Re: To All RDRC Members - Reference Newletter

Joe Horvath

Nov 5, 2013, 7:48:45 PM11/5/13
to Mauih...@aol.com, rpwh...@live.com, rdrc...@gmail.com, club...@googlegroups.com, rd...@googlegroups.com
Or... we could start an online "Member's Only Forum" designed to learn more about our candidates. Does anyone know if our web site supports this? Would anyone be interested in this type of "public review" of our candidates (and maybe even our officers)? Maybe these type of things should not be discussed? Surely someone can think of a reason why we should not be doing this.

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 7:14 PM, "Mauih...@aol.com" <Mauih...@aol.com> wrote:
I know that there are divisions amongst us that pertain to the perceived direction that club should take.  This is a healthy exchange of ideas and opinions even though it may occasionally become a heated discussion.  We currently have two officer positions, that of President and Vice President, that are contested, where one or more than one candidate running.  All candidates have had the opportunity to express there views in the Newsletter and at the monthly meetings.  Some have taken advantage of this opportunity and some have not.  It appears now that some individuals, those who are not running for office, desire to address the members about there personal views of the candidates and their qualifications in our Newsletter without chance of rebuttal.  I have no issue with those that running in presenting their qualifications or agenda.

I personally do not believe that this is the purpose or intent of a newsletter.  The Newsletter should be for its namesake's purpose - NEWS.  If one desires to express there admiration or disdain for a candidate. it should be done at that persons posting and not in a public forum disseminated by the club. The RDRC Newletter is in public domain and articles or derogatory opinions could come back to haunt the author or the club for years to come.

With this said I would hope that all members would weigh in on this opinion and recommend that the Newletter is in fact a newsletter and not a political pulpit.

Sincerely
John Dunning

Michael Hollowell

Nov 5, 2013, 9:18:28 PM11/5/13
to jkho...@yahoo.com, Mauih...@aol.com, rpwh...@live.com, rdrc...@gmail.com, club...@googlegroups.com, rd...@googlegroups.com
Joe,

The web site does offer this feature, the problem is only 51 of the 140 club membership actually has a login and even fewer actually ever logged in.

The googlegroup email lists should never be used to discuss club business.  These groups are meant for members to share with other members tips, tricks, for-sale items, or interesting RC related links.

As for the newsletter, the candidates had their chance in the October newsletter to state their views.  If anyone (candidate and/or member) would like to comment about anything said should bring it to the November meeting to discuss.  This is why I mentioned there will be an open panel discussion with all of the candidates prior to the vote.

There is no reason to continue discussing this any further.

Bring any concerns/comments/etc. to the November 20th meeting at the Pullen house.

Thank you,

Michael

rcl...@aol.com

Nov 6, 2013, 12:26:06 PM11/6/13
to club...@googlegroups.com, jkho...@yahoo.com, Mauih...@aol.com, rpwh...@live.com, rdrc...@gmail.com, rd...@googlegroups.com
And there it is folks.  THEE official Gag Order!

"There is no reason to continue discussing this any further."

rcl...@aol.com

Nov 6, 2013, 2:43:11 PM11/6/13
to club...@googlegroups.com, Mauih...@aol.com, rpwh...@live.com, rdrc...@gmail.com, rd...@googlegroups.com
Great Idea Joe!
Nov 7, 2013, 11:24:54 AM11/7/13
to rdrc...@gmail.com, rd...@googlegroups.com, club...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks to everyone for all their feedback. I feel that we are moving forward and getting things done on this message thread. I encourage additional feedback from the folks who have already contributed and I encourage all others to get involved as well. It's really important that everyone has a voice and gets to express their opinion. It's likewise important that we find a vehicle that allows all the club members to interact and express their comments and questions. I believe that we have the support and the technology that we need for moving forward.

Just one more comment before we get deeper into the details, please feel free to express your opinions on how we can reach more club members and encourage interaction across the entire club. Remember that this club, like all clubs, operates the way the club members want this club to operate. I encourage all club members to raise their voice or do whatever they need to do in order to make their opinion known. If anyone feels that they are not getting what they want, then please say so; I need to hear your opinion. Please, voice your opinion in whatever mechanism is comfortable for you.

Now that we have figured out how we are going to begin to interact, let's get on with the details of this thread. I need to hear from the other club members concerning what we are looking for, as a club, from our Officers. I have begun to list just a few ideas that may be of interest the the club members, however, please note that I only list these to see if there is any interest from other club members. Remember, this club operates the way the club members want it to operate, not the way I want it to operate. Once again, I need to hear from you.

Today, let's start the discussion for the position of President. From a Club President, what do we expect?
Do we want someone who looks for opportunities to support all the others club members, or looks for opportunities to reprimand individual club members?
Do we want someone who looks for ways to cut club costs (which might be reflected in lower dues), or looks for ways to spend more money?
Do we want someone who encourages others to look for opportunities to create more rules, or looks for opportunities to console and comfort individuals who feel that more organization is needed?
Do we want someone who flies with everyone as often as possible, or someone who buries themselves in club "business" (whatever that is) and hardly ever appears at the field?
Do we want someone who looks to all the club members concerning how to operate the club, or do we want someone who feels that they may know how to do it in isolation?
Do we want someone who looks for strategies to limit communication across the club, or someone who has a desire to get everyone talking in whatever mechanism they feel comfortable with?
Do we want someone who expresses desire to really listen to other club members, or someone who tries to keep club members from communicating with the Officers?
Do we want someone who talks, or someone who listens?
Do we want someone who encourages new and additional club members, or someone who looks for ways to keep new members (and previous members) out of the club?
Do we want someone who looks for individual feedback on a ongoing basis, or someone who might discourage feedback?
Do we want an open minded individual, or someone that tells us their opinion?

It's interesting that, as I add items to this list, that a club President position is quite a busy position with a strong level of responsibility. I need to hear from all the other club members in order to get this list trimmed down to what we really expect, and to get everyone's other ideas added to this list.

Also, please remember that, although I still don't know what a Vice President actually does (my apologies), I believe that they are the stand in for a President that may get hit by a bus (God forbid!). Therefore, these comments concerning Presidential candidates may apply to Vice President candidates as well.

Once again, I am only trying to get interaction across all the club members to occur. The more the better! I have tried to keep my personal opinion out of this note, and I apologize if it got included anywhere.

Looking forward to much more communication in order to be able to hear from everyone!

On Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:35 AM, Michael Hollowell <miho...@icloud.com> wrote:
Dave,

Maybe a tech glitch… but the excel spread sheet is there under "Membership Roster".
It has the same properties and the bylaws, minutes, etc…  Has been there since day one.

Let me know what you can see and what you can't out of this list and we can dig into it. (see attachment)

BTW - before anyone asks or says they can't see it… the "online membership renewal" is lock down for testing purposes only so only a few members can see that.

memberroster.tiff

Hope this helps,

Michael

On Nov 07, 2013, at 09:05 AM, Dave Langridge <dlang...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

>As for the club documents, it was decided at a club meeting back in 2012 when the current version of the Website was being created that all club documents would be >member only access.  So once you log in, you will see the bylaws, field flight rules, budget, roster, etc.

Bu no member roster….why not?  IT  has always been available as a spreadsheet until he website fiasco.  It allows club members find and
Contact each other with a certain amount ease.

I think that the roster, he FULL roster, should be reinstated as a download in the club area.

Thanks
Dave L

Mauih...@aol.com

Nov 7, 2013, 1:55:27 PM11/7/13
to rd...@googlegroups.com, rdrc...@gmail.com, club...@googlegroups.com
And so it begins. Misrepresentations by disgruntled members who don't want to obey the rules put in place by the AMA and the club safety officer.  Read between the lines and the tone of the questions.  Nothing but thinly veiled  attacks against current elected club officers  Ah the fellowship, the comradery and the promotion of the sport.  Let me know when we start having fun.

John Dunning