Number of Programs Possible for a 3 bit FSM

Radoslaw Grymin

Jul 3, 2017, 5:25:00 PM7/3/17
to Clean Code Discussion
Hello!

I am not sure what Uncle Bob meant when he wrote that for 8 states he has 8 possible transitions in the state machine.
If I write it as a graph i have 8 edges and I can connect them on Binomial[8, 2] = 28 ways.

Even if he think about sequences and if we have sequence of 8 numbered states we can have a sequence:
1 3 2 5 4 8 7 6 And we have 7 possible transitions... between these states (1-3; 3-2; 2-5; ....)

I also don't understand notation 8p8. Is it 8!(8-8)!? Never seen it before.

Best regards,
Radek

Radoslaw Grymin

Jul 3, 2017, 5:34:17 PM7/3/17