Fwd: Suggested 'server' for hosting clojure web app

Ravindra Jaju

Jun 29, 2013, 11:09:08 AM6/29/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

I meant to send this mail here, but sent it to another one by mistake. Posting here again.

[To: clo...@googlegroups.com]

I want to deploy a small web app - serving mostly static content. I'm using Luminus (http://www.luminusweb.net/) - which is quite neat in the way it builds itself from well-known components.

I'm having trouble deciding how to deploy it. I want some automation while deploying upgrades, and would like it to be light-weight. Jetty, http-kit, or immutant?
(I tried immutant - but it seems to be taking up too much memory for my comfort, on my modest server.)

Jetty and http-kit - I would like to hear about how I can deploy them as nice system daemons, with monitoring etc. so that they can be brought up automatically if something goes wrong. I'm also unable to find out how I can do a re-deploy without restarting.

Any help or pointers appreciated!

Thanks,
jaju

letronje

Jun 30, 2013, 12:48:27 PM6/30/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what's the defacto for java daemons but supervisord is a decent tool for starting, monitoring processes and restarting them if they go down and so on.

One simple re-deploy strategy would be copy/git-pull latest code and just kill(term) the running app server and supervisord will bring it right back up(if configured for autorestart).

letronje

Jun 30, 2013, 12:59:59 PM6/30/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com

Baishampayan Ghose

Jun 30, 2013, 1:07:40 PM6/30/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
Here is another excellent trick for zero downtime restarts -
http://shenfeng.me/fast-restart-clojure-webapp.html

~BG
> --

Baishampayan Ghose
b.ghose at gmail.com

Baishampayan Ghose

Jun 30, 2013, 1:10:23 PM6/30/13
to clj-...@googlegroups.com
The above example in a ready-to-use gist -
https://gist.github.com/ptaoussanis/4283150