Java learning resources for Clojurists?

Paul Gowder

Aug 15, 2017, 10:20:04 PM8/15/17
to Clojure
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend decent resources for learning Java for experienced Clojurists who don't do enough interop?

After writing Clojure for about a year and a half, I find that the most continuous barrier I encounter is in understanding how to drop down to the JVM.  And it's even a barrier in using some core CLJ libraries.

Here's an illustration of the problem I often have.  I was writing a web application using Reagent/Immutant, and I wanted to pass data from frontend to backend over a websocket in transit format. But the only example in the github readme for Transit-CLJ involves dealing with data as a Java bytestream.  And it was just too daunting to try to figure out what flavor of JVM string the stuff being received over the websocket was under the hood, how to cast it into a bytearrayinputstream or whatever else can fit into a transit "writer," etc. Or even just like where to start translating from "here, I have a Clojure string" to "oh god, now it has to turn into some kind of low-level object that isn't a string and isn't a file but is something in between and maybe it has to be a stream and maybe it doesn't

Yet almost all "how to learn java" materials I can turn up seem to be directed at total beginner programmers, and start with stuff like "here's what a for loop is" rather than practical stuff like "here's how to sort out the different kinds of array-whatsits and byte-whatsats" or "here's how the entry point of a java library works" or whatnot.

I'm hoping there's something out there (that goes a bit deeper than the wonderful-but-not-quite-what-i-need interop chapter in Brave and True) that someone can recommend.

thanks!

-Paul

Daniel Compton

Aug 15, 2017, 10:24:45 PM8/15/17
to Clojure
Eric Normand has a course "JVM Fundamentals for Clojure" which might be useful? https://purelyfunctional.tv/courses/jvm-clojure/

---

Paul Gowder

Aug 16, 2017, 12:02:58 AM8/16/17
to Clojure
Oh, thank you, that looks like a great resource!