Custom versions of apps (Kandan, Fat Free CRM, etc.)

Sean Grove

May 10, 2012, 12:04:35 PM5/10/12
to clou...@googlegroups.com
How should we approach this? Ideally, we would have a link under the
settings menu that said, "fork and update to my own code" when running
an app. That would use Github Oauth to create a new public repo on the
user's Github account (or org account), and they would be able to make
changes there and update their app separate from the main repo.

As a general flow, how does this sound?

1.) Launch the app on Cloudfuji
2.) Use the app, realize bugs or features you want. Click "fork my instance"
3.) Accept the warning that you're taking your app and your data into
your own hands
4.) Accept the Github Oauth confirmation page
5.) A public repo is created on your Github account. Edit and iterate
locally using the tane gem. Push when ready.
6.) Click on "update from source" inside your running app to run
through the update process with your new code.
7.) View the logs for the app under the settings tab if anything goes
wrong during the update process. If so, return to step 5.

From a high-level productivity point of view, is this a good flow?
It's quick to deploy, easy to fork, you can develop locally while
simulating Cloudfuji, and you have visibility into the update process.

Thoughts welcome.

Best,
Sean