT to meet your needs, and now we get to hear what a
crime that was...sigh...

> So we ordered and then found out that they no longer know how to make iced
> coffee, if they ever did in the first place.

Ok, so?

DCid you refer to that placard handed you prior to your choices also known as a
MENU?..DUH!

> Duh-oh Homer! It's coffee over
> ice! ( it was hot in there so I ordered that ) Does not compute.

What doesn't compute is that you expected them to deliver a non-menu item.

> They brought
> a cup of hot coffee and another of ice, plopped it on the table in front of
> me, and said; make it yourself.

Ingenious I'd say.

Iced coffee went out with Lawrence Welk dear...

> Then my other half had ordered an orange
> Slice. They bring a large orange juice. We were outa there!

Oh the humanity!

Real OJ instead of the chemical equivalent - those barbarians!

> Told them we may check back in a YEAR or so, to see if they change any,

ANd I'm sure they're awaiting your next sojourn with baited breath...not!

> though we doubt they will.

Hey, too damned bad you didn't ask them for Peking Duck too - then you could have
really gotten po'd!

> ( when a restaurant annoys us like that, we
> give them AT LEAST a year )

Chuckle ...look around you, your punishment got out numbered the minute they
turned that table Melissa.

> Big corporation, the economy's good, they don't
> give a hoot, they don't have to.

Er, you're the one asking for non menu items and then pitching the grand hoo wah!

> We went instead, to White Fence Farms and had their chicken dinner, which was
> great.

If you like grease you're in heaven.

> And they take checks.

Natcherally.

> The place is a big tourist attraction apparently, and we tried them about a
> month ago and liked them. Huge place. Known for their specialty fried chicken
> dinners.

Right - gotcha!

> A very pleasant place in a garden setting, good food ( beware their little
> corn fritters, they're sinfully good and irresistible! ) and we could feed
> the ducks at their pond afterwards. Nice relaxing idyllic afternoon, after
> we got rid of IHOP.

'K - so why'd ya go to a pancake house looking for iced coffee and Orange Slice
anyway?

In the mood to add them to your corporate hall of shame along with Dennys and
Marie Callenders - who amongst us here could ever forget the diaper changing
tale?

You need to quit looking for trouble - it seems you either find or manufacture it
with alacrity.

Classic victim mentality...

"Why do these things keep happening to me?"

Chris McConnell

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99

ant...@pobox.com

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
In co.general Chris McConnell <spa...@frii.com> wrote:
: melissa I feel it my duty to infom you that checks are a dead

: technology. Credit card are and have been the wave of the future for a
: very long time. Hurry get with the program in 5 years no one will take
: checks. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you.

Hmmph! As far as I'm concerned, they can take my check or they can take my

cash. If they won't take either, they clearly do not want my business.

The credit card is one of the worst inventions ever devised, IMHO.

Antryg

--
ant...@pobox.com
http://www.pobox.com/~antryg
"Words of wisdom are best taught by living them." -Me

Melissa

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
joh...@monmouth.com (johndoe) wrote in
<CZEwOH7HKyJV09...@4ax.com>:

>On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:14:50 GMT, Meli...@Ydimensional.com (Melissa)
>wrote:
>
>>We weren't expecting the ritz, just to have a place treat us like human
>>beings instead of criminals, and give us what we asked for
>
>not accepting checks is far from treating you like a criminal, I think
>you are over reacting just a bit

Not really, it's the same mind set that wants to punish you for what other
people do.

Melissa

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
timschreiner(*)attglobal.net (Tim Schreiner) wrote in
<3830a...@news1.prserv.net>:

>> We weren't expecting the ritz, just to have a place treat us like human

>> beings instead of criminals, and give us what we asked for.
>
>Was there something peculiar about your appearance that day ?

Nothing to do with it, they had big signs up all over that said NO CHECKS.

>> When society gets to the point where they won't do anything about the
>> criminals, then everyone starts getting treated like one. I've been told
>> by gas station clerks that the cops won't even bother with people who
>> drive off without paying, anymore, so they have to treat the rest of us
>> like criminals and make us prepay.
>
>Unfortunately this is true, at least in Denver...and I don't like it either.
>So if thugs get away with 'free gas' they will continue to see what else
>they can get away with.

And you get told to prepay for the gas. How do you like being blamed for what
other people do?

>> This is a very pervasive attitude we've even talked about in the gun
>thread.
>>
>> > Definitely a notch above Denny's, not quite up to
>> >LePeep's.
>>
>> As if Le Peep was so great. They gave us so much hassles we quit going
>there
>> too, wanting to charge more if they put 2 tea bags in your tea, rather
>than
>> one.
>
>Ok, I seldom drink tea ... so I don't deal with bags.

You take the blond and I'll take the brunette.

>> >So where is this White Fence Farms ?
>>
>> It's between Wadsworth and Sheridan on the north side of Jewell. You can't
>> miss it because they have a big white fence. :-)
>>
>Would that be a 'white picket fence' ?

The one.

Chris McConnell

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
One should not invoke Heinleins name in the same sentance as libral or
anarchy. He was in fact a naval officer and belived quite strongly in a
military controled goverment the much dreaded dictatorship! By the way
try to write checks in fast food places like IHOP in Jeffco some time.

Chris McConnell

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
so what happens when he steals your checks?

Tweek

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
In article <3830F84F...@right.now>, Chris <whoever> wrote:

>> So we ordered and then found out that they no longer know how to make iced
>> coffee, if they ever did in the first place.
>
>Ok, so?
>
>DCid you refer to that placard handed you prior to your choices also known as a
>MENU?..DUH!

Hm. Does the menu specify HOT Coffee, or just Coffee?

Of all the things for this group (which appears to be turning very
anti-consumer in this thread) to nit-pick on.

| Had your share of stoopid(tm) people? | |
| View the "Contra Costa Whines" at | [This space for lease] |
| http://www.io.com/~tweek/cocowhine/ | |

Tweek

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
Rick Willis <wil...@email.com> wrote:

>Has no one (especially those in larger cities) ever heard of a check
>card? They can be used anywhere that accepts credit cards, but unlike
>cc's, will only allow you to "charge" up to the maximum amount in one's
>checking account.

Check cards do NOT offer the protection of a credit card. They are NOT
the same.

Even if your check card issuer gives you (or says you have) the same
protections as a credit card, if your card is used fradualantly, you
are OUT of that money from your account (and therefore feeling it) until
(if) the bank finds in your favor. With a credit card, you are only out
of it on paper and still have use of your money in the bank during the
investigation period.

Dan D.

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
In co.general Chris <he...@right.now> wrote:
->True, but watch what your downside is if it's stolen. At that point the thief has
->access to your account - and when gone the funds may not be returned.

A stolen checkbook carries risks as well.

My credit union treats my debit card like a credit card in that
I'm only liable for the first $50 charged if it's stolen.

-DanD

# Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead.
# Benjamin Franklin

Tweek

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
Dan D. <da...@rmi.net> wrote:
>In co.general Chris <he...@right.now> wrote:
>->True, but watch what your downside is if it's stolen. At that point the thief has
>->access to your account - and when gone the funds may not be returned.
>
>A stolen checkbook carries risks as well.

With no signature required prior to it being honored by the bank?

>My credit union treats my debit card like a credit card in that
>I'm only liable for the first $50 charged if it's stolen.

In that they will immediately replace the funds in your checking
account PRIOR to their investigation of the dispute?

Robin

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 18:21:54 GMT, Tweek wrote...

> Dan D. <da...@rmi.net> wrote:
> >In co.general Chris <he...@right.now> wrote:
> >->True, but watch what your downside is if it's stolen. At that point the thief has
> >->access to your account - and when gone the funds may not be returned.
> >
> >A stolen checkbook carries risks as well.
>
> With no signature required prior to it being honored by the bank?

I don't know this for a fact, but somehow I doubt banks check each cheque
against it's signature card.

Even if they did, there's plenty you can do with someone's account and
routing numbers that doesn't require a signature. Set up direct debit,
etc.

Dan D.

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
In co.general Tweek <tw...@netcom.com> wrote:
->>A stolen checkbook carries risks as well.

->With no signature required prior to it being honored by the bank?

I know several people who have had stolen checks turn up all
over town, and YES some of them cleared the banks. Those that
didn't clear the bank did horrible things to their credit ratings
which took amazing amounts of work to clear up.

->>My credit union treats my debit card like a credit card in that
->>I'm only liable for the first $50 charged if it's stolen.

->In that they will immediately replace the funds in your checking
->account PRIOR to their investigation of the dispute?

Dunno.

-DanD

# BUREAUCRACY: a method for transforming energy into solid waste.

Rick Willis

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
Tweek, in article <FLAtM...@moraga.ness.com> from tw...@netcom.com on
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 16:25:26 GMT, took a mighty swig of Jack Daniels,
deeply inhaled a lung-busting hit of chronic, coughed profusely and then
uttered...

Rick Willis <wil...@email.com> wrote:

> >Has no one (especially those in larger cities) ever heard of a check
> >card? They can be used anywhere that accepts credit cards, but unlike
> >cc's, will only allow you to "charge" up to the maximum amount in one's
> >checking account.
>
> Check cards do NOT offer the protection of a credit card. They are NOT
> the same.
>
> Even if your check card issuer gives you (or says you have) the same
> protections as a credit card, if your card is used fradualantly, you
> are OUT of that money from your account (and therefore feeling it) until
> (if) the bank finds in your favor. With a credit card, you are only out
> of it on paper and still have use of your money in the bank during the
> investigation period.

Who suggested they were the same as or provided the "same" protections
as credit cards? This argument you present is tired and bore some --
I've used a check/debit card for the past six years. I make many
purchases both via the Internet and at various retail establishments. I
have NEVER had a cent deducted from my bank account that I wasn't
DIRECTLY responsible for. I also have a couple other other banking
accounts where the bulk of my hard-earned dollars reside. I don't keep
huge amounts of cash in my checking account, and can't understand why
anyone would. IF the card were lost or stolen, I may stand to loose
anywhere from $50-300 -- temporarily. It's just not that big a worry to
me, ESPECIALLY since neither have ever happened. No, my friend, I would
not "feel" the slight inconvenience caused by $300 missing from the old
checking account until the bank replaced it -- sorry to disappoint you.

Granted, if I were addle-minded enough to LOSE the card, I guess I would
have to suffer the consequences (and in a way, would deserve it). So
what the SAME protections aren't provided as with credit cards? Visa,
though the bank I do business with, DOES provide a limited loss provided
the card is reported stolen within 24 hours. IMHO, people who tout the
advantages of CC's vs. DC's are narrow-minded and paranoid (or senile).
Yeah, I carry a couple CC's, but only use them for major purchases. I
much prefer check cards to credit cards any day of the week.
--
Rick

Chris

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99

Tweek wrote:

> In article <3830F84F...@right.now>, Chris <whoever> wrote:
> >
> >> So we ordered and then found out that they no longer know how to make iced
> >> coffee, if they ever did in the first place.
> >
> >Ok, so?
> >
> >DCid you refer to that placard handed you prior to your choices also known as a
> >MENU?..DUH!
>
> Hm. Does the menu specify HOT Coffee, or just Coffee?

The 99th percentile assumption would be that it is served "hot".

Further her post specified some ambiguity of ability to deliver "iced coffee" from
the wait staff.

Hence the mug and separate cup of ice - gad, at least credit the wait staff with
creative save effort...

> Of all the things for this group (which appears to be turning very
> anti-consumer in this thread) to nit-pick on.

Indeed!

Chris

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99

"Dan D." wrote:

> In co.general Chris <he...@right.now> wrote:
> ->True, but watch what your downside is if it's stolen. At that point the thief has
> ->access to your account - and when gone the funds may not be returned.
>

> A stolen checkbook carries risks as well.

Huge ones - agreed. Check doping can really mess your credit for a looong time...

> My credit union treats my debit card like a credit card in that

> I'm only liable for the first $50 charged if it's stolen.

ANd that's the beauty of *some* cu's.

Many debit cards are 250$ and up for the consumer hit - and that sucks.

Some are worse...and that's intolerable.

> -DanD
>
> --
> # Dan D (kd4igw) da...@rmi.net da...@frottage.com http://rmi.net/~dand

Jim Dompier

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
In article <T2%X3.604$P4.9...@den-news1.rmi.net>, da...@rmi.net says...

> In co.general Melissa <Meli...@ydimensional.com> wrote:
> ->We'd actually rather avoid credit cards, as they're traps. We get bombarded
> ->by "buy now, pay later" ads, that make "later" sound like never. We're
> ->constantly encouraged to spend beyond our means until some of us get in
> ->trouble with it, then of course the card companies still want to be paid or
> ->else. No thanks. We have 3 cards and the goal is to keep them paid off each
> ->month. To do that, it would be necessary not to use them for the everyday
> ->spending of life. Too much of a trap.
>
> Get a debit card. Some of the hype in the commercials is actually true.
> Works like a check, accepted by places that don't take checks, and
> doesn't require ID. You don't get the float you get with a credit card,
> but you don't have to worry about digging yourself into the massive
> debt hole.

AND, you won't hold people up who are in line behind you, while you write
the check. (GRRRRRR)

--

__**__
**

** My email address has been foiled to avoid spam. **

** Is there another word for synonym? **

BG

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

Tweek <tw...@netcom.com> wrote in message news:FLAtM...@moraga.ness.com...

> Rick Willis <wil...@email.com> wrote:
> >
> >Has no one (especially those in larger cities) ever heard of a check
> >card? They can be used anywhere that accepts credit cards, but unlike
> >cc's, will only allow you to "charge" up to the maximum amount in one's
> >checking account.
>
> Check cards do NOT offer the protection of a credit card. They are NOT
> the same.

Depends on your bank. Many banks now offer the same buyer protection as is
offered on ther branded Visa/Master Cards

> Even if your check card issuer gives you (or says you have) the same
> protections as a credit card, if your card is used fradualantly, you
> are OUT of that money from your account (and therefore feeling it) until
> (if) the bank finds in your favor. With a credit card, you are only out
> of it on paper and still have use of your money in the bank during the
> investigation period.

Again, depends on your bank.

BG

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

Tweek <tw...@netcom.com> wrote in message news:FLAz0...@moraga.ness.com...

> Dan D. <da...@rmi.net> wrote:
> >In co.general Chris <he...@right.now> wrote:
> >->True, but watch what your downside is if it's stolen. At that point the
thief has
> >->access to your account - and when gone the funds may not be returned.
> >
> >A stolen checkbook carries risks as well.
>
> With no signature required prior to it being honored by the bank?
>

> >My credit union treats my debit card like a credit card in that
> >I'm only liable for the first $50 charged if it's stolen.
>
> In that they will immediately replace the funds in your checking
> account PRIOR to their investigation of the dispute?

Mine does. Just required to report stolen within 24hrs and am only liable
for first $50.

Melissa

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
tacti...@yahoo.com (Chris McConnell) wrote in <383221E...@frii.com>:

I believe that's where I had the experience. Why?

ant...@pobox.com

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
In co.general Bob Ward <rcw...@gte.net> wrote:
: On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:09:36 GMT, ant...@pobox.com wrote:

:>In co.general Chris McConnell <spa...@frii.com> wrote:
:>: melissa I feel it my duty to infom you that checks are a dead
:>: technology. Credit card are and have been the wave of the future for a
:>: very long time. Hurry get with the program in 5 years no one will take
:>: checks. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you.
:>
:>Hmmph! As far as I'm concerned, they can take my check or they can take my
:>cash. If they won't take either, they clearly do not want my business.
:>
:>The credit card is one of the worst inventions ever devised, IMHO.
:>
:>Antryg

: Would you still feel the same way if your credit history allowed you
: to qualify for a credit card?

It does.

Sue

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

Jim Dompier wrote in message ...

>> Get a debit card. Some of the hype in the commercials is actually true.
>> Works like a check, accepted by places that don't take checks, and
>> doesn't require ID. You don't get the float you get with a credit card,
>> but you don't have to worry about digging yourself into the massive
>> debt hole.
>
>AND, you won't hold people up who are in line behind you, while you write
>the check. (GRRRRRR)

Check writers don't care. I once was in line in a grocery store behind
a woman who wrote a check for a few items, totalling less than $2.

On the other hand, a few days ago at Home Depot, I bought about
$14 worth of stuff. I gave the guy a $20 bill plus the right change
so I would get exactly $6 back. Then it turned out the cashier
was low on small bills. He had to take a $50 bill, close his
register, and go over to some other register to get change.
So much for paying cash to speed up the transaction. The thing
that was annoying was that he just closed up his register and
walked away without a word of explanation to me. (Not to
restart the "Cashiers" thread again. . .)

Sue

David Meyers

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
Bob Ward <rcw...@gte.net> writes:

> My BANK (Bank of America) does not hold me liable for ANY amount if my
> debit card is reported stolen.

But until the investigation is comlpeted, you are out the
cash for any fraudulent charges. That can cause bounced
checks and loss of interest at a minimum.

Much better to use a credit card, if you pay it off in full
every month.

--d

Andrew Wiggin

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 02:39:13 GMT, Meli...@Ydimensional.com (Melissa)
wrote:

>Please boycott Orbital Sciences Corp.& American Express / First Data Corp.
>until they do the right thing!
><http://www.dimensional.com/~melissa/jennifer.htm>

What's your beef with Orbital Sciences Corp.? I went to the web page
cited, but saw no mention of Orbital...

TBone

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
The HELL With IHOP ?
The HELL With YOU !
IHOP is a part of me.
3 or 4 in the morning.
Mountain, Felix Papalardi, crashing through the head, the Denver Coliseum a
memory now, smoky blur.
The ride through the back streets, through downtown, south on Broadway.
Making all the lights.
Or Bonham. D'Yer Maker, Bring it on home.
The IHOP sanctuary, a booth at least and not too well lit.
That little rack of colored syrup to twirl.
Zappa with Ruth Underwood, percussing like the Tazmanian.
Then breakfast and Coffee.
And Agnes understood the kids now.
Acting like adults.
Taking care of us.
The HELL With IHOP ?
The HELL With YOU !

--
TimW, Halfordian Golfer
"A Cash Flow Runs Through It..."

Vicki Holzhauer

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
In article <1UyY3.5697$ue2....@news4.atl> "Sue" <su...@bellsouth.netx> writes:

>Jim Dompier wrote in message ...
>>> Get a debit card. Some of the hype in the commercials is actually true.
>>> Works like a check, accepted by places that don't take checks, and
>>> doesn't require ID. You don't get the float you get with a credit card,
>>> but you don't have to worry about digging yourself into the massive
>>> debt hole.
>>
>>AND, you won't hold people up who are in line behind you, while you write
>>the check. (GRRRRRR)
>

>Check writers don't care. I once was in line in a grocery store behind
>a woman who wrote a check for a few items, totalling less than $2.

Please don't generalize. When I use a check at the supermarket, I
always have it pre-written with the recipient, date, and my signature.
I only have to fill in the amount. One can still be considerate while
using checks. Debit cards often take as long or even longer to
process than a pre-written check, especially if the processing time
(i.e., time it takes to get approval and print out a receipt) is slow
that day.

Lee Sebel

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
In article <MPG.129a4ffb5...@naxs.ispnews.com>, Robin
<rob...@softhome.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 1999 21:22:21 GMT, Melissa wrote...

> > We'd actually rather avoid credit cards, as they're traps. We get bombarded

> > by "buy now, pay later" ads, that make "later" sound like never. We're

> > constantly encouraged to spend beyond our means until some of us get in

> > trouble with it, then of course the card companies still want to be paid or

> > else. No thanks. We have 3 cards and the goal is to keep them paid off each

> > month. To do that, it would be necessary not to use them for the everyday

> > spending of life. Too much of a trap.
>

> Okay, let's say you write a check for $10 at IHOP, and charge $50 worth
> of whatever you *do* use your credit cards for. At the end of the month,
> you've paid $60.
>
> If you charged the $10, you've still paid $60.
>
> The only logical reason I see for not using CCs for everyday purchases is
> someone who truly does not have the self control to live within their
> means. Fortunately we do, so we can use CCs to their full potential.

Amen! There is much good when CC's are managed properly. Love them perks!

And while I know there is much anti-AmEx sentiment around here, I think
they offer a great product...a card you can use just about anywhere for
just about anything, no way to abuse spending privileges, and frequent
flier/hotel stuff.
I hate spam, so be sure to remove a 'syn' before replying by email

Lee Sebel / Cruise West Marketing
Representing Cruise Audio Systems
www.cruiseaudio.com

Lee Sebel

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

> One should not invoke Heinleins name in the same sentance as libral or
> anarchy. He was in fact a naval officer and belived quite strongly in a
> military controled goverment the much dreaded dictatorship! By the way
> try to write checks in fast food places like IHOP in Jeffco some time.

Are you an English major? ee Cummings fan? Spellcheckerphobic? I would
have a hard time accepting a check signed by "X".

Lee Sebel

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
In article <80qhe6$9u7$1...@ash.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "GenX"
<cspe...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Just my 2 sense:
> I love IHOP because they bring the pot of coffee to you <<and leave it on
> the table>>. It takes 15minutes at Dennys to get a 1 cup refill.

That is a nice touch.

My experience has been mixed, as one might expect with a chain spread
across the country. My last visit, in Bakersfield CA a couple of weeks
ago was excellent...good service, clean restaurant, well-prepared food
with my special requests followed (extra cheese, hashbrowns well done).

Other IHOPs have been the total opposite. My rule of thumb, which has
proven to work more times than not:

The bigger the city, the less likely I am to frequent chain restaurants.
For one thing, I enjoy discovering local hangs, plus it has been my
experience that the chain restaurants in smaller areas have access to
better personnel due to less competition.

Dan D.

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
In co.general Chris <he...@right.now> wrote:
->> I'm only liable for the first $50 charged if it's stolen.

->ANd that's the beauty of *some* cu's.

->Many debit cards are 250$ and up for the consumer hit - and that sucks.

->Some are worse...and that's intolerable.

One could always choose a different credit union. There are
plenty of them out there.

(Unfortunately you'd probably have to have accounts at multiple
banks and/or credit unions to get all the features you want)

-DanD

# I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would
# take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet
# place and kill him. -Mark Twain

Melissa

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
ant...@pobox.com wrote in <gTrY3.773$P4.1...@den-news1.rmi.net>:

>In co.general Bob Ward <rcw...@gte.net> wrote:
>: On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:09:36 GMT, ant...@pobox.com wrote:
>
>:>In co.general Chris McConnell <spa...@frii.com> wrote:
>:>: melissa I feel it my duty to infom you that checks are a dead
>:>: technology. Credit card are and have been the wave of the future for a
>:>: very long time. Hurry get with the program in 5 years no one will take
>:>: checks. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you.
>:>
>:>Hmmph! As far as I'm concerned, they can take my check or they can take my
>:>cash. If they won't take either, they clearly do not want my business.
>:>
>:>The credit card is one of the worst inventions ever devised, IMHO.
>:>
>:>Antryg
>

>: Would you still feel the same way if your credit history allowed you
>: to qualify for a credit card?
>
>It does.

I think he was just slamming you for disagreeing with him, Ray.
Very nice, eh?

--
- Melissa The perfect Ebay seller's digital snapshot camera:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=199063303>
Check out the latest: <http://www.dimensional.com/~melissa/>
To email me, remove the spam spoofing Caps on each side of the @

Support for The Sovereign Individual
<http://www.dimensional.com/~melissa/upanew.htm>

Please boycott Orbital Sciences Corp.& American Express / First Data Corp.

Melissa

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
tfos...@kahala.net (Jim Dompier) wrote in
<MPG.129bd364c...@news.lava.net>:

>In article <T2%X3.604$P4.9...@den-news1.rmi.net>, da...@rmi.net says...
>> In co.general Melissa <Meli...@ydimensional.com> wrote:

>> ->We'd actually rather avoid credit cards, as they're traps. We get
>> bombarded ->by "buy now, pay later" ads, that make "later" sound like
>> never. We're ->constantly encouraged to spend beyond our means until
>> some of us get in ->trouble with it, then of course the card companies
>> still want to be paid or ->else. No thanks. We have 3 cards and the goal
>> is to keep them paid off each ->month. To do that, it would be necessary
>> not to use them for the everyday ->spending of life. Too much of a trap.

>> Get a debit card. Some of the hype in the commercials is actually true.
>> Works like a check, accepted by places that don't take checks, and
>> doesn't require ID. You don't get the float you get with a credit card,
>> but you don't have to worry about digging yourself into the massive
>> debt hole.
>
>AND, you won't hold people up who are in line behind you, while you write
>the check. (GRRRRRR)

Another lame argument, being I always write most of the check out while
standing in line and only have to add the total to it. Try learning a little
patience too. Getting all stressed out like that, over having to wait a
little, is not good for YOU in the long run.

Sue

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

Vicki Holzhauer wrote in message <80ujpc$jbg$1...@ncar.ucar.edu>...

>>>AND, you won't hold people up who are in line behind you, while you write
>>>the check. (GRRRRRR)
>>

>>Check writers don't care. I once was in line in a grocery store behind
>>a woman who wrote a check for a few items, totalling less than $2.
>

>Please don't generalize. When I use a check at the supermarket, I
>always have it pre-written with the recipient, date, and my signature.
>I only have to fill in the amount. One can still be considerate while
>using checks.

You're right, and I shouldn't have generalized, though I think my
example is pretty egregious. But I do take issue with:

>Debit cards often take as long or even longer to
>process than a pre-written check, especially if the processing time
>(i.e., time it takes to get approval and print out a receipt) is slow
>that day.

At the grocery store I go to, they want both your phone number
AND your driver's license number on the checks. And THEY
want to take your driver's license and write that number
themselves, rather than letting you do it. So now matter how
considerate a check writer you are, there is extra time spent
on checks (at least at this store) that you don't get with
debit cards.

Melissa

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
su...@bellsouth.netx (Sue) wrote in <1UyY3.5697$ue2....@news4.atl>:

>Jim Dompier wrote in message ...

>>> Get a debit card. Some of the hype in the commercials is actually true.
>>> Works like a check, accepted by places that don't take checks, and
>>> doesn't require ID. You don't get the float you get with a credit card,
>>> but you don't have to worry about digging yourself into the massive
>>> debt hole.
>>

>>AND, you won't hold people up who are in line behind you, while you write
>>the check. (GRRRRRR)
>

>Check writers don't care. I once was in line in a grocery store behind
>a woman who wrote a check for a few items, totalling less than $2.

You're darned right we don't care. Because we're not so overwound and
impatient that we can't wait a few seconds for someone else. You sound so rat
raced out that you're like an overwound watch spring, read to bust. Try
stopping to smell the roses once in awhile, and being a little more kind to
the people around you.

Sue

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

Melissa wrote in message ...

>su...@bellsouth.netx (Sue) wrote in <1UyY3.5697$ue2....@news4.atl>:
>>Check writers don't care. I once was in line in a grocery store behind
>>a woman who wrote a check for a few items, totalling less than $2.
>
>You're darned right we don't care. Because we're not so overwound and
>impatient that we can't wait a few seconds for someone else. You sound so
rat

You conveniently didn't address my example, which was someone writing
a damn check for $2. I don't usually care about someone writing a check,
but that was ridiculous. You sound pretty wound up yourself.

>raced out that you're like an overwound watch spring, read to bust. Try
>stopping to smell the roses once in awhile, and being a little more kind to
>the people around you.

I do that by not writing checks for trivial amounts. For the same
reason that I let someone with a few items ahead of me in line, it's called
being considerate. I wouldn't do that if I was so worried about time, now
would I?

Sue

Melissa

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
vi...@ale.atd.ucar.edu (Vicki Holzhauer) wrote in
<80ujpc$jbg$1...@ncar.ucar.edu>:

>In article <1UyY3.5697$ue2....@news4.atl> "Sue" <su...@bellsouth.netx>
writes:

>>>AND, you won't hold people up who are in line behind you, while you write
>>>the check. (GRRRRRR)
>>

>>Check writers don't care. I once was in line in a grocery store behind
>>a woman who wrote a check for a few items, totalling less than $2.
>

>Please don't generalize. When I use a check at the supermarket, I
>always have it pre-written with the recipient, date, and my signature.
>I only have to fill in the amount. One can still be considerate while

>using checks. Debit cards often take as long or even longer to

>process than a pre-written check, especially if the processing time
>(i.e., time it takes to get approval and print out a receipt) is slow
>that day.

Thank you.

One day several months ago, I went to Walmart, right after taking one of my
grueling martial arts tests, to get some cologne because I was out. I try not
to shop there most of the time because their corporate culture is religious
reich. But I don't know anywhere else to get this cologne I like. So I'm in
the checkout line and this Asian looking couple ( who seemed like very nice
people ) were in front of me with their kids, and they needed to buy
something for around $200 that they couldn't find stock on. So the cashiers
held up the line for 15 minutes, with making calls and paging people to go
back there and find it, etc. The dreaded "Kmart price check" kind of scene.
In previous times, I would have gotten plenty impatient, because they really
should have opened another lane for everyone else, instead of waiting, but
that day I thought to myself; I have to wait here anyway, so why become
upset?

So I meditated and practiced my flamingo stance in line the whole time.
Didn't open my mouth one peep the whole 15 minutes, just stayed nice &
peaceful. After about 7 minutes, this nasty little bigot woman behind me
starts making loud comments to the woman with her, like "It's those Chinese!
They had to ask for something that wasn't in stock!" And a few minutes later;
"They must have been looking through the whole store for something they
didn't have, so they could do this!" I turned and stared at her. Walmart's
bigotted coprorate culture apparently attracts some similar shoppers.

So they finally finish up with the people and I'm next. I could tell the
clerk expected me to go off on her too. She says; I'm sorry for such a long
wait. I smiled at her and said; that's ok, it gave me the opportunity to
practice my patience. Her face lit up with a big smile, and the nasty bigot
behind me made some snipey comment about the fact that she had run out of
patience. I paid for the cologne and smiled at the Asian couple who were
still standing in front waiting for their item. They smiled back in surprise,
and I left. It was so cool because I was able to keep my cool and feel good
and peaceful through the whole thing! I guess the martial arts class really
is helping me learn patience and find the peace to unwind.

Deborah Stevenson

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Melissa wrote:

> Another lame argument, being I always write most of the check out while
> standing in line and only have to add the total to it. Try learning a little
> patience too. Getting all stressed out like that, over having to wait a
> little, is not good for YOU in the long run.

One might similarly argue it's not good for you to get so stressed over a
malfunctioning franchise-restaurant breakfast :-). Perspective matters.

I pay with checks when it suits me, and I don't consider it my business
how other people pay for what they buy; it's their prerogative to use
whatever method is agreeable to them and the merchant.

However, I think it's a big jump to slamming a restaurant for refusing to
accept checks, and I think your idea that there's "blame" involved is
misguided. You might equally argue they're "blaming" you for other
people's folly when they insist that you pay at the time rather than
running up a tab to pay at the end of the month. I understand that it's
annoying when they don't accept your preferred form of payment, but that's
not necessarily the same thing as a failing on their part, IMHO.

I also understand that a series of annoyances tend to exponentially
enhance the response :-). I hate it myself when I can't seem to get my
fairly simple wants out of a place, and I too would have left feeling
rather frustrated and having little interest in returning to IHOP.

That said, however, I really don't think that provision of coffee with a
glass of ice is an unreasonable way to muster up an off-menu iced coffee,
and I don't think that a mistaken drink order (I'm presuming they had
Orange Slice offered on the menu) is that big a deal as long as they
correct it. So I sympathize with the annoyance level, but I don't see the
fault as that great or the matter as a four-group crosspost :-). (I
currently can't set followups, otherwise I'd put my headers where my mouth
is :-).)

Deborah Stevenson
(stev...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu)

Melissa

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
stev...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu (Deborah Stevenson) wrote in
<Pine.SGI.4.10.991117...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>:

>On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Melissa wrote:
>
>> Another lame argument, being I always write most of the check out while
>> standing in line and only have to add the total to it. Try learning a
>> little patience too. Getting all stressed out like that, over having to
>> wait a little, is not good for YOU in the long run.
>
>One might similarly argue it's not good for you to get so stressed over a
>malfunctioning franchise-restaurant breakfast :-). Perspective matters.

Nice try but we didn't get all that upset. They didn't give us what we wanted
so we just voted with our feet and went somewhere else and had a nice day.
:-)

>I pay with checks when it suits me, and I don't consider it my business
>how other people pay for what they buy; it's their prerogative to use
>whatever method is agreeable to them and the merchant.

That's right.

>However, I think it's a big jump to slamming a restaurant for refusing to
>accept checks, and I think your idea that there's "blame" involved is
>misguided.

Of course there's blame involved. Someone else ripped them off with a bad
check, so they're saying they're blaming us for what someone else did to
them, and don't trust us because of it.

>You might equally argue they're "blaming" you for other
>people's folly when they insist that you pay at the time rather than
>running up a tab to pay at the end of the month.

Now you're off the deep end.

> I understand that it's
>annoying when they don't accept your preferred form of payment, but that's
>not necessarily the same thing as a failing on their part, IMHO.

It is blaming us for what some criminal did, if you can't see that you must
be blind. It's a statement that "someone else stole from us, so we won't
trust you now because of it, because you could be a criminal too". If they
said that right to your face, you'd probably feel pretty offended by it.

And then there's also the fact that they could just as well add 50 cents to
the price and use a check clearing service if they wanted to avoid ripoffs.

>I also understand that a series of annoyances tend to exponentially
>enhance the response :-). I hate it myself when I can't seem to get my
>fairly simple wants out of a place, and I too would have left feeling
>rather frustrated and having little interest in returning to IHOP.
>
>That said, however, I really don't think that provision of coffee with a
>glass of ice is an unreasonable way to muster up an off-menu iced coffee,

I don't even know if it's considered off menu. If you asked for iced tea, it
may only say "tea" on the menu, but they wouldn't suddenly become stupid and
bring you a cup of hot tea and a glass of ice and tell you to make your
fricking own. So why do they do it with coffee? Other restaurants know what
iced coffee is and even how to make it.

>and I don't think that a mistaken drink order (I'm presuming they had
>Orange Slice offered on the menu)

Yes.

> is that big a deal as long as they
>correct it.

Of course not, but at that point it was the third and final straw.
No checks, make your own damned ice coffee, and here's orange juice instead
of Slice... Bye, see you again in maybe a year.

>So I sympathize with the annoyance level, but I don't see the
>fault as that great or the matter as a four-group crosspost :-). (I
>currently can't set followups, otherwise I'd put my headers where my mouth
>is :-).)

Usenet is anarchy and people can post wherever they feel appropriate. You can
too.

Melissa

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
su...@bellsouth.netx (Sue) wrote in <%mDY3.5860$lf7....@news2.atl>:

>At the grocery store I go to, they want both your phone number
>AND your driver's license number on the checks. And THEY
>want to take your driver's license and write that number
>themselves, rather than letting you do it. So now matter how
>considerate a check writer you are, there is extra time spent
>on checks (at least at this store) that you don't get with
>debit cards.

That's just the stupid policies of some stores, then. We print everything on
the checks for them, incuding drivers license number and home phone. They
just insist that some minimum wage clerk ( unsually happens in convenience
stores, which I may shop at once or twice a week for years, but never see the
same clerk twice ) copy all the stuff onto the check, when it's already
there.

Melissa

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
su...@bellsouth.netx (Sue) wrote in <grDY3.5874$lf7....@news2.atl>:

>Melissa wrote in message ...
>>su...@bellsouth.netx (Sue) wrote in <1UyY3.5697$ue2....@news4.atl>:

>>>Check writers don't care. I once was in line in a grocery store behind
>>>a woman who wrote a check for a few items, totalling less than $2.
>>

>>You're darned right we don't care. Because we're not so overwound and
>>impatient that we can't wait a few seconds for someone else. You sound so
>rat
>
>You conveniently didn't address my example, which was someone writing
>a damn check for $2. I don't usually care about someone writing a check,
>but that was ridiculous.

Most check writers don't even like doing that, because they have to reconcile
even the $2 check at the end of the month in balancing their check books. So
I'd assume that the only reason anyone would write one for $2 is because they
were out of cash at the time. Duh. :-)

> You sound pretty wound up yourself.

No actually I'm amused. :-) It always fascinates me how a simple post can get
10-20 people into an extended thread, going off on so many tangents that it
soon has nothing to do with the original topic and someone inevitably winds
up calling someone else a nazi, ending it.

Chris

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

"Dan D." wrote:

> In co.general Chris <he...@right.now> wrote:
> ->> I'm only liable for the first $50 charged if it's stolen.
>
> ->ANd that's the beauty of *some* cu's.
>
> ->Many debit cards are 250$ and up for the consumer hit - and that sucks.
>
> ->Some are worse...and that's intolerable.
>
> One could always choose a different credit union. There are
> plenty of them out there.
>
> (Unfortunately you'd probably have to have accounts at multiple
> banks and/or credit unions to get all the features you want)

So true - sort of like online brokerages in that respect...sigh...

Chris

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

TBone wrote:

T-Bone al la Kerouac...I liked it!

Sue

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

Melissa wrote in message <9XDY3.262$J3....@wormhole.dimensional.com>...

>Most check writers don't even like doing that, because they have to
reconcile
>even the $2 check at the end of the month in balancing their check books.
So
>I'd assume that the only reason anyone would write one for $2 is because
they
>were out of cash at the time. Duh. :-)

If she was that low, she should have written the check for a higher amount
to get cash back. THAT I would have understood, but she didn't.

>No actually I'm amused. :-) It always fascinates me how a simple post can
get
>10-20 people into an extended thread, going off on so many tangents that it

You're right, that happens a lot, but this topic seems pretty close to the
original one. It started with someone complaining that IHOP doesn't take
checks (and other complaints) which has led to this discussion of the
merits of checks versus other forms of payment.

>soon has nothing to do with the original topic and someone inevitably winds
>up calling someone else a nazi, ending it.

Hasn't happened yet. Want to start a pool on when it will happen? :-)

Sue

Deborah Stevenson

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Melissa wrote:

> stev...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu (Deborah Stevenson) wrote in
> <Pine.SGI.4.10.991117...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu>:
>
> >On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Melissa wrote:
> >
> >> Another lame argument, being I always write most of the check out while
> >> standing in line and only have to add the total to it. Try learning a
> >> little patience too. Getting all stressed out like that, over having to
> >> wait a little, is not good for YOU in the long run.
> >
> >One might similarly argue it's not good for you to get so stressed over a
> >malfunctioning franchise-restaurant breakfast :-). Perspective matters.
>
> Nice try

Try at what? I'm merely pointing out a comparison that doesn't seem to
have occurred to you.

>but we didn't get all that upset.

You crossposted to four groups with a subject header in all-caps,
Melissa, and called me "off the deep end" and "blind" for suggesting that
maybe it wasn't that big a deal. If you weren't all that upset, that's not
an effective way of conveying that fact :-).

> Usenet is anarchy and people can post wherever they feel appropriate.

Until the despammers or their ISPs get them, I suppose. But they're going
to get different reader judgments depending on their judgments of
appropriate.

Deborah Stevenson
(stev...@alexia.lis.uiuc.edu)

suzn

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
In article <lnKX3.153$J3....@wormhole.dimensional.com>,
Meli...@Ydimensional.com (Melissa) wrote:
> We decided to try brunch at International House Of Pancakes today and
went to
> the one at 6th and Union in Lakewood. ( we live in Colorado, for
those in the
> other groups )
>
> The first thing that caught our eye was they no longer take checks.
Whoopee.
> Automatically treat everyone like a criminal because you don't want
to pay
> for a check service. We usually walk right out of places that do
that, but
> were in the door already, were hungry, and figured we'd stay just
once, then
> tell them why we wouldn't be coming back.
>
> So we ordered and then found out that they no longer know how to make
iced
> coffee, if they ever did in the first place. Duh-oh Homer! It's
coffee over
> ice! ( it was hot in there so I ordered that ) Does not compute. They
brought
> a cup of hot coffee and another of ice, plopped it on the table in
front of
> me, and said; make it yourself. Then my other half had ordered an
orange
> Slice. They bring a large orange juice. We were outa there!

****You were unhappy with the place the second you walked in, so why
did you bother wasting your time and taking up space? You decided you
were being treated unfairly by the no check rule and had to have the
iced coffee coz the place was so hot....and do they even have orange
slice on the menu? Thats a real popular "must have" drink that I am
sure ALL restaurants keep a large supply of......Geeze

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

David Meyers

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
Bob Ward <rcw...@gte.net> writes:

> On 17 Nov 1999 10:10:39 -0500, David Meyers <dme...@panix.com> wrote:

> >Much better to use a credit card, if you pay it off in full
> >every month.

> Since you have no idea of my personal financial situation, how can you
> so definitively say what is better for me to do? You are, hopefully,
> able to determine what is best for you, in your circumstances, but
> that does not necessarily mean tht your solution is best for me, in my
> situation.

It was a generalization. Try decaf, Bob.

Now, while we're at it, I'm awfully curious - can anyone
out there think of a single scenario wherein it makes more
sense to use a debit card instead of a credit card GIVEN
the fact that the credit card is to be paid off in full at
the end of the month?

--d

DaveG

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

> That's just the stupid policies of some stores, then. We print everything
on
> the checks for them, incuding drivers license number and home phone. They
> just insist that some minimum wage clerk ( unsually happens in convenience
> stores, which I may shop at once or twice a week for years, but never see
the
> same clerk twice ) copy all the stuff onto the check, when it's already
> there.

When I worked retail, the police would not even look at a check if the
person who took it did not write the appropriate info on the check. You
could print whatever info you want on your checks, the ID is to prove that
the info is correct (still could be false, i know). Oh, I get it, we should
all just trust eachother, right? Have you ever worked retail? If you have,
then you have seen how many checks come back stamped with NSF or ACCOUNT
CLOSED, or the freakin thing was a complete fabrication. Wake up- businesses
need to protect themselves- stop taking it so personaly- they REALLY dont
know if you are a criminal or not- they are not all knowing like you think
they should be (knowing your credibility, or knowing how to make items not
shown on the menu). Or, you could just boycott them for looking at your ID,
that will scare em!

--
DaveG

"I am a self-made man. Who else would help?"
Oscar Levant

Charles Hobbs

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

Lee Sebel wrote:

> Other IHOPs have been the total opposite. My rule of thumb, which has
> proven to work more times than not:
>
> The bigger the city, the less likely I am to frequent chain restaurants.
> For one thing, I enjoy discovering local hangs, plus it has been my
> experience that the chain restaurants in smaller areas have access to
> better personnel due to less competition.

I went to an IHOP in San Francisco last Sept. $11 for breakfast, including
tip. (This IHOP was on the "motel strip" on Lombard, so they probably
charge much more than IHOP's elsewhere).

Jim Dompier

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
In article <jjDY3.255$J3....@wormhole.dimensional.com>,
Meli...@Fdimensional.com says...

> tfos...@kahala.net (Jim Dompier) wrote in
> <MPG.129bd364c...@news.lava.net>:
>
> >In article <T2%X3.604$P4.9...@den-news1.rmi.net>, da...@rmi.net says...
> >> In co.general Melissa <Meli...@ydimensional.com> wrote:
> >> ->We'd actually rather avoid credit cards, as they're traps. We get
> >> bombarded ->by "buy now, pay later" ads, that make "later" sound like
> >> never. We're ->constantly encouraged to spend beyond our means until
> >> some of us get in ->trouble with it, then of course the card companies
> >> still want to be paid or ->else. No thanks. We have 3 cards and the goal
> >> is to keep them paid off each ->month. To do that, it would be necessary
> >> not to use them for the everyday ->spending of life. Too much of a trap.
> >>
> >> Get a debit card. Some of the hype in the commercials is actually true.
> >> Works like a check, accepted by places that don't take checks, and
> >> doesn't require ID. You don't get the float you get with a credit card,
> >> but you don't have to worry about digging yourself into the massive
> >> debt hole.
> >
> >AND, you won't hold people up who are in line behind you, while you write
> >the check. (GRRRRRR)
>
> Another lame argument, being I always write most of the check out while
> standing in line and only have to add the total to it. Try learning a little
> patience too. Getting all stressed out like that, over having to wait a
> little, is not good for YOU in the long run.

Well, if that is true, you are one of the very few who do...

Now, Get the Heck outta my way will ya, I got things to do... :^)

he he....

impatient my ass...

--

__**__
**
Jim Dompier
http://www.islandshades.com

** My email address has been foiled to avoid spam. **

** Is there another word for synonym? **

ant...@pobox.com

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
In co.general Jim Dompier <tfos...@kahala.net> wrote:
: In article <T2%X3.604$P4.9...@den-news1.rmi.net>, da...@rmi.net says...
[...]
:> Get a debit card. Some of the hype in the commercials is actually true.

:> Works like a check, accepted by places that don't take checks, and
:> doesn't require ID. You don't get the float you get with a credit card,
:> but you don't have to worry about digging yourself into the massive
:> debt hole.

: AND, you won't hold people up who are in line behind you, while you write
: the check. (GRRRRRR)

I fill out everything but the amount before I get in line. Completing the
check then takes about the same amount of time as getting the card
approved.

Granted, many people seem to wait until the total is displayed before
rooting around for the checkbook. Annoying.

:>
:> Or you could preserve your anonymity (since you want to use a check
:> I'm assuming that's not your goal) and pay cash.

That's my personal favorite. However, I'd feel really insecure about
shipping several hundred dollars in cash to the mortgage company every
month. Fortunately, they still take checks.

Antryg

--
ant...@pobox.com
http://www.pobox.com/~antryg
"Words of wisdom are best taught by living them." -Me

ant...@pobox.com

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
In co.general Melissa <Meli...@fdimensional.com> wrote:
: ant...@pobox.com wrote in <gTrY3.773$P4.1...@den-news1.rmi.net>:

:>In co.general Bob Ward <rcw...@gte.net> wrote:
:>: On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:09:36 GMT, ant...@pobox.com wrote:
:>
:>:>In co.general Chris McConnell <spa...@frii.com> wrote:
:>:>: melissa I feel it my duty to infom you that checks are a dead
:>:>: technology. Credit card are and have been the wave of the future for a
:>:>: very long time. Hurry get with the program in 5 years no one will take
:>:>: checks. I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you.
:>:>
:>:>Hmmph! As far as I'm concerned, they can take my check or they can take my
:>:>cash. If they won't take either, they clearly do not want my business.
:>:>
:>:>The credit card is one of the worst inventions ever devised, IMHO.
:>:>
:>:>Antryg
:>
:>
:>: Would you still feel the same way if your credit history allowed you
:>: to qualify for a credit card?
:>
:>It does.

: I think he was just slamming you for disagreeing with him, Ray.
: Very nice, eh?

Yeah, I caught that. Decided the simple answer said the most.

Melissa

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
su...@bellsouth.netx (Sue) wrote in <ehEY3.6012$lf7....@news2.atl>:

>Melissa wrote in message <9XDY3.262$J3....@wormhole.dimensional.com>...
>>Most check writers don't even like doing that, because they have to
>reconcile
>>even the $2 check at the end of the month in balancing their check books.
>So
>>I'd assume that the only reason anyone would write one for $2 is because
>they
>>were out of cash at the time. Duh. :-)
>
>If she was that low, she should have written the check for a higher amount
>to get cash back. THAT I would have understood, but she didn't.

She may have been living from paycheck to paycheck. We never know unless we
know someone.

>>soon has nothing to do with the original topic and someone inevitably
>>winds up calling someone else a nazi, ending it.
>
>Hasn't happened yet. Want to start a pool on when it will happen? :-)

:-) Maybe no one is riled up enough yet.

Melissa

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99

>You crossposted to four groups with a subject header in all-caps,
>Melissa, and called me "off the deep end" and "blind" for suggesting that
>maybe it wasn't that big a deal. If you weren't all that upset, that's not
>an effective way of conveying that fact :-).
>
>> Usenet is anarchy and people can post wherever they feel appropriate.
>
>Until the despammers or their ISPs get them, I suppose. But they're going
>to get different reader judgments depending on their judgments of
>appropriate.

Cross posting to a few groups that someone thinks is appropriate, is not
going to annoy an ISP and falls more into debatable netiquette than spamming.
Cross posting to 30 groups would be different.

Chris McConnell

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Jeffco is horribly over run with evil californians and east coast
conservatives who are over populating our state thus forcing us to loose
our once innocent life style and open minded ways. they bring their
dysfunctional kids and still wonder why the little brats are well out of
control! they have caused our! beloved state to adopt the evil ways of
the coasts. these people bring distrust and violence with them in the
form of there kids! so the local businesses have to protect them selves
for these new comers. if you want to fight this problem the source lies
in over population! support any government initiative to help curb the
californication of colorado! Write your senators (both state and fed)
tell them you don't want any more malls and sub divisions! once we halt
the invasion then we can start re-civilizingour home.

Chris McConnell

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
poli sci actually with a vast knowledge of the world due entirely to
occupation

Binyamin Dissen

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99

:>>Bob Ward <rcw...@gte.net> writes:

:>>> My BANK (Bank of America) does not hold me liable for ANY amount if my
:>>> debit card is reported stolen.

:>>But until the investigation is comlpeted, you are out the
:>>cash for any fraudulent charges. That can cause bounced
:>>checks and loss of interest at a minimum.

:>>Much better to use a credit card, if you pay it off in full
:>>every month.

:>Since you have no idea of my personal financial situation, how can you
:>so definitively say what is better for me to do? You are, hopefully,
:>able to determine what is best for you, in your circumstances, but
:>that does not necessarily mean tht your solution is best for me, in my
:>situation.

I am curious.

In what situation would a debit card be better than a credit card.

As I understand it the purchase will cost the same. And both are accepted.

With a debit card the person loses use of the money immediately, while with a
credit card the person loses use of the money about one moth later.

What advantages do the debit card hold so that anyone, in any financial
situation, would benefit more from using it rather than a credit card?

--
Binyamin Dissen <bdi...@netvision.net.il>
Binyamin Dissen <bdi...@dissensoftware.com>

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99

Binyamin Dissen <post...@dissensoftware.com> wrote in message news:hnm73skq14fo1qmas...@4ax.com...

> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:03:10 GMT Bob Ward <rcw...@gte.net> wrote:
>
> What advantages do the debit card hold so that anyone, in any financial
> situation, would benefit more from using it rather than a credit card?

Simple: if you've had a problem with excessive debt in the past, you'll
never get into trouble again with a debit card. You never have to
sweat carrying a balance, yet it's accepted everywhere a credit card
is accepted.

I used one for years while waiting for a past bankruptcy to clear, and
I've continued to follow the rules I developed during that time today,
even though I now have exceptional credit. I owe no one. I pay off
my entire balance EVERY month.... and I remain very uncomfortable
with debt.

Most of my friends seem to live with their credit cards charged up
close to their limits. I've been there, done that, and have the scars
to prove it . No more.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
MSch...@nospam.carolina.rr.com

Sue

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99

Melissa wrote in message ...
>su...@bellsouth.netx (Sue) wrote in <ehEY3.6012$lf7....@news2.atl>:
>

>>Melissa wrote in message <9XDY3.262$J3....@wormhole.dimensional.com>...
>>>Most check writers don't even like doing that, because they have to
>>reconcile
>>>even the $2 check at the end of the month in balancing their check books.
>>So
>>>I'd assume that the only reason anyone would write one for $2 is because
>>they
>>>were out of cash at the time. Duh. :-)
>>
>>If she was that low, she should have written the check for a higher amount
>>to get cash back. THAT I would have understood, but she didn't.
>
>She may have been living from paycheck to paycheck. We never know unless we
>know someone.

Trust me, she wasn't. The fur coat was a major clue. There were others.
This was in a very affluent area. Face it, she didn't have an excuse,
though
you keep trying to give her one.

Sue

David Meyers

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
post...@dissensoftware.com (Binyamin Dissen) writes:

> I am curious.
>
> In what situation would a debit card be better than a credit card.
>
> As I understand it the purchase will cost the same. And both are accepted.
>
> With a debit card the person loses use of the money immediately, while with a
> credit card the person loses use of the money about one moth later.

Moreover, many credit cards offer other perks as well, either
cash back or FF miles or credit towards purchases. Whatever.
On top of the protection that if fraudulent charges are made,
you don't pay them, rather than losing the money and having
to ask for it back when they finish the investigation.

> What advantages do the debit card hold so that anyone, in any financial
> situation, would benefit more from using it rather than a credit card?

The one situation would be if you are already carrying a balance
on the credit card because you don't pay it off in full. Which
is why, when I asked the same question as you, I asked with the
caveat that the CC user pays his bill in full every month. As
yet, I've been offered no suggestions of a scenario in which
the debit card has an advantage.

--d

Lily

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
You might not want to come to Boston, no resturaunts here accept
checks. You also might not want to go to a bar and start a tab, because
they only let you open one if you give the a credit card. There is no
reason that you should get offended, because the truth is there are
criminals out there and there are scummy people who will walk out on a
tab. As a waitress in a bar when I am cocktail waitress I sure as hell
am going to ask to hold on to a credit card if you are going to ask to
start a tab. It happens all to many yimes that people walk out on tabs.
I had a table once that had dinner on to drink for a couple of hours, i
did not ask for a credit card because i trusted them. Next thing you
know they walk out the door and I am stuck paying for a tab that is
$90. Most waitresses that I work with no longer accept tabs because
people are constantly walking out. If you have a credit card you can at
least ring up the bill and you not stuck paying for. And also your
eating at the ihop, that's like going to a 7 11 and complaining that
the hotdogs are gross, clearly it is not a fine food returaunt and it's
not very expensive so just deal with it.

suzn

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
In article <MPG.129d2581...@news.lava.net>,
Jim Dompier <tfos...@kahala.net> wrote:

> Well, if that is true, you are one of the very few who do...
>
> Now, Get the Heck outta my way will ya, I got things to do... :^)
>
> he he....
>
> impatient my ass...

Sorry Jim but there are more than a few of us who do fill out our
checks ahead of time.....what else are we gonna do while waiting in line
while the person ahead of us fumbles around in his pockets or digs in
the bottom of her purse for those 3 pennies that he/she knows are in
there.....:)

Dave A. Homeowner

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Melissa wrote:

> We decided to try brunch at International House Of Pancakes today and went to
> the one at 6th and Union in Lakewood.
> <snip>

> So we ordered and then found out that they no longer know how to make iced
> coffee, if they ever did in the first place. Duh-oh Homer! It's coffee over
> ice!

Well, not really. If you pour hot coffee over ice you get watered down
luke warm coffee. If you add more ice, you get even-more-watered down,
but possibly cold, coffee.

Few places actually make Iced Coffee the way it should be made: Brew
coffee at regular (or slightly stronger) strength, chill in the fridge
until cold, and *then* pour over ice. That is the only way to insure
cold coffee that still tastes (and acts!) like coffee.

I recall a donut shop in NYC (Queens, mid-80's) that always had a half
dozen quarts (the old, glass Tropicana bottles) full of coffee in their
cooler. When a customer ordered iced coffee, that's the coffee they
used. They rotated their stock, always adding a fresh bottle as one was
used up and dumping any left at the end of the day. Someone in that
place knew the pleasure of *good* iced coffee. During the summer I often
make an extra pot in the morning and chill it so it will be cold for the
afternoon.

In an emergency <g> iced coffee can also be made in a drip style
machine. Use the normal amount of grounds, but only half the water. Fill
the carafe with a tray to a tray-and-a-half of ice cubes. The coffee
will get brewed very strong, but the melted ice will water it down, and
if used in the right proportions, the coffee will be cold with some ice
leftover. This works best with a robust coffee, like an expresso bean or
any dark roast. It won't be as good as chilled coffee over ice, but it's
much, much better than *hot* coffee over ice.

Melissa

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
tacti...@yahoo.com (Chris McConnell) wrote in
<3834C2EC...@frii.com>:

Hear hear! Now that I'm here here, why don't we legislate a ZPG ( zero
population growth ) policy for Colorado. No more building permits anywhere
and someone has to leave before anyone else can move here. Just think of how
it would drive up our real estate values too! So when the time comes where we
want to move to a free country, like maybe South Dakota, we could get maybe
triple what our house is worth now! Write your legislator!

Diane Diesh

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
David Meyers wrote:

> > What advantages do the debit card hold so that anyone, in any financial
> > situation, would benefit more from using it rather than a credit card?
>
> The one situation would be if you are already carrying a balance
> on the credit card because you don't pay it off in full. Which
> is why, when I asked the same question as you, I asked with the
> caveat that the CC user pays his bill in full every month. As
> yet, I've been offered no suggestions of a scenario in which
> the debit card has an advantage.
>
> --d

If the credit card does not have a grace period, you get dinged with
interest from the date of the transaction. I don't know why anyone
would ever carry a credit card without a grace period, but AFAIK they
do still exist.
--
Diane

Melissa

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
su...@bellsouth.netx (Sue) wrote in <VOTY3.8083$ue2....@news4.atl>:

>>>If she was that low, she should have written the check for a higher amount
>>>to get cash back. THAT I would have understood, but she didn't.
>>
>>She may have been living from paycheck to paycheck. We never know unless we
>>know someone.
>

>Trust me, she wasn't. The fur coat was a major clue.

And you didn't even spray red paint on it? :-)

>There were others.
>This was in a very affluent area. Face it, she didn't have an excuse,
>though
>you keep trying to give her one.

Ok, well just slap her up then, and we can move on. :-)

Tweek

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Mortimer Schnerd, RN <MSch...@nospam.carolina.rr.com> wrote:

>Simple: if you've had a problem with excessive debt in the past, you'll
>never get into trouble again with a debit card. You never have to=20

>sweat carrying a balance, yet it's accepted everywhere a credit card
>is accepted.

Many car rental places will NOT accept a debit card for purposes of
renting a vehicle.

| Had your share of stoopid(tm) people? | |
| View the "Contra Costa Whines" at | [This space for lease] |
| http://www.io.com/~tweek/cocowhine/ | |

Melissa

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
marpo9N...@excite.com.invalid (Lily) wrote in <28b1320f.20f8dc97@usw-
ex0106-044.remarq.com>:

>You might not want to come to Boston, no resturaunts here accept
>checks.

I'd also heard the ban guns there too, very socialist authoritarian. No trust
at all for your fellow people. Yes, I might not want to come there, though it
might be interesting to visit one day, just to reminisce about where our
country's liberty originated.

>You also might not want to go to a bar and start a tab,

Not to worry, I rarely even drink and then have a strict personal policy of
only one.

>There is no
>reason that you should get offended, because the truth is there are
>criminals out there and there are scummy people who will walk out on a
>tab.

Oh, so blame me for it. :-)

And next time someone steals a car in your neighborhood, we can send the cops
to arrest you. :-)

> As a waitress in a bar when I am cocktail waitress I sure as hell
>am going to ask to hold on to a credit card if you are going to ask to
>start a tab. It happens all to many yimes that people walk out on tabs.

I guess bar dwellers may not exactly be representative of the mainstream.

In our martial arts school about a year ago, one of the lower ranked students
came in one day with his face all bruised up. Where did he get beat up?
Behind a bar. Why was he hanging out there? Because he drinks and it was fun
and exciting. Good luck. I've never hung out in bars and have never been in a
fight. It must go with the territory.

>I had a table once that had dinner on to drink for a couple of hours, i
>did not ask for a credit card because i trusted them. Next thing you
>know they walk out the door and I am stuck paying for a tab that is
>$90.

Jeez. Sounds like bars should only accept cash. I mean even a credit card
could be stolen. The guy who owned it could be out cold in the back alley.

>Most waitresses that I work with no longer accept tabs because
>people are constantly walking out.

Can't say I blame y'all on that one, then.

But as a libertarian and someone who doesn't like being blamed for what
criminals do, I'd rather see the criminals prosecuted and the rest of us
trusted. For example what if a bar had a gateway exit with an attendant and
people had to get the ok from their waitress before the gate would be opened
to let them leave? Anyone who didn't pay could easily be held for the cops.

>If you have a credit card you can at
>least ring up the bill and you not stuck paying for. And also your
>eating at the ihop, that's like going to a 7 11 and complaining that
>the hotdogs are gross, clearly it is not a fine food returaunt and it's
>not very expensive so just deal with it.

It's not a fine food restaurant so I don't deserve to be treated decently?
Well, we'll just have to eat only at the Ritz from now on. :-)

Melissa

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
per...@eznet.net (Dave A. Homeowner) wrote in <383437...@eznet.net>:

>Melissa wrote:
>>
>> We decided to try brunch at International House Of Pancakes today and
>> went to the one at 6th and Union in Lakewood.
>> <snip>
>> So we ordered and then found out that they no longer know how to make
>> iced coffee, if they ever did in the first place. Duh-oh Homer! It's
>> coffee over ice!
>
>Well, not really. If you pour hot coffee over ice you get watered down
>luke warm coffee. If you add more ice, you get even-more-watered down,
>but possibly cold, coffee.
>
>Few places actually make Iced Coffee the way it should be made: Brew
>coffee at regular (or slightly stronger) strength, chill in the fridge
>until cold, and *then* pour over ice. That is the only way to insure
>cold coffee that still tastes (and acts!) like coffee.

Oh yeah, if you wanna get picky, but it's the same with iced tea and they
don't seem to be brain dead when it comes to that.

>I recall a donut shop in NYC (Queens, mid-80's) that always had a half
>dozen quarts (the old, glass Tropicana bottles) full of coffee in their
>cooler. When a customer ordered iced coffee, that's the coffee they
>used. They rotated their stock, always adding a fresh bottle as one was
>used up and dumping any left at the end of the day. Someone in that
>place knew the pleasure of *good* iced coffee. During the summer I often
>make an extra pot in the morning and chill it so it will be cold for the
>afternoon.

See, you just redeemed some of my opinion of New Yuckers.

David Meyers

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Meli...@Fdimensional.com (Melissa) writes:

> marpo9N...@excite.com.invalid (Lily) wrote in <28b1320f.20f8dc97@usw-
> ex0106-044.remarq.com>:
>
> >You might not want to come to Boston, no resturaunts here accept
> >checks.
>
> I'd also heard the ban guns there too, very socialist authoritarian.

Unfortunately, it's idiotic comments like that which make
libertarians who otherwise might make sense look stupid.
The _government_ here bans guns. Private restaurants have
every right to choose which methods of payment the accept.
And libertarians have every right to avoid restaurants which
don't accept payment forms they prefer. I personally don't
care whether a restaurant accepts checks or not, and that
won't affect my choice at all. Vote with your feet and
dollars - that's the beauty of the free market versus
government decree.

> No trust
> at all for your fellow people. Yes, I might not want to come there, though it
> might be interesting to visit one day, just to reminisce about where our
> country's liberty originated.

It's rather sad how fast MA is to throw off its liberty-oriented
heritage. (ie. guns, taxes, etc).

> >There is no
> >reason that you should get offended, because the truth is there are
> >criminals out there and there are scummy people who will walk out on a
> >tab.
>
> Oh, so blame me for it. :-)

> And next time someone steals a car in your neighborhood, we can send the cops
> to arrest you. :-)

Again with the idiocy. Nobody's blaming you. Just choosing
not to trust you. And in a place where many are not trustworthy
that's a rational policy.

> It's not a fine food restaurant so I don't deserve to be treated decently?
> Well, we'll just have to eat only at the Ritz from now on. :-)

You get what you pay for. You want fine dining service,
it costs money. You want cheap, expect cheap service.
Again, rational pricing in a market.

--d

Sue

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99

Melissa wrote in message ...

>>There is no

>>reason that you should get offended, because the truth is there are
>>criminals out there and there are scummy people who will walk out on a
>>tab.
>
>Oh, so blame me for it. :-)
>
>And next time someone steals a car in your neighborhood, we can send the
cops
>to arrest you. :-)

You're really starting to sound like a troll. You equate an establishment
not taking checks, with getting arrested for a crime you didn't commit?

IF them not taking checks is because there have been bad checks
written, that's not "blaming" you. It's a reaction to the fact that
there were enough bad checks written that it became too costly
to deal with, too much of a hassle to deal with, or both. Yes, you're
affected because of what other people did. Get over it, that's
a fact of life. Honest people have to go through security checkpoints
at airports, because of a few who would try to get through with bombs.
Do you complain at airport that you are being "blamed"?

>>eating at the ihop, that's like going to a 7 11 and complaining that
>>the hotdogs are gross, clearly it is not a fine food returaunt and it's
>>not very expensive so just deal with it.
>

>It's not a fine food restaurant so I don't deserve to be treated decently?
>Well, we'll just have to eat only at the Ritz from now on. :-)

Your complaints were that they don't take checks, they didn't make
Iced Coffee the way you expected it, and they made a mistake with
an order. If that's your definition of not being treated decently, no
wonder you're so bent out of shape over it.

kirs...@my-deja.com

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
In article <FLEKC...@moraga.ness.com>,

tw...@netcom.com (Tweek) wrote:
> Mortimer Schnerd, RN <MSch...@nospam.carolina.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> >Simple: if you've had a problem with excessive debt in the past,
you'll
> >never get into trouble again with a debit card. You never have to=20
> >sweat carrying a balance, yet it's accepted everywhere a credit card
> >is accepted.
>
> Many car rental places will NOT accept a debit card for purposes of
> renting a vehicle.

Lots of places have stopped taking debit cards for some reason, and will
only accept credit cards - i tried to check into a red lion hotel awhile
back and they wouldnt take it (but the hotel across the street did :-) -
and if you drive a car from the us into mexico, you need a special
permit to go more than 500km from the border - which you can get by
either giving them a credit card number or a cash deposit equal to the
value of the car - they wont take a debit card (fortunately i have a
really cheap car :-)

my new debit card from wells fargo works, though, since it doesnt say
"debit card" anywhere on it, so nobody knows that it is one - to the
merchant, it looks and works just like a credit card...

--
Kirstin Nicklaus (kirs...@my-deja.com)
In the coming election, don't throw your vote away by voting for a

kirs...@my-deja.com

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
In article <38344709...@spam.be.gone.advtech.uswest.com>,

theres that, and that some people cant get credit cards

but assuming you can get a credit card, that has a grace period, the
only reason i can think of for using a debit card is if you're living
paycheck to paycheck, and tend to let your credit card payments slide,
thinking you can pay them off with the next paycheck instead, and pretty
soon the interest mounts up and you cant pay it off - if your like this
(like me :-) a debit card makes more sense - you never find yourself
spending money you dont really have, so you never get into trouble -
even if i had a credit card, i'd never use it except for emergencies...

Dan D.

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
In co.general ant...@pobox.com wrote:
->:> Or you could preserve your anonymity (since you want to use a check
->:> I'm assuming that's not your goal) and pay cash.

->That's my personal favorite. However, I'd feel really insecure about
->shipping several hundred dollars in cash to the mortgage company every
->month. Fortunately, they still take checks.

If you're anonymous to your mortgage company, congratulations.

Mine knows more about me than I do.

-DanD

--
# Dan D (kd4igw) da...@rmi.net da...@frottage.com http://rmi.net/~dand
# Money, not morality, is the principle commerce of civilized nations.

suzn

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
In article <a%WY3.301$J3....@wormhole.dimensional.com>,
Meli...@Fdimensional.com (Melissa) wrote:

> I guess bar dwellers may not exactly be representative of the
mainstream.

> In our martial arts school about a year ago, one of the lower ranked
students
> came in one day with his face all bruised up. Where did he get beat
up?
> Behind a bar. Why was he hanging out there? Because he drinks and it
was fun
> and exciting. Good luck. I've never hung out in bars and have never
been in a
> fight. It must go with the territory.

*****Where did you say you were from? You think only people who go into
a bar get beat up or possibly deserve to be beat up because they are in
a bar? Violence is everywhere in case you arent aware of that....a woman
was stabbed to death in a church parking lot not too far from my
house....a crazy man open fires IN a church in Ftworth wounding and
killing many people, kids are shot and killed in a high school... and it
goes on and on... So you say violence goes with the teritory.....Oh I
*love* how some people think.

> But as a libertarian and someone who doesn't like being blamed for
what
> criminals do, I'd rather see the criminals prosecuted and the rest of
us
> trusted. For example what if a bar had a gateway exit with an
attendant and
> people had to get the ok from their waitress before the gate would be
opened
> to let them leave? Anyone who didn't pay could easily be held for the
cops.

****Uhhhh they have something similar to that at K-Mart on your way out
the door...its not a gate but a loud buzzer in case you didnt pay before
leaving.....

> It's not a fine food restaurant so I don't deserve to be treated
decently?
> Well, we'll just have to eat only at the Ritz from now on. :-)

*****Oh you'd still find something to bitch about even at the Ritz....

Melissa

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
su...@tx.freei.net (suzn) wrote in <811u4l$fm5$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>:

>In article <a%WY3.301$J3....@wormhole.dimensional.com>,
> Meli...@Fdimensional.com (Melissa) wrote:
>

>> I guess bar dwellers may not exactly be representative of the
>mainstream.
>>
>> In our martial arts school about a year ago, one of the lower ranked
>students
>> came in one day with his face all bruised up. Where did he get beat
>up?
>> Behind a bar. Why was he hanging out there? Because he drinks and it
>was fun
>> and exciting. Good luck. I've never hung out in bars and have never
>been in a
>> fight. It must go with the territory.
>
>*****Where did you say you were from?

Colorado.

> You think only people who go into
>a bar get beat up

Not what I said.

>or possibly deserve to be beat up because they are in
>a bar?

Didn't say that either, maybe you can't read well.

> Violence is everywhere in case you arent aware of that....

The sky isn't falling, Chicken Little, there's no violence here right now.

>a woman
> was stabbed to death in a church parking lot not too far from my
>house....

That's terrible, did they catch the guy?

>a crazy man open fires IN a church in Ftworth wounding and
>killing many people, kids are shot and killed in a high school... and it
>goes on and on... So you say violence goes with the teritory.....Oh I
>*love* how some people think.

Get the beam out of your own eye first. I love how some people think we have
a violent society when it's only being done by a very tiny minority.

>> It's not a fine food restaurant so I don't deserve to be treated
>decently?
>> Well, we'll just have to eat only at the Ritz from now on. :-)
>
>*****Oh you'd still find something to bitch about even at the Ritz....

Like you, I suppose?

73115...@compuserve.com

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
post...@dissensoftware.com (Binyamin Dissen) wrote:

>As I understand it the purchase will cost the same. And both are accepted.
>
>With a debit card the person loses use of the money immediately, while with a

>credit card the person loses use of the money about one month later.

>What advantages do the debit card hold so that anyone, in any financial
>situation, would benefit more from using it rather than a credit card?

Precisely. The only advantage to debit cards is to the bank and the retailer.
Everything else is just hype.

Some people claim that the debit card is better because they can't go over their
credit limit. Well, duh.

Chris

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99

Elric of Imrryr wrote:

> What we need is a return to the days of 10% unemployment to put the fear
> baack into the working class. This 4% unemployment sucks. Alan Greenspan,
> we need you to raise rates again.

He heard your pain, are you loving that Fed Funds boost yet?

Shoot, we can make good ubber-lenders of the mortgage cos. yet - vatch vat ve can
do-un-ze...

Jim Dompier

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
In article <9XDY3.262$J3....@wormhole.dimensional.com>,
Meli...@Fdimensional.com says...
> No actually I'm amused. :-) It always fascinates me how a simple post can get
> 10-20 people into an extended thread, going off on so many tangents that it
> soon has nothing to do with the original topic and someone inevitably winds
> up calling someone else a nazi, ending it.

See how many people hate check writers?

:^)

--

__**__
**
Jim Dompier
http://www.islandshades.com

** My email address has been foiled to avoid spam. **

** Is there another word for synonym? **

Doug Andersen

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99

Binyamin Dissen <post...@dissensoftware.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:03:10 GMT Bob Ward <rcw...@gte.net> wrote:
>
> :>On 17 Nov 1999 10:10:39 -0500, David Meyers <dme...@panix.com> wrote:
>
> :>>Bob Ward <rcw...@gte.net> writes:
>
> :>>> My BANK (Bank of America) does not hold me liable for ANY amount if
my
> :>>> debit card is reported stolen.
>
> :>>But until the investigation is comlpeted, you are out the
> :>>cash for any fraudulent charges. That can cause bounced
> :>>checks and loss of interest at a minimum.
>
> :>>Much better to use a credit card, if you pay it off in full
> :>>every month.
>

> :>Since you have no idea of my personal financial situation, how can you
> :>so definitively say what is better for me to do? You are, hopefully,
> :>able to determine what is best for you, in your circumstances, but
> :>that does not necessarily mean tht your solution is best for me, in my
> :>situation.
>
> I am curious.
>
> In what situation would a debit card be better than a credit card.
>
> As I understand it the purchase will cost the same. And both are accepted.
>
> With a debit card the person loses use of the money immediately, while
with a
> credit card the person loses use of the money about one moth later.

> What advantages do the debit card hold so that anyone, in any financial
> situation, would benefit more from using it rather than a credit card?

The primary advantage I can think of (aside from the fact that
some people prefer to have the discipline of having the money
taken out of their checking account immediately) is the ability
to get cash back. You can do that with a credit card, but you're
going to be charged high cash advance rates. I use ATMs a lot
less than I used to simply because I get cash when making debit
purchases.

suzn

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
In article <xh%Y3.316$J3....@wormhole.dimensional.com>,
Meli...@Fdimensional.com (Melissa) wrote:

> Get the beam out of your own eye first. I love how some people think
we have
> a violent society when it's only being done by a very tiny minority.

****Uhhh...yea...ok...whatever you say

sh...@ecn.ab.ca

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
m> <MPG.129d2581...@news.lava.net> <811h98$59h$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>
It's ****1999******* for G...'s sake!!! Get rid of the checks, you
Luddites. I maybe write 3 of them a year. Almost everything else can be
paid by credit card, debit card, or if all else fails, cash.
All our utility bills are paid direct from bank a/c. NO service charges
for anything except safety-deposit box.

suzn (su...@tx.freei.net) wrote:
: In article <MPG.129d2581...@news.lava.net>,
: Jim Dompier <tfos...@kahala.net> wrote:

: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Before you buy.

sh...@ecn.ab.ca

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
Diane Diesh (di...@spam.be.gone.advtech.uswest.com) wrote:
: David Meyers wrote:
: >
[...]

: --
: Diane

Never heard of such a thing, except for cash advances.

LibertarianKrav

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99

oy vey! i am far from a luddite, but I am paranoid. I'll be daamned if im
going to give some as prone to errorr as utlity bill companies electronic
access to my checking account, they'll take my cheque or they wont get paid,
simple as that. BTW, By law, such companies MUST take cheques

Elric of Imrryr

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99

Meli...@Ydimensional.com says...

> We decided to try brunch at International House Of Pancakes today and went to

> the one at 6th and Union in Lakewood. ( we live in Colorado, for those in the
> other groups )
>
> The first thing that caught our eye was they no longer take checks. Whoopee.
> Automatically treat everyone like a criminal because you don't want to pay
> for a check service. We usually walk right out of places that do that, but
> were in the door already, were hungry, and figured we'd stay just once, then
> tell them why we wouldn't be coming back.

> So we ordered and then found out that they no longer know how to make iced
> coffee, if they ever did in the first place. Duh-oh Homer! It's coffee over

> ice! ( it was hot in there so I ordered that ) Does not compute. They brought
> a cup of hot coffee and another of ice, plopped it on the table in front of
> me, and said; make it yourself. Then my other half had ordered an orange
> Slice. They bring a large orange juice. We were outa there!
> Told them we may check back in a YEAR or so, to see if they change any,
> though we doubt they will. ( when a restaurant annoys us like that, we
> give them AT LEAST a year ) Big corporation, the economy's good, they don't
> give a hoot, they don't have to.
>
> We went instead, to White Fence Farms and had their chicken dinner, which was
> great. And they take checks.
>
> The place is a big tourist attraction apparently, and we tried them about a
> month ago and liked them. Huge place. Known for their specialty fried chicken
> dinners.
>
> A very pleasant place in a garden setting, good food ( beware their little
> corn fritters, they're sinfully good and irresistible! ) and we could feed
> the ducks at their pond afterwards. Nice relaxing idyllic afternoon, after
> we got rid of IHOP.

David Range

Nov 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/19/99
On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:49:58 GMT, Meli...@Fdimensional.com (Melissa)
wrote:

(Snip)

>>Most waitresses that I work with no longer accept tabs because
>>people are constantly walking out.
>
>Can't say I blame y'all on that one, then.
>

>But as a libertarian and someone who doesn't like being blamed for what
>criminals do, I'd rather see the criminals prosecuted and the rest of us
>trusted. For example what if a bar had a gateway exit with an attendant and
>people had to get the ok from their waitress before the gate would be opened
>to let them leave? Anyone who didn't pay could easily be held for the cops.

Two problems with that idea. One, it would never get past the fire
code. Think of the panic that would occur should a fire break out.
Second, it would go against everything you've been complaining about.
You don't want to be treated like a criminal, but are content to wait
behind a gate to get the all clear from your server to be allowed out
of the establishment? Wierd. What if the server is busy with another
customer? Then you'd bitch and moan about false entrapment and how you
were treated like a criminal.

>>If you have a credit card you can at
>>least ring up the bill and you not stuck paying for. And also your

>>eating at the ihop, that's like going to a 7 11 and complaining that
>>the hotdogs are gross, clearly it is not a fine food returaunt and it's
>>not very expensive so just deal with it.
>

>It's not a fine food restaurant so I don't deserve to be treated decently?
>Well, we'll just have to eat only at the Ritz from now on. :-)

Another poster pointed out that iced coffee should be chilled then
poured over the ice. I'm assuming that's correct. If so, and
considering the item wasn't offered on the menu, why didn't you just
explain it to them? Better yet, why not just order an item off the
menu? Sounds to me like they attempted to treat you decently and
accomodate your request.

One last question. Your .sig suggests you sell items on E-bay. Do you
accept personal checks as payment? Do you ship the items out before
waiting for the check to clear?

David

It is loading more messages.