[GSoC] Typed Overtone proposal

Christopher Medrela

Mar 21, 2015, 1:03:52 PM3/21/15
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Hello! As you may remember I wanted to work at "Source meta information model"
project during Google Summer of Code this year, but I've decided to switch to
"typed Overtone" project because there was already another student (Richard)
who wanted to work at the same project. I believe that Clojure community will
benefit more if we work at different projects.

What I'd like to do this summer is:

1) Writing excellent tutorial make Overtone less harsh. While there are some
   topical guides and incomplete reference, there is no introductory tutorial.
   And Overtone requires also some musical knowledge. I believe that if we
   lower the entry barrier, Overtone can became a Clojure killer app that will
   foster Clojure adoption.

2) Typing Overtone to stress core.typed and find its limits.

You can find my proposal at github [1]. If you have some thoughts, feedback or
criticism, feel free to share it!

Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant

Mar 21, 2015, 1:15:18 PM3/21/15
to clojure
We should work on this proposal, I sent you some suggestions.

Thanks,
Ambrose

---

Chris Ford

Mar 21, 2015, 2:51:20 PM3/21/15
to Clojure
That sounds a cool idea.

One interesting challenge will be how specific you can make the types of things like unit generators, which can be used in very different ways e.g. low frequency for vibrato, high frequency for tones themselves.

Christopher Medrela

Mar 24, 2015, 1:27:43 PM3/24/15
to clo...@googlegroups.com
I've updated my proposal. The main changes are in this section [1].

atucker

Mar 24, 2015, 4:34:42 PM3/24/15
to clo...@googlegroups.com
Best of luck with your proposal!

The main part of my proposal is porting Overtone, that is type checking it using core.typed, which is a great optional type system with stuff like dependent types built in

This caught my eye.  Does core.typed support dependent types?  I might start looking into it if so...

Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant

Mar 24, 2015, 4:41:11 PM3/24/15
to clojure
core.typed supports a restricted form of dependent types via occurrence typing. Refinement types will also be
coming later this year.

See some examples here.

Thanks,
Ambrose

Ambrose Bonnaire-Sergeant

Mar 24, 2015, 4:42:18 PM3/24/15
to clojure
Try them out here.

Thanks,
Ambrose

Christopher Medrela

Mar 26, 2015, 11:33:55 AM3/26/15
to clo...@googlegroups.com
The deadline for student applications is tomorrow. If anybody have some
thoughts or comments, please don't hesitate and share it here.