FW: Open this to save the RC Industry

Dave Langridge

Jul 21, 2014, 5:04:15 PM7/21/14
to rd...@googlegroups.com, club...@googlegroups.com

Read and go comment if you have not already done so…..

We Need Your Help To

Save Model Aviation!

July 21 2014

Dear Dave,

There are only four days left to save model aviation.

The FAA has released its what I like to call "RE-interpretation" of the exemption for Model Aircraft, which lays the groundwork to apply needless regulation to the model aviation and RC communities, this in direct contradiction to the expressed desire of Congress and public law.

The deadline for your public comment is this Friday July 25, 2014 and your action is needed immediately.

How You Can Help

The FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 specifically directed the FAA to "exempt" hobbyists and other recreational users of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and model aircraft from regulation, in favor of self-regulation by community-based organizations such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA). Model aviation has an outstanding track record for safety, because the AMA and other groups know how to educate RC hobbyists and apply common-sense guidelines.

The FAA's interpretation is contrary to the letter and the spirit of the law drafted by Congress. While mandated to do so, the FAA has dragged their feet on recognizing any community-based organizations "officially" even as it specifically references the AMA and other groups, contradicting itself. They have proposed examples of regulation that fly in the face of common sense.

For example, AMA guidelines state that when flying a model airplane or UAV using first person view (FPV), a second person must be present as a 'spotter' to keep an eye on the surrounding airspace. This improves situational awareness, as the operator is able to view the sky from his bird while the spotter is able to maintain awareness surrounding the aircraft. It's common sense. The FAA, on the other hand, would do away with FPV flight entirely. If they're willing to unilaterally ban FPV use, what other safe technologies might they ban?

To use another example, the FAA would drastically expand "no fly zones" to every airstrip in the country, and prohibit flights within 500 feet of any other structure, potentially shutting down thousands of sites that RC clubs use for flight, including virtually every urban or suburban flying site. The "Re-interpretation" is so vague that  even a small child's paper airplane could be considered subject to regulation.

These are just two specific examples, but the FAA's "Re-interpretation" has many worrying clauses, and ambiguities that leave room to apply draconian regulation to recreational users of UAVs and model airplanes. There could potentially be a requirement for any model aviator to obtain a full-scale pilot's license, or for a hobbyist who already has a pilot's license to lose it if cited for a violation while flying a model aircraft.

A large-scale and slow-moving bureaucracy such as the FAA is prone to apply one-size-fits-all regulations to aviation without consideration for the special circumstances of any particular group. In fact lawyers not actual pilots are running the FAA. That's why Congress protected model aviation in the 2012 law. The FAA's reinterpretation of the law, however, puts those protections out the window and at risk.

What can you do?

The government is an employee of the people (you) and the best antidote to an overreaching bureaucracy is strong public action. If you make your feelings known, the FAA will listen. However, the federal guidelines for commenting on proposed regulation state that comments will be considered if they are constructive and/or based on evidence. We recommend you read either the interpretation or the AMA's excellent summary and rebuttal of it, note what areas of the interpretation concern you most, and comment based on your expertise and experiences. We also recommend quoting parts of the interpretation you are commenting on in order to be specific.

 Together, we can save model aviation and below is an example to make your feedback to the FAA easier.

Sample Comment

Please note: The guidelines for commenting discourage form letters, so this is a sample. Of course, you're more than welcome to use any of our verbiage you wish.)

To whom it may concern:

I've been flying model airplanes for XXX years, and am vice-president of the Anywhereville RC Club, which has thirty members and works with youth in the Anywhereville area to teach them how to fly, build, and repair model airplanes, teaching them scientific and technical skills (the local high school loves sending us kids to get them interested in science!) I have some very deep concerns about the proposed interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and its potential consequences for my lifelong hobby and for our club. In your reinterpretation, you state:

"The statute sets a requirement for model aircraft operating within 5 miles of an airport to notify the airport operator and control tower, where applicable, prior to operating"

"For example, the FAA regulates low-altitude operations to protect people and property on the ground. The FAA permits aircraft operations below 500 feet when flown over open water and in sparsely populated areas. 14 CFR 91.119(c). Such operations may not be conducted ''closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.''

Your proposals would negatively impact our ability to reach out to youth and teach them how to fly because our flying site is only four miles away from a rarely-used grass airstrip, but under your regulations, that is too close. It's also near a church that donates the space to us for flight, but the proposed regulations state that we can't fly within 500 feet of structures. Our club has never had an incident that injured anyone or caused damage to the property of others, and we make sure all members learn the AMA's guidelines and have the skills needed before flying. We believe that the AMA's guidelines are more than sufficient, having been developed from the expertise of decades spent flying model airplanes.

I also don't understand how, when the law clearly states that model airplanes are exempt from FAA regulations, you can reinterpret the law to apply these same FAA regulations to model aviation. Just what part of "exempt" was not clear?

You further state:

"Any operation not conducted strictly for hobby or recreation purposes could not be operated under the special rule for model aircraft. Clearly, commercial operations would not be hobby or recreation flights. Likewise, flights that are in furtherance of a business, or incidental to a person's business, would not be hobby or recreation flights."

The FAA is charged with protecting the national air space ad not regulating commerce. This concerns me. Another area that concerns me is that the FAA is ignoring the fact that there is not a "rule" for hobbyists. Hobbyists, by way of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, are "exempt," so there is no rule for model aircraft.

Another concern is the restrictions placed on compensation, even reimbursement of expenses, for hobbyists who may wish to travel to competitions, or companies demonstrating their wares. We host a gathering every year that is sponsored by several local hobby shops, and by my reading of your interpretation, that would no longer be allowed as you interpret 'hobby' very narrowly.  Also, according to this reinterpretation, we would not be allowed to give prize money or awards for competitions held at the gathering. I help the local hobby shop flight test new model airplanes, and they do pay me for the assistance; it's a pittance, but under your proposed rules, I'd be unable to accept it.

The third thing that I am concerned about is the potential for a pilot's license to be required. I'm flying model airplanes. We never go more than 400 ft above the ground, we follow Ac-91-57, so why would I need a pilot's license or a medical? This would make it impossible to continue to pursue the hobby, and also make it difficult for us to keep working with youth, especially disadvantaged youth that can't afford a license or qualify for one due to age.

I believe that Congress was wise and made the right decision when they chose to exempt model aviation under the purview of the AMA and other community-based organizations that understand our craft and what we need to be safe. Your proposed reinterpretation seems to open the door to unnecessary and burdensome regulation (something that our government is known for) that will make it very difficult for most hobbyists to continue to enjoy flying.

Let us work to change the reputation that the FAA has and keep flying. We do not need requirements that are completely unnecessary for our hobby. Lets get the lawyers out of the way and use the AMA as an example and have the FAA adopt their training programs, which have worked since the 1930's (longer that the FAA has even been in business.)

Thanks for your consideration and I look forward to a positive outcome.

Sincerely,

Orville Lindbergh

Anywhereville, Georgia

AtlantaHobby.com | 678-513-4450 | cli...@atlantahobby.com | http://www.atlantahobby.com