No hardware acceleration in Chromium/Electron/Linux?

nick rothwell

Jun 7, 2017, 8:42:40 AM6/7/17
to clj-processing
I'm rolling out a fullscreen app (very simple 2D geometry) on a NUC running Linux Mint via Electron.

Chrome on the Mac gives me a solid 60fps. Electron on the Mac drops this to 40fps. Electron under Linux, it's about 10fps in HD, 4fps in 4K, suggesting there's no GPU support at all.

(The quil calls are basically all rects into simple geometric images, and then ovelaying of the images with transparency.)

Any ideas?

Nikita Beloglazov

Jun 8, 2017, 11:33:11 PM6/8/17
to clj-pro...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nick.

Does it work better on chrome than electron? Can you use chrome for your full screen app? Ive never worked with electron before. I am assuming you're using quil on clojurescript, right?

Nikita

nick rothwell

Jun 10, 2017, 5:16:41 PM6/10/17
to clj-processing
I don't have the hardware in front of me, but it did seem that the frame rate was much higher in Chrome than in Electron. So far I also suspect this is a Linux issue: frame rate is much faster on macOS (although again, slower in Electron).

I'd be happy to deploy in Chrome directly if there's a reliable command-line to launch in Chrome, full-screen, with no menu or status bars.

Happy to reproduce and report some performance figures.