FaceNet

Angeliki Fydanaki

Mar 7, 2016, 5:09:30 AM3/7/16
to CMU-OpenFace
Hi,

I am new at the field and I am starting to work on a project about FaceNet recognition algorithm.
However, I am not familiar at all with CNN and recognition systems so please forgive me if my questions are a bit silly.

Hence, here are few of questions.
1) Is it true that  the LFW just measures performance from comparing images, not
classifying people while using FaceNet?
2) I found some codes at https://github.com/cmusatyalab/openface, is there everything that I need in order to make it work with Python?
3) I will need to test the algorithm with a new dataset in order to make my conclusions. Do I have to retrain the CNN with my dataset (if yes, in which way)?
4) Is there any official online guide to help me understand how do train and use Facenet?
5) I also found http://www.labnol.org/internet/facial-recognition-in-google-photos/28892/ . Is it based on the same algorithm or not? They don't mention it.
6) Do you know if FaceNet can detect and recognize faces that are not frontal and for example only one eye is obvious at the image?

Angeliki Fydanaki

Mar 7, 2016, 5:16:02 AM3/7/16
to CMU-OpenFace
I forgot to mention that I have windows 7 and that I don't I really know if I need Torch for running FaceNet; and if yes can I have it at windows?

Brandon Amos

Mar 7, 2016, 8:56:49 AM3/7/16
to Angeliki Fydanaki, CMU-OpenFace
Hi Angeliki,

> 1) Is it true that the LFW just measures performance from comparing
> images, not classifying people while using FaceNet?

Correct, the LFW just compares whether two faces are of
the same person or not. The performance on this
correlates well with classifying people.

> 2) I found some codes at https://github.com/cmusatyalab/openface, is
> there everything that I need in order to make it work with Python?

Yes, everything is there, see our setup guide at
http://cmusatyalab.github.io/openface/setup/

I recommend using the Docker image if you just want to
try it out first since the dependencies are difficult
setup at first.

> 3) I will need to test the algorithm with a new dataset in order to make
> my conclusions. Do I have to retrain the CNN with my dataset (if yes, in
> which way)?

If you want to classify people, you don't need to retrain the CNN, see:

http://cmusatyalab.github.io/openface/demo-3-classifier/

If you have a lot of data and want to try to re-train the CNN, see:

http://cmusatyalab.github.io/openface/training-new-models/

> 4) Is there any official online guide to help me understand how do train
> and use Facenet?

See their paper:
http://www.cv-foundation.org/openaccess/content_cvpr_2015/papers/Schroff_FaceNet_A_Unified_2015_CVPR_paper.pdf

And also take a look at our comparison demo:

http://cmusatyalab.github.io/openface/demo-2-comparison/

We also have API docs online at:

http://openface-api.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html

> 5) I also found
> http://www.labnol.org/internet/facial-recognition-in-google-photos/28892/
> . Is it based on the same algorithm or not? They don't mention it.

I'm not familiar with this.

> 6) Do you know if FaceNet can detect and recognize faces that are not
> frontal and for example only one eye is obvious at the image?

It won't work well for side-profile faces.
You can get a better idea for what kind of faces it works for
by using our web-based demo:
http://cmusatyalab.github.io/openface/demo-1-web/

> 7) I forgot to mention that I have windows 7 and that I don't I really know if
> I need Torch for running FaceNet; and if yes can I have it at windows?

OpenFace needs Torch, Python, opencv and dlib.
They should all work on Windows, but I only use the code in
Linux and OSX and there will probably be some cross-platform
issues you'll need to fix. I'd be happy to take a PR
fixing them for future users.

-Brandon.
signature.asc