[ANN] Leiningen support beta

Laurent PETIT

Apr 9, 2012, 1:21:55 PM4/9/12
to counterclockwise, clojuredev-users
Hello,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of a first version of Leiningen support for Eclipse.

This is still beta quality software, but I'd like feedback before I continue adding features.

This Eclipse plugin is currently totally separate from the Counterclockwise plugin, making it easier for me to release both without interfering on each other shoes.

So, there is also a separate Software Update Site for it:

http://ccw.cgrand.net/updatesite-lein-betas

Please tell me how it does work for you!

Tip1 : after installing the plugin, Go to your project's contextual menu, and then Configure > Leiningen
Tip2 : after having installed support, there is a contextual menu entry for Leiningen for the project's root node.

Mark Addleman

Apr 9, 2012, 1:50:17 PM4/9/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, counterclockwise

Very exciting!  I look forward to playing with it this evening

Laurent PETIT

Apr 9, 2012, 1:53:22 PM4/9/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, counterclockwise
As to narrow down the scope : I've focused on proper management of the project's Build Path :

- a "Leiningen Dependencies Container" which holds all deps (transitively) as declared in leiningen
- a Builder which takes care of upgrading the "Leiningen Dependencies Container" everytime the project.clj file is modified
- a Command for resetting the Java Build Path, only invokable "manually" : will reset your source path, add the classes/ folder, etc.

It does not handle (yet) Leiningen plugins/tasks.

Laurent PETIT

Apr 9, 2012, 6:18:59 PM4/9/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, counterclockwise
Ok, first issue reported, which requires to upgrade to a new version of leiningen-core, which cannot be made without adapting to its new API.

Right now, any attempt to download and use the Leiningen support will fail, so please wait for news, and do not try it in the mean time.

News to go probably by thursday.

Cheers,

-- Laurent

Laurent PETIT

Apr 10, 2012, 4:48:49 PM4/10/12
to Laurent PETIT, clojured...@googlegroups.com, counterclockwise
Bug has been fixed and released, you should be able to install and try it, fellow intrepid early adopters !

Laurent PETIT

Apr 10, 2012, 5:38:12 PM4/10/12
to Laurent PETIT, clojured...@googlegroups.com, counterclockwise
Additional info: I will be able to work on CCW in Thursday. So if I can have some feedback before, it'll be great.

Chas Emerick

Apr 11, 2012, 6:56:38 PM4/11/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com
Laurent,

I have four projects in ccw with their classpaths configured entirely via the latest build of your Leiningen plugin, with nREPLs humming! Stellar job.

There's a lot of details to go of course, and I have a number of UX suggestions if you're open to them, but this is a big step.

Thanks as always,

- Chas

--
http://cemerick.com
[Clojure Programming from O'Reilly](http://www.clojurebook.com)

Laurent PETIT

Apr 12, 2012, 1:11:16 AM4/12/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com
Thx chas for the kind words.

If you can make you suggestions real fast, like now, would be great since I'm beginning a work session in an hour or so.

Chas Emerick

Apr 12, 2012, 4:26:52 AM4/12/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com
Here we go:

* source, resource, and test paths are not added to the classpath, requiring manual intervention to have a useful REPL
* Cmd-L appears to be bound to a Leiningen shortcut; that's Go To Line! :-)
* The actions in the Leiningen menu aren't great IMO; try "Update project configuration" and "Update dependencies" instead (ripped off from m2e).
* Workspace resolution. ;-)

- Chas

--
http://cemerick.com
[Clojure Programming from O'Reilly](http://www.clojurebook.com)

Laurent PETIT

Apr 12, 2012, 4:55:49 AM4/12/12
2012/4/12 Chas Emerick <ch...@cemerick.com>
Here we go:

* source, resource, and test paths are not added to the classpath, requiring manual intervention to have a useful REPL

Due to the switch to upgrade to most recent version of leiningen-core just before releasing. They changed some keys from e.g. :source-path to :source-paths and then I delivered a buggy version.
Has been fixed in the version delivered today. (already present in the update site)

* Cmd-L appears to be bound to a Leiningen shortcut; that's Go To Line! :-)

Oh crap, I had carefully verified in the keys shortcuts in the Eclipse preferences, and it wasn't listed :-(

What about Ctrl + L as a prefix for Leiningen shortcuts instead ?

* The actions in the Leiningen menu aren't great IMO; try "Update project configuration" and "Update dependencies" instead (ripped off from m2e).

We had a discussion about that, and thought that the names from m2e weren't clear at all.

"Update dependencies": ok

"Update project configuration" : it is unclear whether this will be an append-only operation (deleting what the user may have added manually in the build path). And also, "project configuration" is pretty vague. Currently the command is just adjusting the java build path, erasing the old content.

* Workspace resolution. ;-)

"Workspace resolution" can be interpreted in a lot of ways.
I'm okay to work on the feature, I would just not end up with the wrong detail.

- Chas

--

On Apr 12, 2012, at 1:11 AM, Laurent PETIT wrote:

Thx chas for the kind words.

If you can make you suggestions real fast, like now, would be great since I'm beginning a work session in an hour or so.

Chas Emerick

Apr 12, 2012, 5:27:08 AM4/12/12
On Apr 12, 2012, at 4:55 AM, Laurent PETIT wrote:

2012/4/12 Chas Emerick <ch...@cemerick.com>
Here we go:

* source, resource, and test paths are not added to the classpath, requiring manual intervention to have a useful REPL

Due to the switch to upgrade to most recent version of leiningen-core just before releasing. They changed some keys from e.g. :source-path to :source-paths and then I delivered a buggy version.
Has been fixed in the version delivered today. (already present in the update site)

Nice, I'll go check it out.

* Cmd-L appears to be bound to a Leiningen shortcut; that's Go To Line! :-)

Oh crap, I had carefully verified in the keys shortcuts in the Eclipse preferences, and it wasn't listed :-(

What about Ctrl + L as a prefix for Leiningen shortcuts instead ?

That's clear from a defaults perspective.  I don't know that shortcuts are desirable to begin with though.  The actions are likely to be invoked quite rarely, esp. since the builder does such a good job at keeping the deps up to date when project.clj changes.

Which reminds me: could the list of dependencies be sorted?

* The actions in the Leiningen menu aren't great IMO; try "Update project configuration" and "Update dependencies" instead (ripped off from m2e).

We had a discussion about that, and thought that the names from m2e weren't clear at all.

"Update dependencies": ok

"Update project configuration" : it is unclear whether this will be an append-only operation (deleting what the user may have added manually in the build path). And also, "project configuration" is pretty vague. Currently the command is just adjusting the java build path, erasing the old content.

"Reset project configuration", then.  Yes, it's only touching the build path right now…but that will change, and the build path is probably the most important part of project configuration anyway.

* Workspace resolution. ;-)

"Workspace resolution" can be interpreted in a lot of ways.
I'm okay to work on the feature, I would just not end up with the wrong detail.

Right, I promised a better description earlier.

Assume project A has a transitive dependency on library X.  If an open project B has the same maven/lein coordinates as library X, then project B's contribution should be added to project A *instead of* a reference to library X's artifact(s).

- Chas

Laurent PETIT

Apr 12, 2012, 9:28:13 AM4/12/12
[...]

Yep, and done.

* The actions in the Leiningen menu aren't great IMO; try "Update project configuration" and "Update dependencies" instead (ripped off from m2e).

We had a discussion about that, and thought that the names from m2e weren't clear at all.

"Update dependencies": ok

"Update project configuration" : it is unclear whether this will be an append-only operation (deleting what the user may have added manually in the build path). And also, "project configuration" is pretty vague. Currently the command is just adjusting the java build path, erasing the old content.

"Reset project configuration", then.  Yes, it's only touching the build path right now…but that will change, and the build path is probably the most important part of project configuration anyway.

Makes sense, changed.

OK, all these changes have been pushed to the leiningen update site.

* Workspace resolution. ;-)

"Workspace resolution" can be interpreted in a lot of ways.
I'm okay to work on the feature, I would just not end up with the wrong detail.

Right, I promised a better description earlier.

Assume project A has a transitive dependency on library X.  If an open project B has the same maven/lein coordinates as library X, then project B's contribution should be added to project A *instead of* a reference to library X's artifact(s).

I agree this is a must have, working on it right now.

The algorithm will be quite as you're writing, with the additional logic as far as version handling is concerned: if A depends on library X version x.y.z, then a project in the workspace with same groupId/artifactId as X will only be used if its version is >= x.y.z

- Chas

Laurent PETIT

Apr 12, 2012, 5:43:05 PM4/12/12
to Niels van Klaveren, clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
2012/4/12 Niels van Klaveren <niels.va...@gmail.com>
One of the new features in Leiningen 2 is support for native libraries. For instance, Quil 1.0.0 uses Lein to download the native dependencies.

These are nicely shown in CCW with lein support in the Package Explorer > Leiningen Dependencies >  expand jar > native folder, as well as the subfolder /native/OS/. However, they are not included in the library path of the project.

I was used to open the jar properties and set the native library path there, but these settings are locked (and rightly so) and can only be changed by changes to the project.clj. Trying results in the message "Leiningen Managed Dependencies. Reflects Leiningen Dependencies declared in project.clj.

As a workaround, one can open the Project properties > Java Build Path > Libraries > Leiningen Dependencies > Native Library Location > Edit > Workspace and browse to the native directory.

I'm posting this both to document the workaround as well as ask the obvious: Will the native library support of Lein 2 be included in CCW lein support ?

Yes, definitely. Created an issue if you want to follow progress on this: http://code.google.com/p/counterclockwise/issues/detail?id=343

By the way, not nitpicking. CCW is without a doubt the best Clojure support in any Java IDE, and the first version of lein support is already more than I anticipated.

Thanks for the kind words!

Op dinsdag 10 april 2012 23:38:12 UTC+2 schreef laurent.petit het volgende:
2012/4/9 Laurent PETIT <lauren...@gmail.com>

Laurent PETIT

Apr 12, 2012, 6:06:30 PM4/12/12
[...]

Something weird happens on my Mac: I don't seen the native deps listed as native libraries of the Leiningen container, nor as individual native libraries of Leiningen container entries.
I also took care of deleting the native-deps/ folder created by leiningen-core when it was invoked.

And even without all this in place, I'm able to run a repl, start quill, and draw the first "The moon delights the night" paint.

Is there some already configured stuff making this work out-of-the-box with my Mac book air ?

Should I try with another OS to reproduce a bug ?

Is it Eclise (3.71) ., or the version of the JVM I'm using (Java SE 6 Mac OS X default) ?

I'm posting this both to document the workaround as well as ask the obvious: Will the native library support of Lein 2 be included in CCW lein support ?

By the way, not nitpicking. CCW is without a doubt the best Clojure support in any Java IDE, and the first version of lein support is already more than I anticipated.
Op dinsdag 10 april 2012 23:38:12 UTC+2 schreef laurent.petit het volgende:
Additional info: I will be able to work on CCW in Thursday. So if I can have some feedback before, it'll be great.

2012/4/9 Laurent PETIT <lauren...@gmail.com>

Laurent PETIT

Apr 14, 2012, 3:30:18 PM4/14/12
to Niels van Klaveren, clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
I just pushed to the Leiningen Software Update  Site ( http://ccw.cgrand.net/updatesite-lein-betas/ ) a new version with Native libraries support.

Cheers,

--
Laurent

Laurent PETIT

Apr 15, 2012, 5:19:33 AM4/15/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, Niels van Klaveren, clojured...@googlegroups.com
2012/4/15 Niels van Klaveren <niels.va...@gmail.com>
By the way, I noticed you opted for changing the classpath in the run configuration. Is that because run configurations are created dynamically, and they would work independently of the platform Eclipse is run under ?

Another option might have been to add an attribute to one or more classpath entries in the classpath file

 <classpathentry kind="con" path="ccw.LEININGEN_CONTAINER"
  <attribute
   name="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.CLASSPATH_ATTR_LIBRARY_PATH_ENTRY"
   value="native/windows/x86_64"/>
</classpathentry>

However, this would mean the .classpath file would have to be rewritten when it is loaded on a different platform ?

Not necessarily, if you check in your version control system the .project and .classpath files.

I did it this way because I thought it would be best placed inside what is managed by the Leiningen Classpath Container, rather than a user editable place.

It also allowed me to start playing with some parts of the JDT (Eclipse Java Development Tools) API which I'll need to use again when I'll implement the "Download sources / Download javadoc artifacts" feature.

Op zaterdag 14 april 2012 21:30:18 UTC+2 schreef laurent.petit het volgende:
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "counterclockwise" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/clojuredev-devel/-/Yt5bGIf927AJ.

Anthony Rosequist

May 1, 2012, 8:16:37 PM5/1/12

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:28:13 AM UTC-5, laurent.petit wrote:

* Workspace resolution. ;-)

"Workspace resolution" can be interpreted in a lot of ways.
I'm okay to work on the feature, I would just not end up with the wrong detail.

Right, I promised a better description earlier.

Assume project A has a transitive dependency on library X.  If an open project B has the same maven/lein coordinates as library X, then project B's contribution should be added to project A *instead of* a reference to library X's artifact(s).

I agree this is a must have, working on it right now.

The algorithm will be quite as you're writing, with the additional logic as far as version handling is concerned: if A depends on library X version x.y.z, then a project in the workspace with same groupId/artifactId as X will only be used if its version is >= x.y.z

Should that be a strict = instead of >=? I'm not sure what m2e does, but it seems like there might be some cases where I would want to use x.y.z (from my local repository) instead of an open project that has a version > x.y.z.

Laurent PETIT

May 2, 2012, 3:43:03 AM5/2/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com
What would maven do if a version > x.y.z were present in your local repository?

Maybe the answer is to honor better the provided version range ?

Paul Lam

Laurent PETIT

May 4, 2012, 5:45:41 AM5/4/12
2012/5/4 Paul Lam <paul...@forward.co.uk>

my :dev-dependencies don't seem to be added to build path

Indeed, leiningen support targets lein2.

It's an intentional decision, to help the adoption of lein2.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/clojuredev-users/-/fU0zK2i3m-YJ.

Jeff Weiss

May 8, 2012, 11:14:02 AM5/8/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, counterclockwise
How am I supposed to import the project into eclipse in the first place?   Seems like I would still have to use lein-eclipse, or maven?  I don't see any option under File->Import.

Laurent PETIT

May 8, 2012, 1:36:33 PM5/8/12
2012/5/8 Jeff Weiss <jeffrey...@gmail.com>
How am I supposed to import the project into eclipse in the first place?   Seems like I would still have to use lein-eclipse, or maven?  I don't see any option under File->Import.

Currently (things may evolve towards more integration in the future), you have to do this in 2 (or 3) steps:

Given that you have already some leiningen project checked out in your filesystem, but not yet in your workspace (so to speak : you want to import an existing project in your workspace):

Steps in summary : import as basic project, add lein support, add eclipse support

Detailed steps:

1/ import it as a "basic" project : there are several ways to do that, let's talk about one: "File > New > Other > General > Project", then enter a name for the project, uncheck "Use default location" and Browse to the location in the disk where your project is".
2/ in the project explorer view, select the project node, and the contextual menu Configure > Convert to Leiningen Project
3/ in the project explorer view, select the project node, and the contextual menu "Enable/Disable Clojure" (in the future 0.9.0, this menu will move to Configure > Convert to Clojure Project for consistency)

HTH,

--
Laurent

On Monday, April 9, 2012 1:21:55 PM UTC-4, laurent.petit wrote:
Hello,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of a first version of Leiningen support for Eclipse.

This is still beta quality software, but I'd like feedback before I continue adding features.

This Eclipse plugin is currently totally separate from the Counterclockwise plugin, making it easier for me to release both without interfering on each other shoes.

So, there is also a separate Software Update Site for it:

http://ccw.cgrand.net/updatesite-lein-betas

Please tell me how it does work for you!

Tip1 : after installing the plugin, Go to your project's contextual menu, and then Configure > Leiningen
Tip2 : after having installed support, there is a contextual menu entry for Leiningen for the project's root node.

timc

May 8, 2012, 5:55:04 PM5/8/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, counterclockwise
I have not used Leiningen before,so I thought I would install this to find out what it's about.
Is there any documentation about this?
Your Tip1: there is only Convert to Maven Project on my project context menu.

Any advice how to get started with this?

Laurent PETIT

May 8, 2012, 6:57:05 PM5/8/12
Le 8 mai 2012 à 23:55, timc <TimG...@gmail.com> a écrit :

I have not used Leiningen before,so I thought I would install this to find out what it's about.
Is there any documentation about this?
Your Tip1: there is only Convert to Maven Project on my project context menu.

Any advice how to get started with this?

The menu will only show up if you have a project.clj file in your project root dir (and of course if you have installed the leiningen plugin from ccw.cgrand.net/updatesite-lein-betas

On Monday, April 9, 2012 6:21:55 PM UTC+1, laurent.petit wrote:
Hello,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of a first version of Leiningen support for Eclipse.

This is still beta quality software, but I'd like feedback before I continue adding features.

This Eclipse plugin is currently totally separate from the Counterclockwise plugin, making it easier for me to release both without interfering on each other shoes.

So, there is also a separate Software Update Site for it:

http://ccw.cgrand.net/updatesite-lein-betas

Please tell me how it does work for you!

Tip1 : after installing the plugin, Go to your project's contextual menu, and then Configure > Leiningen
Tip2 : after having installed support, there is a contextual menu entry for Leiningen for the project's root node.

timc

May 9, 2012, 5:07:57 AM5/9/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, counterclockwise
Well yes, of course I installed the leiningen plugin :)

So this plugin can't create a new leiningen-based project? One has to create it outside Eclipse?

Niels van Klaveren

May 9, 2012, 6:18:12 AM5/9/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
You can't directly create a leiningen project yet, I hope that's next on the development roadmap. You can create a normal Clojure project, add a project.clj and switch the project to Leiningen support. However, the default project structures don't exactly match lein's, you even need to manually create namespace subdirs in src etc.

Currently I use lein 2's lein new to make a new project, and lein 1's lein-ccw plugin to create a classpath and project file. This is far from ideal, so I've been wanting to make a lein 2 plugin version of lein-ccw, so a simple lein new ccw should be all that's needed to make and convert a lein project, and make it ready to import through the default eclipse import project.

Being pretty new to Clojure & Leiningen, and doing it as a hobby, this might take me a bit though.

Laurent PETIT

May 9, 2012, 7:31:59 AM5/9/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojured...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Yes, the first work has been focusing on the "core problem" of managing dependencies well, not adding the (useful!) additions such as a project wizard, etc.
Please note it's still alpha, and still 0.0.1 version, tho :-)

Especially, I've postponed the creation of a wizard because I wanted to think more about how to add it : specific, or using "lein new new" under the hoods ... ?

Given that what we have is already good, and that the missing piece is only really just a wizard for creating new projects from scratch, I think I'll just do a quick & dirty wizard which does what lein1 currently does, label the whole thing 0.1.0 STABLE, and then start working on additional features ( among them, and high priority, tasks support ).

Zmitro Lapcjonak

May 10, 2012, 6:42:47 AM5/10/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, clojuredev-users

On Monday, April 9, 2012 8:21:55 PM UTC+3, laurent.petit wrote:

I'm pleased to announce the availability of a first version of Leiningen support for Eclipse.

this plugin adds shortcut "Update dependencies" Ctrl+L, U
which confuses with "go to line" Ctrl+U

and "run as > clojure app" shortcut Ctrl+Alt+L is not working for me
(don't know if this is related to ccw-lein, however)

--
zmi la

Laurent PETIT

May 18, 2012, 5:36:11 PM5/18/12
2012/5/10 Zmitro Lapcjonak <ido...@gmail.com>

On Monday, April 9, 2012 8:21:55 PM UTC+3, laurent.petit wrote:

I'm pleased to announce the availability of a first version of Leiningen support for Eclipse.

this plugin adds shortcut "Update dependencies" Ctrl+L, U
which confuses with "go to line" Ctrl+U

Yes, I will have to change this.

The idea is that when tasks are available, I'd like to let users be able to create shortcuts for launching their favorite tasks from customized shortcuts. But still have an "umbrella" under which all these shortcuts would be found ( the current not-so-good-idea "Ctrl+L" thingy).

What could be a better pref shortcut which could work for Win/Lin/OS X ?

Maybe Alt + L ?  (then have Alt + L + ...) ?

and "run as > clojure app" shortcut Ctrl+Alt+L is not working for me
(don't know if this is related to ccw-lein, however)

My guess is I introduced a regression in a recent "fix" related to Ctrl+Alt+L.
Would removing your existing Clojure "run configuration" ( Run > Run Configuration ... ) fix this ?

--
zmi la

Benjamin Chi

Jun 9, 2012, 7:43:27 AM6/9/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, counterclockwise
The URL is invalid: http://ccw.cgrand.net/updatesite-lein-betas, is there a new URL?

On Monday, April 9, 2012 1:21:55 PM UTC-4, laurent.petit wrote:
Hello,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of a first version of Leiningen support for Eclipse.

Laurent PETIT

Jun 9, 2012, 8:43:52 AM6/9/12
Le 9 juin 2012 à 14:40, Benjamin Chi <bch...@gmail.com> a écrit :

The URL is invalid: http://ccw.cgrand.net/updatesite-lein-betas, is there a new URL?

Yes, since a week, CCW and Lein integration updatsites have been merged. Now you can grab both, in a single operation, from http://ccw.cgrand.net/updatesite-betas/

You may have to uninstall existing CCW/Lein support the first time.

Cheers,

Laurent

Benjamin Chi

sriram

Jun 15, 2012, 9:27:13 PM6/15/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, counterclockwise
Hello,
                 I am trying to install   Leiningen  plugin in linux But I am unable to do it for some reasons can anyone please point me exact link to install  Leiningen plugin in linux . I  have added counter clock wise plugin .
Thanks
Sriram

Laurent PETIT

Jun 16, 2012, 9:06:16 AM6/16/12
to clojured...@googlegroups.com, counterclockwise
Hello,

Leiningen support is integrated with counterclockwise

But currently still in the beta update site:

Then you can create a new Leiningen project, or project > configure > enable leiningen support for an existing leiningen project.

Maybe you'll have to reset your perspective to get the commands show in the menus.

Cheers,

Laurent