Inline CSS

Scott Allen

Oct 16, 2016, 4:53:53 PM10/16/16
to Clean Code Discussion
Hello, Everyone and thank you in advance for your help.

I'm looking for an expert option on the significance of clean code as far as search engine rankings are concerned. I have a lot of clients that use a CMS to generate and format their content and as a result it comes out with a LOT of inline styles. When I look at it, it makes me cringe. But should I be spending time on this issue or not? Does Google care about all of the inline styles?

Thank you again.

Antônio Carvalho Jr.

Oct 16, 2016, 9:03:40 PM10/16/16
to clean-code...@googlegroups.com
Scott,
I don't think the crawlers care about inline CSS (I never heard - though never searched for - anything about it, and I'd be surprised if they cared).
HTML tags on the other hand, do matter.

Inline CSS is bad because it is hard to keep track of all styles, and changes potentially have to be executed multiple times in multiples places (DRY violation).

But if they use a CMS, that's another story. The output HTML for CMSs is like bytecode for .java files, they don't have to look nice because no human is going to touch them (though the tool must make sure they do are nice to edit...).

[]s
Antonio

--
The only way to go fast is to go well.