Clojure turns 5

Rich Hickey

Oct 16, 2012, 9:54:24 PM10/16/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I released Clojure 5 years ago today. It's been a terrific ride so far.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to making Clojure, and its community, great.

Rich

David Jagoe

Oct 16, 2012, 9:54:53 PM10/16/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Happy Birthday Clojure.

And thanks Rich!
> --

David Jagoe

david...@gmail.com
+18053284389

Baishampayan Ghose

Oct 16, 2012, 10:00:45 PM10/16/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
That's huge! Time flies. Happy Birthday Clojure and thank you very
much Rich for creating Clojure and fostering this amazing community.

Regards,
BG
> --

Baishampayan Ghose
b.ghose at gmail.com

Joseph Smith

Oct 16, 2012, 10:01:14 PM10/16/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Whoo hoo!! Party!!!

Thanks to everyone, especially Rich, for creating and contributing to Clojure. :)

---
Joseph Smith
j...@uwcreations.com
@solussd

XPherior

Oct 16, 2012, 10:02:51 PM10/16/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to everyone. This community is transforming software engineering in a great way.

Paul Mooser

Oct 16, 2012, 10:03:29 PM10/16/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for clojure.

Using clojure has exposed me to new ideas and made be a better programmer. I consider myself lucky to be able to use it every day at work.

Softaddicts

Oct 16, 2012, 10:26:05 PM10/16/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Congratulations Rich,

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_F0yEiHzEaRc/S1NUOQ1kNeI/AAAAAAAAC14/cAUqKY8nISk/s1600-h/HappyBdayFiveCandles.jpg

You can try to blow the candles :)

Happy birthday !

Luc

> I released Clojure 5 years ago today. It's been a terrific ride so far.
>
> Thanks to everyone who contributes to making Clojure, and its community, great.
>
> Rich
>
> --

Softaddicts<lprefo...@softaddicts.ca> sent by ibisMail from my ipad!

David Nolen

Oct 16, 2012, 11:15:41 PM10/16/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Congrats!

kovas boguta

Oct 16, 2012, 11:40:58 PM10/16/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Congrats!

The output coming out of Rich and Clojure/core lately is coming at an
unbelievable pace. Keep up the good work :)

Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant

Oct 16, 2012, 11:44:51 PM10/16/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Woohoo! Thanks Rich, and to the Clojure community.

Ambrose

Rich

AtKaaZ

Oct 16, 2012, 11:24:02 PM10/16/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
That's a lot of hard work. I am amazed of how much work goes into making such great software with the studying and the many years spent training yourself(generally speaking, not just Rich, but certainly I myself am not part of that list) before the project even started. Sometimes it just boggles my mind realizing how impossible it would've been for me to do that  coupled with the amount of work and prerequisites that the body/mind required to have had to do it.

Clojure is much appreciated! Thank you all for all the hard work making this possible.

Rich

I may be wrong or incomplete.
Please express any corrections / additions,
they are encouraged and appreciated.
At least one entity is bound to be transformed if you do ;)

Robert Luo

Oct 17, 2012, 12:39:36 AM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
It was an incredible language, five years with clojure is an incredible journey, helping me understand programming better, and do programming better. Thanks Rich!

Alex Baranosky

Oct 17, 2012, 12:59:54 AM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Clojure is the gift that keep giving.  I, for one, really appreciate what you've done Rich, and can't wait to work with it more and take part in the community as it grows.

Alex

James Qiu

Oct 17, 2012, 1:07:38 AM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rich for having bring such a great gift to us.

Bruce Durling

Oct 17, 2012, 5:39:23 AM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rich and Happy Birthday Clojure!

cheers,
Bruce
> --

@otfrom | CTO & co-founder @MastodonC | mastodonc.com

eniotna

Oct 17, 2012, 5:50:13 AM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rich, the community too!

Happy birthday Clojure

May the repl be with you :D

Antoine

Herwig Hochleitner

Oct 17, 2012, 6:46:05 AM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Happy birthday Clojure!

Big thanks to Rich and the whole community!

Jim foo.bar

Oct 17, 2012, 6:54:19 AM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
WOW! Has it been 5 years already? Thanks a lot Rich for this beautiful
gift to all of us...You rock and Clojure rules!!!

Jim

Eric Thorsen

Oct 17, 2012, 7:18:36 AM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I remember having lunch discussing what a great world it would be if we could earn a living coding in a lisp.
You not only made that happen but started something that I could never have imagined at the time.
Thanks for Clojure and thanks to the incredible community that continues to inspire me every day.

Eric

Niels van Klaveren

Oct 17, 2012, 9:07:23 AM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
(take 5 (range))

Many happy return values, Rich !

Timothy Washington

Oct 17, 2012, 10:06:24 AM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM, XPherior <madru...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks to everyone. This community is transforming software engineering in a great way.

I was just thinking that the other day. Language of course is a tool that helps us humans communicate with each other, and describe the world around us. The same applies with math or music notation, letting us describe and manipulate logic and sound. In fact, the whole domain of Linguistics got turned on its head with Chomsky in the 50s.

With computing, so many people get caught up in the OO vs. Functional vs. Declarative vs. etc. debates. But those are the wrong questions in my opinion. I want to know when I need to express in a general purpose manner vs domain specific vs logic, etc. And that's the fascinating thing. From what I can tell, Rich Hickey has actually advanced the science of information and computing, even beyond a general purpose, functional language. It's really intriguing to watch in real time !!

Thanks Rich. And thanks to the wonderful community that's advancing the craft of Computer Science.

Tim

Gary Johnson

Oct 17, 2012, 10:30:44 AM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
You have made my dissertation not only bearable but an absolute blast, Rich. Thank you for your pioneering spirit, endless calls for incorporating higher principles in programming, and just being that awesome, humble guy with the crazy hair.

  ~Gary

Timothy Baldridge

Oct 17, 2012, 10:41:00 AM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
The one thing that has excited me the most about Clojure, is how it blends old and new ideas so well. Clojure is a language based ideas originally created in 1958. It runs on a VM created in 1990. It has a concurrency model never seen before, and it's data structures are based on concepts created in 2000.

Clojure really is the best of the last 54 years of computing crammed into one language that's so small that a person can read through the entire source code in a few weekends.

When I hear the word abstraction I think of Clojure. When I think of simplicity, I think of Clojure. When I think of concurrency, I think of Clojure.

So thank you Rich...thank you for ruining all other languages for me.

Timothy

Jim foo.bar

Oct 17, 2012, 11:01:20 AM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
On 17/10/12 15:41, Timothy Baldridge wrote:
> So thank you Rich...thank you for ruining all other languages for me.

+1
very well put...

Jim

Paul deGrandis

Oct 17, 2012, 1:37:56 PM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Whoa, five years?!  So awesome.

Congrats!

Rostislav Svoboda

Oct 17, 2012, 5:12:57 PM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
HB!

Mauricio Aldazosa

Oct 17, 2012, 5:17:00 PM10/17/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Congrats!

Mimmo Cosenza

Oct 18, 2012, 1:03:08 PM10/18/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I came very recently to clojure, having crossed CL in the 80's, c/c++ in the 90's and java in the 00's. A long travel to find with clojure a kind of very comfortable destination very close to where I started from + seqs and laziness.

thanks Rich, and all of you too to brought me back on joy of programming

Mimmo

Devin Walters

Oct 18, 2012, 2:58:44 PM10/18/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com, Kelly Rauwerdink
Happy Birthday, Clojure.

'(Devin Walters)
> --
happy_5th_birthday_clojure.png

Denis Labaye

Oct 18, 2012, 4:29:11 PM10/18/12
to clo...@googlegroups.com
bravo!

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Brian Kirkbride <br...@otherpeoplespixels.com> wrote:
Congratulations Rich. Many thanks to you and the many people that have contributed to making Clojure what it is today.

Learning and using Clojure has truly brought the joy back to creating software and I needed that!

Best,
Brian