[ANN] beta.clojars.org: new Clojars infrastructure that needs testing

Daniel Compton

Sep 20, 2016, 7:17:55 PM9/20/16
to Clojure List, ClojureScript, clojars-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks

We’re moving the Clojars infrastructure from Linode to the very kind folks at Rackspace. We’re getting close, and have a test server setup at beta.clojars.org. It has a copy of the live database as of a day ago, and is mirroring JARs from the live server. We’ve done testing of what we can, and everything looks ok, but there may be something we’ve missed.

N.B. All state on this server is temporary and will be wiped at the end of the testing period. Make sure to do any real deploys to clojars.org

What we need from you:
We need testing from people running different setups, to make sure this isn’t going to break things for you. If you’re running any kind of unusual setup (OS, JDK, environment, network), we especially need you to test it. To test this, follow the instructions at Mirrors:

In a nutshell, update your ~/.lein/profiles.clj to have this:
:user {:repositories [["clojars" {:url "https://beta.clojars.org/repo/"}]]
;; deploy-repositories is optional :deploy-repositories [["clojars" {:url "https://beta.clojars.org" :username :gpg :password :gpg}]]
       ;; other :user profile settings...
       }

(You can always see the canonical Clojars mirrors at https://github.com/clojars/clojars-web/blob/master/MIRRORS)

If you have issues, either reply to this email, or open an issue on GitHub.

This is the first in a series of infrastructure enhancements coming over the next few months to improve the speed, stability, and security of Clojars.

A special thanks goes to all of the people supporting Clojars at Bountysource, we really appreciate your support.

Thanks,

Your friendly neighbourhood Clojars caretakers.
Toby and Daniel.
--
Daniel

John Gabriele

Sep 21, 2016, 2:05:25 PM9/21/16
to Clojure, clojur...@googlegroups.com, clojars-m...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 7:17:55 PM UTC-4, Daniel Compton wrote:
Hi folks

We’re moving the Clojars infrastructure from Linode to the very kind folks at Rackspace. {snip}

Thanks, sounds like a lot of work. Any particular reasons for the switch?

Toby Crawley

Sep 21, 2016, 2:13:41 PM9/21/16
to clo...@googlegroups.com, clojur...@googlegroups.com, clojars-maintainers
Three main reasons:

* we currently pay for Linode, and Rackspace is donating the server to us
* the majority of Clojars outages over the last year have been due to
DDoS attacks on Linode
* the existing server is a collection of configurations that were
edited in place over the years, so would be very difficult to recreate
in the event of a catastrophic failure. The new server is based off an
ansible setup[1] that makes it much easier to recreate (and rollback).

- Toby

[1]: https://github.com/clojars/clojars-server-config

Daniel Compton

Sep 21, 2016, 5:00:43 PM9/21/16
to Clojure List, ClojureScript, clojars-m...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, sounds like a lot of work. Any particular reasons for the switch?

Yep it was :)

One more reason for moving is that we’re not comfortable with Linode’s security.
--
Daniel

Daniel Compton

Sep 22, 2016, 5:28:04 PM9/22/16
to ClojureScript, Clojure List, clojars-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andy

Good spotting, thanks!

We needed to regenerate the Lucene search index. Normally it is updated incrementally, so there was no Ansible automation to rebuild it. I’m rebuilding the index now, it should be updated soon.

Thanks!

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 3:14 AM Andy Fingerhut <andy.fi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Should searches for packages give results on beta.clojars.org ?

I went to the web page and searched for a couple of packages using search strings that give results on clojars.org, but give no results on beta.clojars.org.

Andy
--
Daniel

---

---

Daniel

Daniel Compton

Sep 25, 2016, 11:25:36 PM9/25/16
to ClojureScript, Clojure List, clojars-m...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks

We have completed migration of the production server (clojars.org) from Linode to Rackspace. Everything seems to have transferred across smoothly. Please let us know if you have any issues.

Thanks
--

Daniel

Daniel Compton

Sep 25, 2016, 11:29:48 PM9/25/16
to ClojureScript, Clojure List, clojars-m...@googlegroups.com
Oh, one more thing, a big thanks to lvh, and Rackspace for sponsoring Clojars. We really appreciate it!
--

Daniel

Alan Moore

Sep 25, 2016, 11:31:27 PM9/25/16
to clojars-m...@googlegroups.com, ClojureScript, Clojure List
Congrats on this important migration! Thanks also for the time and effort the Clojars team put into this.

I encourage everyone to head over to the Clojars issues list where there are many easy/low hanging fruit that await your awesomeness.

Alan
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "clojars-maintainers" group.