Control

Pedro Larroy

May 16, 2014, 4:35:24 AM5/16/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I think the control messages should follow the same message format we have for core. Does that make sense?

Pedro.

Steven Jewel

May 16, 2014, 11:26:48 AM5/16/14
On 05/16/2014 02:35 AM, Pedro Larroy wrote:
> I think the control messages should follow the same message format we
> have for core. Does that make sense?

I don't think so. The control interface should be as simple as
possible. For example, if a PHP programmer wants to add clearskies
support into his website it should be really simple.

I suppose we could switch to a REST API over HTTP for control instead of
our own JSON-and-newlines approach. That'd be even simpler for GUIs and
integrators to implement.

Steven

Pedro Larroy

May 16, 2014, 1:22:45 PM5/16/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com
Does that mean we need to have a web server integrated on the core?  I think Detunized is also of this opinion.

I thought it would be easier to reuse the message encoding system....  but it's not much work to read the messages.

Steven

Pedro Larroy Tovar   |    http://pedro.larroy.com/

Steven Jewel

May 16, 2014, 1:47:31 PM5/16/14
On 05/16/2014 11:22 AM, Pedro Larroy wrote:
> Does that mean we need to have a web server integrated on the core? I
> think Detunized is also of this opinion.

Maybe the more appropriate way would be to integrate clearskies-core
into a webserver, for those that want it. Since clearskies-core is
easily embeddable into other apps (by design, since it's going to be
embedded into an android app and an iOS app), that would be easy to do.

This would be called clearskies-server or something and would be
appropriate for people that want to integrate clearskies into their website.

Steven

Dmitry Yakimenko

May 16, 2014, 2:24:58 PM5/16/14
to clearsk...@googlegroups.com
Even though it would be less work for us for now to add control messages using
the same  schema/encoding as network messages, in the long run it would be
better to have simpler more standardized protocol, like pure JSON rather than a
customized version of it.

We spoke with Pedro in person and he convinced me that it would be easier to
start with the existing schema. He also had a point regarding large control
messages, when they might need to be split up into chunks or zipped and it fits
better the network message format we already have.

On the other hand, pure JSON is much friendlier to the users, especially from
crippled platforms like JavaScript without proper binary support.

Dima.