A controversial call to bump libraries from 0.x to 1.0

Matching Socks

Feb 18, 2020, 8:46:20 PM2/18/20
to Clojure
Dear August Forum:  Today I noticed a new post on "Inside Clojure" https://insideclojure.org/2020/02/18/lib-version/ , which says, after some thoughtful justification, "we have lots of libraries in the Clojure ecosystem that have been around for many years, are widely used, have stable APIs, and yet are 0.x version. It’s silly for that to be (falsely) indicating to people not to use them, so I have asked Clojure contrib library owners to more actively bump up their library versions."

A 0.x version number is a badge of honor; earned, not bestown.  It is one of the things that makes Clojure stand out.  Let's not throw it away.

If 0.x's -- at org.clojure and beyond -- renumbered themselves as 1.x's, it would set off years of annoying aftershocks as a massive dependency-update churn rippled far and wide.

And still, people who don't like quiet would complain, "Clojure is fine, but most of the libraries never got past 1.0."  You can't outrun that mob.  Stand firm.  If complaints about stasis are going to happen, better they happened to 0.x than 1.x.  You can at least defend 0.x on principle.

In short, I hope maintainers will defer the 0.x to 1.x transition until they must commit a breaking or major change.

Sean Corfield

Feb 18, 2020, 11:03:29 PM2/18/20
to Clojure Mailing List
That ship done sailed already today... many Contrib libs hit 1.0.0 (or 1.0.x) and most of the rest will follow suit in the next several days I expect!

I certainly plan to bump tools.cli and, with Fogus' help, core.cache and core.memoize to 1.0.0. java.jdbc will likely remain at 0.7.11 since its "1.0.0" was really seancorfield/next.jdbc.

---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clojure/53c37f03-d28a-45e3-9903-d30d0c6b163a%40googlegroups.com.

--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
World Singles Networks, LLC. -- https://worldsinglesnetworks.com/

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."

Alex Miller

Feb 19, 2020, 9:31:42 AM2/19/20
to Clojure
I think you are misinterpreting what people believe the 0.x to 1.x means. In the wide world of semver, 0.x indicates "unstable" and 1.x indicates "first stable"- you're conflating that special case with a general n.x to n+1.x which is interpreted as "breaking change". (See https://semver.org/ #4 and #8)

In this case, these contrib libraries at least are already stable and have been so for years. Moving from 0.x to 1.x is recognition of that for those with the above interpretation.

Matching Socks

Mar 14, 2020, 1:20:58 PM3/14/20
to Clojure
(A constructive note) The core.async official API docs are still labeled "core.async 0.7.560-SNAPSHOT (in development)".

I followed the link from https://github.com/clojure/core.async .

Sean Corfield

Mar 14, 2020, 3:09:56 PM3/14/20
to Clojure Mailing List
I don't think the doc generator runs automatically at the moment -- and, for a while, it was having problems processing several Contrib repos (java.jdbc still shows 0.7.10-SNAPSHOT in the generated docs, but 0.7.11 was released a while back).