emacs Expectations Mode - can't make it work

Yuri Steinschreiber

Jan 24, 2016, 7:58:23 PM1/24/16
to Clojure
Hi -

Is anybody using Expectations Mode https://github.com/gar3thjon3s/expectations-mode? When I try to use it with the latest CIDER and cider-nrepl I get "Symbol's definition is void: nrepl-send-string" when trying to run expectations test.

I suspect version mismatch between Expectations Mode and CIDER or cider-nrepl, but before digging deeper I'd like to make sure I'm not on a wild goose chase.

My environment: emacs 24.4.1 Ubuntu (the same happens on 24.5.1 on Windows,) CIDER 0.11.0-snapshot from melpa, cider-nrepl 0.10.1, I'm using emacs Prelude with only slight additional customizations. By the way, I get a bunch of warnings on REPL startup about version mismatch between CIDER and  cider-nrepl - not sure if it's related, but can anybody can either tell me it's ok, or point at the way of fixing it.

p.s. Not an emacs expert by a long shot, so might be missing something totally obvious.

Yuri Steinschreiber

Jan 25, 2016, 4:17:07 AM1/25/16
to Clojure
Responding to my own question:

1. Indeed, Expectations Mode can't work with CIDER starting from 0.8.0, after refactoring and function renaming. So apparently no one is using it.
2. The same issue was already reported to Expectations Mode https://github.com/gar3thjon3s/expectations-mode/issues/11 a couple of months ago.
3. I tried to fix expectations-mode.el, adjusting the function names, but then hit another problem. Unfortunately, can't devote more effort to it.

Sadly, Expectations Mode seems to be abandoned. Leaving an FYI to the community.

Cheers.................Yuri

Sean Corfield

Jan 25, 2016, 12:47:16 PM1/25/16
to Clojure Mailing List
Yuri Steinschreiber wrote on Monday, January 25, 2016 at 1:17 AM:
Sadly, Expectations Mode seems to be abandoned. Leaving an FYI to the community.

We stopped using expectations-mode a long time ago, instead adding this to our Emacs config:

;; run expectations
(defun run-expectations ()
  (interactive)
  (cider-insert-in-repl "(expectations/run-tests [*ns*])" t))
(global-set-key (kbd "C-c C-/") 'run-expectations)

It’s short, simple, addresses our most common use case, and works well with our workflow (C-c C-k, C-c M-n and then write/update a test, C-c C-c to eval it, C-c C-/ to run it, rinse, repeat).

Sean

Yuri Steinschreiber

Jan 25, 2016, 5:20:11 PM1/25/16
to Sean Corfield, Clojure Mailing List

Thanks Sean! Simple and sufficient. I’ll try to also implement something similar (probably a macro) in IntelliJ while waiting for Cursive to add Expectations support.

Cheers……. Yuri

---

Jason MacLulich

May 27, 2016, 9:19:50 AM5/27/16
to Clojure

Just had to add that this emacs binding was awesome! Worked great.

Thanks for posting that Sean.