taking my clojure game to a higher level

chia kang ren

Aug 20, 2016, 11:59:42 PM8/20/16
to Clojure
I started programming with Racket 2 years ago and i decided i want to use a Lisp with more libraries at my disposal. So i have made some headway into Clojure and am familiar with core functions like map, reduce, filter, loop, for, doseq, some, every?, apply. I make use of macros like ->, ->>, ..  sometimes. I'm somewhat familiar with destructuring and the clojure data structures.

I have never seen the need to learn transients, macros, protocols, transducers, multimethods, have struggled with string and file I/O operations on the rare occasions i need to use them. I have a vague idea of things like "parallelism", "concurrency", probably because the applications i build never have had a need of such things. I have a vague idea of how expensive calls to this or that function would be.

Most of my explorations have been with Clojurescript using Om or solving puzzles, so i have been limited to mostly small scripts, or projects that never go beyond a few files.

I would like to step up my game. I like working in Clojure enough and i think i have had enough of scripts, i want to write Clojure programs. I want to understand how to make the most of this language, and I would appreciate very much anecdotes/guidance from the community on how to do so

adrian...@mail.yu.edu

Aug 21, 2016, 11:32:08 AM8/21/16
to Clojure
I think you just need a project to motivate you to go deeper into the language. Take on a project that you've been wanting to work on for some time and write it in Clojure.

Mark Engelberg

Aug 21, 2016, 7:24:39 PM8/21/16
to clojure

chia kang ren

Aug 21, 2016, 11:36:59 PM8/21/16
to Clojure
I have gotten a copy of the book and am starting to work through it - thanks. I have found https://aphyr.com/tags/Clojure a very good resource as well for more in-depth learning

chia kang ren

Aug 21, 2016, 11:38:36 PM8/21/16
to Clojure
You are right - right now the apps that a junior dev like me are just simple stuff like webapps, which i have tried before with Clojure (but learning about webapps, Clojure and the libraries out there all at the same time made me abandon my efforts after 2 months). I am thinking i should look read the source code of Luminus and see where that takes me.