Quil 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT available on clojars

Nikita Beloglazov

Mar 7, 2014, 7:23:44 AM3/7/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Quillers

I've pushed version 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT to clojars. This version uses Processing 2.1.1

If you want to try it - just update [quil "1.7.0"] to [quil "2.0.0-SNAPSHOT"] in your project.clj. It mostly should be backward compatible and no changes is necessary from your side. But better check draft notes:

Next thing on my TODO list for 2.0.0 is to add tests so I can be sure that every function from core.clj don't fail when you call it. I'm not sure there is a good way to check automatically if they work correctly (e.g. scale function really scales). So I decided to just check that they don't fail.

Feel free to comment on this thread/github issues/draft notes docs.

Happy hacking!
Nikita

Edwin Park

Mar 28, 2014, 11:26:29 PM3/28/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, I've been looking forward to this. I just started playing, and I noticed that processing.video seems to be missing. Was this an oversight?

Edwin

Nikita Beloglazov

Apr 9, 2014, 5:09:12 PM4/9/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Edwin

Sorry for long response - for some wild reason gmail showed your message only today.

Well, processing.video is missing because nobody added support for it yet :) I'd be glad if someone worked on it, because I'm currently busy with quil 2.0 stuff. I can help with any questions regarding how to do it. I think it should be quite orthogonal to quil 2.0 development and there should be little problems.

There was some work on it: https://github.com/quil/quil/pull/79 and https://github.com/quil/quil/issues/75 . But I'm don't think anyone actively working on it now.

Thanks,
Nikita

Lee Spector

Apr 9, 2014, 9:52:17 PM4/9/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com

A project that I'm working on just displays nothing when I switch from [quil "1.7.0"] to [quil "2.0.0-SNAPSHOT"].

I've put the code, which isn't (yet) very complex, at: https://gist.github.com/lspector/10336333

I tried both with Clojure 1.5.1 and with Clojure 1.6.0.

Any insights/fixes would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Lee
> --

Cognitive Science, Hampshire College
893 West Street, Amherst, MA 01002-3359
lspe...@hampshire.edu, http://hampshire.edu/lspector/
Phone: 413-559-5352, Fax: 413-559-5438

Nikita Beloglazov

Apr 10, 2014, 5:29:57 AM4/10/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Lee, it does work on my machine (Ubuntu 12).
What OS are you using? Do you get any errors? How are you running it, via lein run or from repl?

Thanks,
Nikita

Lee Spector

Apr 10, 2014, 6:32:21 AM4/10/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nikita,

I'm running it with "lein run", with the project.clj shown below (which is just the default lein app template with the quil dependency added -- you'll see that I have two different dependencies for Clojure and Quil, and I've tried all of the combinations I think), on Mac OS 10.9.2 with java -version =>

java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)

Thanks,

-Lee

(defproject vp2d "0.1.0-SNAPSHOT"
:description "FIXME: write description"
:url "http://example.com/FIXME"
:license {:name "Eclipse Public License"
:url "http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html"}
:dependencies [[org.clojure/clojure "1.5.1"]
;[org.clojure/clojure "1.6.0"]
[quil "1.7.0"]
;[quil "2.0.0-SNAPSHOT"]
]
:main ^:skip-aot vp2d.core
:target-path "target/%s"
:profiles {:uberjar {:aot :all}})

Nikita Beloglazov

Apr 17, 2014, 5:02:29 PM4/17/14
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
Lee,

I tried running your sketch on mac (10.9.2) and everything went fine. I saw a lot of green circles floating around. Though java version installed on the mac was 1.8.0 but I'm not sure it is the problem.

Can you try once more running with 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT, cleaning project beforehand?
If it still doesn't work - I have no idea how to address the issue...

Nikita