Clojure on heroku throws exception today

Jonathon McKitrick

Jan 22, 2013, 8:59:40 PM1/22/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I've been deploying/testing/running a noir app on heroku for weeks.  This morning, I ran 'heroku run lein run', which never has an issue.  I got this:

java.lang.RuntimeException: No such var: repl/profile, compiling:(leiningen/standalone_repl.clj:9)

I checked out the GitHub repos for leiningen and leiningen_repl, but nothing jumps out as the cause.  I require leiningen 2.0.0, but dropping this requirement allows the repl task to load and run.

Running this same project locally has no issues.  Creating an empty project and uploading to a new Heroku app fails in the same way.  Requiring leiningen 2.0.0 fails, not requiring it passes.

What would have changed on Heroku or these projects this morning?  Or what else could be the cause?

Phil Hagelberg

Jan 22, 2013, 11:07:39 PM1/22/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com

Jonathon McKitrick writes:

> I checked out the GitHub repos for leiningen and leiningen_repl, but
> nothing jumps out as the cause. I require leiningen 2.0.0, but dropping
> this requirement allows the repl task to load and run.

This is due to the release of Leiningen 2.0.0; the buildpack currently
back-ports a bugfix to the repl via an alias in a way that only works in
the preview. For the time being you can use `lein trampoline repl`
explicitly; I'll push a fix for the alias tomorrow. Thanks for bringing
this to my attention.

-Phil

Jonathon McKitrick

Jan 23, 2013, 8:21:54 AM1/23/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
And *this* is what I love about Clojure and the Clojure community....

Jonathon McKitrick

Jan 24, 2013, 8:43:10 PM1/24/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I just tried again, with and without trampoline, and now I'm getting this:

Retrieving net/cgrand/parsley/0.9.1/parsley-0.9.1.jar from clojars
ConnectException Connection refused
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect (PlainSocketImpl.java:-2)
java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect (AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:327)
java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress (AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:193)
java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect (AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:180)
java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect (SocksSocketImpl.java:384)
java.net.Socket.connect (Socket.java:546)
java.net.Socket.connect (Socket.java:495)
java.net.Socket.<init> (Socket.java:392)
java.net.Socket.<init> (Socket.java:206)
clojure.tools.nrepl/connect (nrepl.clj:177)
clojure.core/apply (core.clj:601)
clojure.tools.nrepl/add-socket-connect-method!/fn--332 (nrepl.clj:219)
Bye for now!

AtKaaZ

Jan 25, 2013, 12:08:46 AM1/25/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
looks like you denied outgoing for java.exe in your firewall
the java.exe that's in your path(or in JAVA_HOME if set)

in my case:
ie. cmd.exe
C:\Users\user>java -version
java version "1.7.0_09"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.5-b02, mixed mode)

C:\Users\user>where java
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_09\bin\java.exe

C:\Users\user>echo %JAVA_HOME%
C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_09
(but I also have PATH set to it)

I may be wrong or incomplete.
Please express any corrections / additions,
they are encouraged and appreciated.
At least one entity is bound to be transformed if you do ;)

AtKaaZ

Jan 25, 2013, 12:10:55 AM1/25/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I wonder how the double posting happens (I've seen others do it), and I've sent that from gmail. (I'll assume something causes the send email to happen twice)

Jonathon McKitrick

Jan 25, 2013, 6:57:17 AM1/25/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com
And that wouldn't make sense on Heroku, would it?

Phil Hagelberg

Jan 25, 2013, 1:10:38 PM1/25/13
to clo...@googlegroups.com

Jonathon McKitrick writes:

> I just tried again, with and without trampoline, and now I'm getting this:

Sorry about this; there was a bug that was affected by the networking
limitations on dynos. I've pushed out a fix now.

-Phil