Ticket help

Alex Miller

May 19, 2015, 5:20:37 PM5/19/15
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
As we (hopefully) near the final release of 1.7, I've been working on getting highly voted/prioritized tickets in shape for review in the next release. Below are a few that need some help before they are ready to review. I can't guarantee these will be accepted for 1.8, but I think it's either likely or having a great patch would improve its chances.

CLJ-1562 - some->,some->>,cond->,cond->> and as-> doesn't work with (recur)
I have not reviewed the patch deeply but it seems like it's on the right track. However, there are no tests for any of these macros in the current test suite. I would love to have some (regardless of the ticket).

CLJ-703 - Improve writeClassFile performance
The description for this ticket needs to be something that a screener can read to fully understand the problem, proposed solution, performance implications, and tradeoffs. Right now it does not seem up to date with information discussed in comments, which patch should be considered, performance data, and what we might lose by making the change. It would be great if someone could help get this in shape.

CLJ-1449 - Add clojure.string functions for portability to ClojureScript
I've dropped comments on here about what this patch needs. I am not sure yet what Rich will think about this idea but having a really good patch could help. Be sure to read the comments in clojure.string about what is expected for the fns in clojure.string.

Alex

Andy Fingerhut

May 26, 2015, 8:30:27 PM5/26/15
to cloju...@googlegroups.com
The 3 tickets Alex mentioned are in the triaged state right now (see
below for a rough definition of a few of the ticket states).  The
triaged, vetted, and backlogged tickets are the most likely ones to be
considered for inclusion in the next release of Clojure after 1.7.0.

Some of these tickets have patches that fail tests, or the patch does
not apply cleanly to the latest version of Clojure source code (all it
takes is one 'context' line in the patch to change for git to complain
when applying it).  If you are interested in helping update these
patches, there is a list of such tickets here:

The section titled "Updating stale patches" at the next link has some
instructions on how to update existing patches that no longer apply
cleanly:

Andy

P.S.: I used to update the needs-work.txt report fairly often, but
have decided to do so only once or twice per Clojure release.  Most of
the time a patch goes stale it is easy to freshen, but there is not
much reason to do so until the patch is being considered.

Rough ticket state definitions:

Triaged means Alex (or another screener) thinks Rich might approve of
the changed described in the ticket.

Vetted means Rich has approved the proposed change.  Backlogged is
similar, except Rich will consider them for a future Clojure release,
not the one that is currently being planned as the next release.

Incomplete means Rich or a screener thinks something should change
about a proposed patch before it will be considered again.