Updated quil.info

Nikita Beloglazov

Oct 2, 2014, 4:21:14 PM10/2/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi all

I've updated quil.info. It has now 3(!!!) tabs. Changes:
  • Added landing page that includes examples of how to use quil and few resources.
  • In API docs functions cljs or clj-only functions are marked explicitly. Example: screen-height.
  • You can create and run sketch in browser: Create tab. You can share the sketch using the link provided upon creation. Currently sketches are stored in-memory so they eventually expire and will be deleted. So it is good for short-term shating.

Source code of the website can be found on GitHub: quil-site. Bugs, suggestions and critics are welcome. Pull requests are even more welcome!

Thanks,

Nikita

nick rothwell

Oct 4, 2014, 4:58:30 PM10/4/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Noticed that almost immediately (am doing a *lot* of Quil-based coding at the moment). It's really nice.

I noticed a typo on the main page, but rather than report it here, I've just issued a pull request...!

Nikita Beloglazov

Oct 5, 2014, 6:53:12 AM10/5/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Cool, thanks! Merged and restarted the server.

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 9:58 PM, nick rothwell <cassi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Noticed that almost immediately (am doing a *lot* of Quil-based coding at the moment). It's really nice.

I noticed a typo on the main page, but rather than report it here, I've just issued a pull request...!

Erik Svedäng

Oct 7, 2014, 8:23:30 AM10/7/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Wow, very nice!

Nikita Beloglazov

Oct 30, 2014, 7:46:52 AM10/30/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
I want to make landing page of quil.info more lively and add some sketches as examples of what Quil is.

If you have some nice or interesting sketches - please share, I'll combine them and add to the landing page. Not all at once will be shown, around 3 per page view. I haven't tried but I imagine 3 should be ok.

Sketches should be cljs compatible - it means that if you're using some clojure-only libraries, e.g. for simulating physics, they might not work in cljs and need to be ported. So quil-only sketches would be ideal.

Any kind of sketches are welcome: animations, interactive sketches, 2d and 3d.

If you have any other ideas of how to make quil.info more engaging and fun - please share.

Thanks,
Nikita

Nikita Beloglazov

Oct 30, 2014, 7:47:21 AM10/30/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
You can post sketches here or send directly to me: m...@nbeloglazov.com

Erik Svedäng

Nov 9, 2014, 7:19:19 AM11/9/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
I made something. Here: https://gist.github.com/eriksvedang/31e67e4d20ecca89fec0

Perhaps I should make it more colorful?

Erik

Erik Svedäng

Nov 9, 2014, 7:23:14 AM11/9/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Here's a variation that might be better: https://gist.github.com/eriksvedang/fe0cba532161b254492d

Nikita Beloglazov

Nov 9, 2014, 7:33:47 AM11/9/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Wow, nice!

I'll start working on adding them. I have a couple of mine sketches too so I have something to add now!

Thanks!

Nikita Beloglazov

Nov 16, 2014, 3:50:21 PM11/16/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
I added examples: http://quil.info

Currently there are only 3 examples and they're black-and-white. Which is kinda depressing. Or stylish, depending how to look at it.
If someone wants to add his own example or make existing one better, check https://github.com/quil/quil-site/tree/master/src/cljs/quil_site/examples
Each example is a cljs file that contains sketch code. All you need is to add another cljs file that follows the same format.

It would be cool to add 3D sketch if someone has one.

Nikita

Nikita Beloglazov

Nov 16, 2014, 3:52:35 PM11/16/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Or you can just post the sketch to this thread, I'll add it.

Erik Svedäng

Nov 17, 2014, 8:53:57 AM11/17/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Cool, thanks for the credit and removing the last line, looks much better. I'll try to make something colorful...

Erik Svedäng

Nov 26, 2014, 7:58:34 AM11/26/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Here's a new and more ambitious sketch: https://github.com/eriksvedang/quilts/blob/master/src/quilts/sketch2.cljs

I hope it can bring some color and excitement to the front page! =)

Best regards,
Erik

Erik Svedäng

Nov 26, 2014, 3:54:29 PM11/26/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
I put the output up here also, if anyone wants to try it: http://eriksvedang.github.io/Advent/0/space.html
It's made to work with the square format on the Quil frontpage, although widescreen is nice.
I'm planning on doing an advent calendar with small experiments in interactivity (using Quil and similar things) so this was the warm-up :)

Cheers,
Erik

Nikita Beloglazov

Nov 27, 2014, 3:53:28 AM11/27/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Great, Erik! Looks nice. Added it to the site. Also this sketch revealed some bugs in size-detection logic on server that extracts size from the sketch. Need to work on it.

By the way the bug with key-as-keyword broke my equilibrium example, it doesn't handle keys now :( Need to have it fixed in clojurescript. Anyone up to ClojureScript contribution by fixing http://dev.clojure.org/jira/browse/CLJS-890? It should be pretty easy to fix, basically have a look at http://dev.clojure.org/jira/browse/CLJS-847 and do similar. I cannot do it for some "policy" reasons :(