Socks Proxy Support

joed...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2014, 10:43:38 PM3/22/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com
So I was reading the README and it says that it does not anonomize the data that is being transfered. Would it be possible to add support for a socks proxy? this way it could be used with tor or i2p to do just that.

p.s. Hoping people really get behind this, having a FOSS sync replacement or successor FTW.

Pedro Larroy

Mar 23, 2014, 7:02:04 AM3/23/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com

Its a good point. Please create a ticket for this.

Pedro.

On Mar 23, 2014 5:36 AM, <joed...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I was reading the README and it says that it does not anonomize the data that is being transfered. Would it be possible to add support for a socks proxy? this way it could be used with tor or i2p to do just that.

p.s. Hoping people really get behind this, having a FOSS sync replacement or successor FTW.

Steven Jewel

Mar 24, 2014, 12:05:36 PM3/24/14
On 03/22/2014 08:43 PM, joed...@gmail.com wrote:
> So I was reading the README and it says that it does not anonomize
> the data that is being transfered. Would it be possible to add
> support for a socks proxy? this way it could be used with tor or i2p
> to do just that.

Is it possible to receive an incoming connection via socks proxy?
Otherwise this might not be useful except in limited circumstances.

Steven

Jose Mendoza

Mar 28, 2014, 7:42:58 PM3/28/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com, clear...@stevenjewel.com
it depends on what you are talking about incoming connections and how the application will work.

if the application first establishes a connection with the peer or server (that is not behind a proxy), then it can accept packets coming back to it. (so syn -> syn-ack ->ack .. etc). A good example of this in action is yacy, when you enable a proxy for yacy to yacy communication.

if the application is just listening like a server (behind a proxy) then you would need the assistance of say something like a a tor hidden service or an i2p eepsite. A great example is of this one user that used btsync and used it to connect through the i2p network.

sources:
http://www.yacy-websuche.de/wiki/index.php/En:YaCy-Tor
http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/26538-concerns-about-the-security-of-btsync/