Current status?

Matthew Davidson

Mar 17, 2016, 12:47:00 PM3/17/16
to clj-webdriver
Hi Daniel, first, thanks for putting in the effort to create clj-webdriver.

I just started looking into it and Selenium, and I'm trying to figure out whether to commit to clj-webdriver, or use Selenium directly.

It appears there hasn't been any GitHub activity in the last 5 months, and I've run into a few documentation issues that trip me up as I learn it. I respect that life happens, I'm just wondering what your honest assessment is for the future of clj-webdriver.

I know it's not easy to maintain an open-source project on top of a FT job and everything else, I'm just looking for a little insight to help make a decision.

Best,
Matthew

Daniel Gregoire

Mar 17, 2016, 1:50:10 PM3/17/16
to clj-we...@googlegroups.com
Dear Matthew,

Thanks for your note and your candor. The numbers do speak for themselves, as to the level of my ongoing support of the project. Good intentions, poor follow-through.

A couple of thoughts:

I've been on the lookout for a second maintainer for the project for a while. If you're interested in such a role, let me know and point me to some of your Clojure code so I can get a sense of where you are. I'd give you write access to the repo and the Clojars group.

clj-webdriver is a relatively thin layer on top of the Selenium-WebDriver Java classes. The next release I had planned was going to remove a number of features that were essentially just interop layers, leaving in place the things that actually add value in addition to wrapping interop. I had also hoped to add a new type of DSL using some higher-order functional programming, which I'm about half-way through, and may decide to cut a release that is just subtractive before cutting a further release that would add in that new API.

Let me know if you (or anyone else reading this) is interested in taking on maintainer responsibilities.

Regards,
Daniel

Matthew Davidson

Mar 17, 2016, 3:20:04 PM3/17/16
to clj-webdriver
Thank you for the quick response. I'm not sure I'm well-suited to help maintain clj-webdriver just yet, but I'm happy to help. I'm very new to Selenium and clj-webdriver, and while I've played around with Clojure for a while now, I only started programming full-time in it a few weeks ago. (If you're still considering it, my GitHub username is KingMob; the most relevant public repos would be sailing-study-app and and CrossWords.)

Best,
Matthew

Niels van Klaveren

Mar 24, 2016, 7:18:09 AM3/24/16
to clj-webdriver
Same thing here, I'm an avid user of clj-webdriver and would very much like to help out, but I'm not convinced enough of my clojure skills and github fu to step forward and help out.

I have been keeping tabs on the API experimentation branch and am pretty excited about the new API. Very clean and seems to offer a good middle ground between the Taxi and core API without needing two API's. Been trying to grok the monadic implementation behind it though and am failing miserably, due to monads being very new and scary to me

Luckily Selenium changes have been pretty minor, keeping what we have quite workable, and not needing to do all the exclusions is a big pro as well. Including selenium manually was a good step for people already working with your library, although it might make the initial step a bit (IMHO a very small bit) more difficult.

Anyway, thanks for the great work Daniel, much appreciated.

Niels

Gary Deer

Nov 9, 2016, 1:01:45 PM11/9/16
to clj-webdriver
I'm currently struggling at maintaining Marginalia so I understand the struggle. You hate to put your personal life out there on the internet so on the outside it looks like you're just neglectful, or at least that's how I assume people perceive me. Especially when they open up pull requests to fix breaking defects days after the issue was filed and then it finally gets merged in six months later.

For a good span of time I didn't even have the time or energy to coordinate the people that were trying to help out, so I also understand that struggle.

This project was one of the first ones I started playing around with when I was first learning Clojure so it's near and dear to my heart.

I definitely want to help out any way I can.