Best Book for Clojure

pbi...@gmail.com

Mar 13, 2018, 8:44:55 PM3/13/18
to Clojure
I want to buy a  book.
Which is the best book for clojure?

Sean Corfield

Mar 13, 2018, 9:54:43 PM3/13/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com

The answer depends on many things: how much programming experience do you have and in which languages? How much Clojure have you done so far? Do you like a reference-style book or one that is more conversational?

Sean Corfield -- (970) FOR-SEAN -- (904) 302-SEAN

-- Margaret Atwood

Mar 13, 2018, 10:02:58 PM3/13/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I have 7 years experience in java and J2EE.
I am new for functional programming like Clojure.

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 8:54 PM, Sean Corfield <se...@corfield.org> wrote:

The answer depends on many things: how much programming experience do you have and in which languages? How much Clojure have you done so far? Do you like a reference-style book or one that is more conversational?

Sean Corfield -- (970) FOR-SEAN -- (904) 302-SEAN

-- Margaret Atwood

Mar 13, 2018, 10:54:22 PM3/13/18
to Clojure
This book is somewhat out-of-date but still the best book I have read on Clojure.
And I am so unhappy to see the second edition not come out.

Clojure Programming: Practical Lisp for the Java World

bijay paudel

Mar 13, 2018, 11:13:39 PM3/13/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for information

Nando Breiter

Mar 14, 2018, 8:03:57 AM3/14/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I found Getting Clojure by Russ Olsen to be an excellent overview of the language with sufficient detail to get someone programming in Clojure.

https://pragprog.com/book/roclojure/getting-clojure

Aria Media Sagl
+41 (0)76 303 4477 cell
skype: ariamedia

Sean Corfield

Mar 14, 2018, 1:46:55 PM3/14/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com

Since you’re solid on the JVM, I’d recommend these two titles:

I think the latter is particularly helpful in “unlearning” the OOP habits that make learning FP harder.

Then, for more on the “Why?” of Clojure:

Sean Corfield -- (970) FOR-SEAN -- (904) 302-SEAN

-- Margaret Atwood

Mar 14, 2018, 9:33:36 PM3/14/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for information.

Regards!
Bijay

alex

Mar 16, 2018, 3:57:18 AM3/16/18
to Clojure
That's very subjective, but I'd vote for "Joy of Clojure" for understanding ideas behind language design and some idiomatic use cases. I'd not recommend "Clojure Programming" for start, as it's very comprehensive and dives deep into detailes(which was a minus when I was starting with Clojure and wanted some quick wins), so I mostly use it as a language reference in my everyday job. But again, that's all subjective and depends on your experience and learning approach. "Brave and true" also seems to be quick and lightweight starting(and only starting) point, if you're comfortable with all that zombies and vampires in examples which are far from real life.

iamDecim

Jun 9, 2018, 9:25:46 PM6/9/18
to Clojure
I tend to buy every book that comes out... i'm REALLY enjoying Getting Clojure.  Very fast and straight forward. It's an easy read but explains a lot fast.

Ashima Athri

Jun 12, 2018, 10:25:49 AM6/12/18
to Clojure
Just to provide my experience in case someone else wanders across this post and finds it helpful, I'm currently reading "Clojure for the Brave and True" and find it a fun and fast read, especially as the examples have equivalents in JS and Ruby which I'm comfortable with. I think it's a good introduction to the language and sets me up to read more in-depth books like Clojure Programming which is next on my reading list. Although as someone else mentioned, zombies and vampires might not be your cup of tea (or coffee) :D

- Ashima

Rick Mangi

Jun 12, 2018, 11:40:46 AM6/12/18
to clo...@googlegroups.com