[ANN] Quil 2.4.0 and improved live editor

Nikita Beloglazov

Mar 24, 2016, 4:03:29 PM3/24/16
to ClojureScript, clo...@googlegroups.com, clj-processing

Happy to announce Quil 2.4.0 release.

Quil is a Clojure/ClojureScript library for creating interactive drawings and animations.

The release available on clojars: https://clojars.org/quil. List of changes:

  • Updated cheatsheet. Thanks to @SevereOverfl0w.
  • Added support for some new processing functions: pixel-densitydisplay-densityclipno-clipkey-modifiers.
  • Fixes: #170#179.
  • Upgraded to ProcessingJS 1.4.16 and Processing 3.0.2.
  • Drop support of Clojure 1.6.0.
  • Migrated from cljx to cljc and various refactorings to make Quil compile with self-hosted cljs.

Documentation on http://quil.info has been updated as well.

Live editor

Editor on quil.info was revamped and migrated to self-hosted ClojureScript! That means that now you can evaluate code ~instantly in browser and even reevaluate parts of code. Editor provides following features:

  • full client-side compilation including macros from quil.core;
  • partial evaluation: use Ctrl+Enter to evaluate selected code or form under cursor
  • warning and error messages;
  • easy sketch sharing via URL;
Feedback and bug reports are welcome! Feel free to reply to this thread or file a bug in Quil repo

Happy hacking!

Nikita

Nikita Beloglazov

Mar 26, 2016, 2:50:29 PM3/26/16
to ClojureScript, clo...@googlegroups.com, clj-pro...@googlegroups.com
> FYI: The quil.info site has a broken link. The "Quil Intro" links to:
> http://nbeloglazov.com/2014/05/29/quil-intro.html
> But that's 404.
> Alan

Thanks for reporting, Alan. I was doing some work on nbeloglazov.com and accidentally broke it. It should be working now.

> Do we have examples of where people are using Quil ?

I believe people mostly using it for doing sketches/art. Also Quil is often used for teaching clojure, for example ClojureBridge: https://github.com/ClojureBridge/drawing and talk from last year clojure conj: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0yN1GauxCA&list=PLZdCLR02grLrl5ie970A24kvti21hGiOf&index=7

Nikita