Clojure web stack

Bayan Khalili

Apr 16, 2016, 7:53:22 AM4/16/16
to clojure-australia
Hi all,

I've been out of the Clojure scene for too long.

Coming back, it looks like the community has grown a lot.

It's always been a mature crowd, but there are more of you now, contributing to the ecosystem with tools, libraries, books, blogs, Quora/Stack Overflow answers, and so on.

So I was wondering what the current state of affairs was in Australia. Things look very different from the landscape I recall a mere couple of years ago.

Specifically, I want to build a new web application using Clojure/Clojurescript - what are your recommendations for any libraries for any part of the stack?

Bayan Khalili

Harry

Apr 17, 2016, 6:41:59 PM4/17/16
to clojure-australia
Hi Bayan,

welcome back to Clojure!
There are many libraries and a number of frameworks for web development with Clojure/Clojurescript.
As always, it depends on what you want to build.
Many tools help with the single page style app with Clojurescript and immutable datastructures over Javascript and mutable data.

Lately a lot of attention has been on the use of React as the view technology, with a single tree holding all the application data.
Libraries around that are Om Next and Reagent with extensions like Re-frame.

The great thing I find about using that approach is that it is now available too as React Native to build cross platform IOS and Android apps.
Basically allowing us to leverage Clojure and web dev (flexbox, css) knowledge on the server, web-app and mobile app.

In fact, I had built an MVP for a new idea as a mobile friendly web-app with Reagent/Re-frame but now find it easier to work on the native mobile app (with re-natal) than on the web app.
Something to do with how constraints drive focus.

On the other hand, there are more batteries-included frameworks like Luminus and Hoplon that have a strong opinion on web app development style that might suit what you are trying to build.
The http://www.clojure-toolbox.com/ is a good source of what's available (and that's heaps!)

cheers, Harry

Leonardo Borges

Apr 17, 2016, 6:48:16 PM4/17/16
to clojure-australia
In addition to Harry's great recommendations I thought I'd mention Arachne, a kickstarter campaign by Luke VanderHart. It's not ready so it's more for keeping an eye on and keeping track of its progress: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1346708779/arachne-rapid-web-development-for-clojure