Google Grupper har inte längre stöd för nya Usenet-inlägg eller -prenumerationer. Historiskt innehåll förblir synligt.

Hey Magnificent Bastard

1 visning

The Magnificent Bastard

oläst,
23 mars 2002 14:23:272002-03-23
till
On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:42:52 GMT, mcle...@mindspring.com (Toshiyuki
"Champagne Boy" Miura with Pretty Interpreter) enlightened the world with
this nugget of wisdom...

> I noticed your dislike of Opie and his family friendly version of John
> Nash's 'story' .
>
> I was wondering what is your take on him casting a Caucasian woman to
> play his Salvadoran wife?

I think it speaks more to the lack of Salvadoran actresses in Holywood than
anything else. Who could he have gotten to play the role?

But you know Opie, he probably thought the movie would be more appealing to
the general public (sheep) and the academy if Nash's wife was as white as
Wonder Bread.

John Nash was on 60 Minutes a week or so ago. Did anyone see it? If so,
what was your general impression?

--
_ () () ||
/\, /;| , __ ., ||^ ., ,--, ,--, , __ _||_
|| \ // \ _// // `, |// \|| `\ `' `\
|| | // \-' ,, _ |_ ___|/ || \ \
|| D) / // , \ || ( \\_/|| | // , || | |\ |
|| <,// /\\ \ \\ \ || | // /\\ || D) / ||| |
|| \/ /__\\ _\ \\ \ || |// /__\\|| / |// |
|| D) | // `\ )) | || |/ || < `' |
|| / _______ \\ / || | _______|| |\ \ /
||_______/___| ||_``.____,' ||___|___| ||___|\\____\____/

-P- -R- -O- -D- -U- -C- -T- -I- -O- -N- -S- -2- -0- -0- -2- ©

Torris Bin Drinken

oläst,
23 mars 2002 15:39:062002-03-23
till
On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:23:27 -0500, The Magnificent Bastard
<magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:42:52 GMT, mcle...@mindspring.com (Toshiyuki
>"Champagne Boy" Miura with Pretty Interpreter) enlightened the world with
>this nugget of wisdom...
>

>> I noticed your dislike of Opie and his family friendly version of John
>> Nash's 'story' .
>>
>> I was wondering what is your take on him casting a Caucasian woman to
>> play his Salvadoran wife?
>
>I think it speaks more to the lack of Salvadoran actresses in Holywood than
>anything else. Who could he have gotten to play the role?

Elizabeth Pena (Jacob's Ladder) for one. Jennifer Lopez and/or her big
giant ass, Roslyn Sanchez hottie Puerto Rican from Rush Hour 2 . I
didn't know about this substituting mayo for salsa. One more reason to
hate that bald fuck Ron Howard. As bad as my kvetch about Mormons
playing Italians in those Olive Garden commercials

>But you know Opie, he probably thought the movie would be more appealing to
>the general public (sheep) and the academy if Nash's wife was as white as
>Wonder Bread.

Is the homosexual story line dropped from the movie overly-santized or
was it not particuarly compelling to the plot. I love Jennifer
Connelly but not enough to see the usual Ron Howard pablum. My guess
is that keeping Nash's anti-semitic leanings out of the film was more
by design come award voting time then the gay angle

BTW - rented Training Day this week. Denzel W is a great actor but if
he wins for this? Biggest travesty since Al Pacino winning for Scent
of a Woman and not his other, better roles like Dog Day Afternoon and
GF I and II

Torris

The Magnificent Bastard

oläst,
23 mars 2002 14:51:522002-03-23
till
On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 20:39:06 GMT, Torris Bin Drinken enlightened the world
with this nugget of wisdom...
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:23:27 -0500, The Magnificent Bastard
> <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:42:52 GMT, mcle...@mindspring.com (Toshiyuki
> >"Champagne Boy" Miura with Pretty Interpreter) enlightened the world with
> >this nugget of wisdom...
> >

> >> I noticed your dislike of Opie and his family friendly version of John
> >> Nash's 'story' .
> >>
> >> I was wondering what is your take on him casting a Caucasian woman to
> >> play his Salvadoran wife?
> >
> >I think it speaks more to the lack of Salvadoran actresses in Holywood than
> >anything else. Who could he have gotten to play the role?
>
> Elizabeth Pena (Jacob's Ladder) for one. Jennifer Lopez and/or her big
> giant ass, Roslyn Sanchez hottie Puerto Rican from Rush Hour 2 . I
> didn't know about this substituting mayo for salsa. One more reason to
> hate that bald fuck Ron Howard. As bad as my kvetch about Mormons
> playing Italians in those Olive Garden commercials

I was thinking Rosie Perez....that would have been pretty funny.

> >But you know Opie, he probably thought the movie would be more appealing to
> >the general public (sheep) and the academy if Nash's wife was as white as
> >Wonder Bread.
>
> Is the homosexual story line dropped from the movie overly-santized or
> was it not particuarly compelling to the plot.

Not that compelling to the plot. There was not a lot about it in his
autobiography either.

> I love Jennifer Connelly but not enough to see the usual Ron Howard pablum.

She was excellent but not worth seeing the movie for.

> My guess is that keeping Nash's anti-semitic leanings out of the film was more

> by design come award voting time then the gay angle.

Opie wanted all the sheeple (sheep + people) to view Nash as a very
sympathetic figure. If he had thrown in the homosexuality, the anti-
semitism, the illegitimate son, etc. etc. then the sheeple wouldn't have
liked Nash (or the movie) as much.

> BTW - rented Training Day this week. Denzel W is a great actor but if
> he wins for this? Biggest travesty since Al Pacino winning for Scent
> of a Woman and not his other, better roles like Dog Day Afternoon and
> GF I and II

I haven't seen Training Day yet. The reviews I read weren't that positive.
I'll probably rent it soon though.

Erasmus Brown

oläst,
24 mars 2002 01:08:162002-03-24
till

"Torris Bin Drinken" <tor...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:23:27 -0500, The Magnificent Bastard
> <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> Is the homosexual story line dropped from the movie overly-santized or
> was it not particuarly compelling to the plot. I love Jennifer
> Connelly but not enough to see the usual Ron Howard pablum. My guess
> is that keeping Nash's anti-semitic leanings out of the film was more
> by design come award voting time then the gay angle

He was sick - he's not anti-semitic. He was raving because his mind was
fucked up.
Don't believe that piece of dog shit Matt Drudge.

> BTW - rented Training Day this week. Denzel W is a great actor but if
> he wins for this? Biggest travesty since Al Pacino winning for Scent
> of a Woman and not his other, better roles like Dog Day Afternoon and
> GF I and II

First of all, I heard Denzel was great in it. Second, if Denzel HAD won for
Malcolm X (like he SHOULD have) and Pacino for Glengarry Glen Ross (like he
should have) it would be moot.

The Magnificent Bastard

oläst,
24 mars 2002 01:25:052002-03-24
till
On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 06:08:16 GMT, Erasmus Brown enlightened the world with
this nugget of wisdom...

> "Torris Bin Drinken" <tor...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:23:27 -0500, The Magnificent Bastard
> > <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Is the homosexual story line dropped from the movie overly-santized or
> > was it not particuarly compelling to the plot. I love Jennifer
> > Connelly but not enough to see the usual Ron Howard pablum. My guess
> > is that keeping Nash's anti-semitic leanings out of the film was more
> > by design come award voting time then the gay angle
>
> He was sick - he's not anti-semitic. He was raving because his mind was
> fucked up. Don't believe that piece of dog shit Matt Drudge.

Oh Erasmus.....I have no idea what Matt Drudge said about John Nash. I'm
referring to what I read in Nash's biography. It points out that he was a
vocal anti-Semite while he was an under grad at Carnegie Mellon University.
This was well before his mental illness. He didn't like the fact that a
large number of Jewish students, many of them non US citizens, were getting
some of the choice academic appointments.

This was conveniently left out of the book, along with many other distasteful
tidbits about Nash's life. Opie Howard basically sanitized Nash's life story
to make him appear much more sympathetic to the sheeple in the audience.

Don't fall for it...

--

Torris Bin Drinken

oläst,
24 mars 2002 20:48:462002-03-24
till
On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 06:08:16 GMT, "Erasmus Brown" <hot...@mofo.com>
wrote:

>> BTW - rented Training Day this week. Denzel W is a great actor but if
>> he wins for this? Biggest travesty since Al Pacino winning for Scent
>> of a Woman and not his other, better roles like Dog Day Afternoon and
>> GF I and II
>
>First of all, I heard Denzel was great in it. Second, if Denzel HAD won for
>Malcolm X (like he SHOULD have) and Pacino for Glengarry Glen Ross (like he
>should have) it would be moot.

Actually, I think Alec Baldwin should have won for Glengary Glen Ross
and secondly, when the plot twist turns in Training Day, Washington's
performance collapses into third rate overracting once the whole moral
ambiguity of his character is stripped away b/c of the cliche'd script
writing

Torris

Torris Bin Drinken

oläst,
24 mars 2002 20:49:562002-03-24
till
On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 01:25:05 -0500, The Magnificent Bastard
<magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 06:08:16 GMT, Erasmus Brown enlightened the world with
>this nugget of wisdom...
>>
>> "Torris Bin Drinken" <tor...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> > On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 14:23:27 -0500, The Magnificent Bastard
>> > <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > Is the homosexual story line dropped from the movie overly-santized or
>> > was it not particuarly compelling to the plot. I love Jennifer
>> > Connelly but not enough to see the usual Ron Howard pablum. My guess
>> > is that keeping Nash's anti-semitic leanings out of the film was more
>> > by design come award voting time then the gay angle
>>
>> He was sick - he's not anti-semitic. He was raving because his mind was
>> fucked up. Don't believe that piece of dog shit Matt Drudge.
>
>Oh Erasmus.....I have no idea what Matt Drudge said about John Nash. I'm
>referring to what I read in Nash's biography. It points out that he was a
>vocal anti-Semite while he was an under grad at Carnegie Mellon University.
>This was well before his mental illness. He didn't like the fact that a
>large number of Jewish students, many of them non US citizens, were getting
>some of the choice academic appointments.
>
>This was conveniently left out of the book,

Left out of the movie or Sylvia Nasar's book?

Torris

The Magnificent Bastard

oläst,
24 mars 2002 21:07:002002-03-24
till
On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 01:49:56 GMT, Torris Bin Drinken enlightened the world
with this nugget of wisdom...
> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 01:25:05 -0500, The Magnificent Bastard
> <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 06:08:16 GMT, Erasmus Brown enlightened the world with
> >this nugget of wisdom...
> >>
> >> "Torris Bin Drinken" <tor...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> >> He was sick - he's not anti-semitic. He was raving because his mind was
> >> fucked up. Don't believe that piece of dog shit Matt Drudge.
> >
> >Oh Erasmus.....I have no idea what Matt Drudge said about John Nash. I'm
> >referring to what I read in Nash's biography. It points out that he was a
> >vocal anti-Semite while he was an under grad at Carnegie Mellon University.
> >This was well before his mental illness. He didn't like the fact that a
> >large number of Jewish students, many of them non US citizens, were getting
> >some of the choice academic appointments.
> >
> >This was conveniently left out of the book,
>
> Left out of the movie or Sylvia Nasar's book?

Conveniently left out of the movie...it *was* discussed in the book.

> Torris

Toshiyuki Champagne Boy Miura with Pretty Interpreter

oläst,
24 mars 2002 23:09:442002-03-24
till
The Magnificent Bastard <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:42:52 GMT, mcle...@mindspring.com (Toshiyuki
>"Champagne Boy" Miura with Pretty Interpreter) enlightened the world with
>this nugget of wisdom...
>

>> I noticed your dislike of Opie and his family friendly version of John
>> Nash's 'story' .
>>
>> I was wondering what is your take on him casting a Caucasian woman to
>> play his Salvadoran wife?
>
>I think it speaks more to the lack of Salvadoran actresses in Holywood than
>anything else. Who could he have gotten to play the role?

I was thinking a Latina actress would suffice. Someone from one of the
excellent Latin themed miniseries such as Mi Familia or Mi Vida Loca
or something would be good if they considered someone like Salma Hayek
to be too young or good looking.

The Magnificent Bastard

oläst,
24 mars 2002 23:43:082002-03-24
till
On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 04:09:44 GMT, mcle...@mindspring.com (Toshiyuki
"Champagne Boy" Miura with Pretty Interpreter) enlightened the world with
this nugget of wisdom...
> The Magnificent Bastard <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:42:52 GMT, mcle...@mindspring.com (Toshiyuki
> >"Champagne Boy" Miura with Pretty Interpreter) enlightened the world with
> >this nugget of wisdom...
> >

> >> I noticed your dislike of Opie and his family friendly version of John
> >> Nash's 'story' .
> >>
> >> I was wondering what is your take on him casting a Caucasian woman to
> >> play his Salvadoran wife?
> >
> >I think it speaks more to the lack of Salvadoran actresses in Holywood than
> >anything else. Who could he have gotten to play the role?
> >

> I was thinking a Latina actress would suffice. Someone from one of the
> excellent Latin themed miniseries such as Mi Familia or Mi Vida Loca
> or something would be good if they considered someone like Salma Hayek
> to be too young or good looking.

Jennifer Connelly is probably around the same age as Selma Hayek and both are
very attractive women. I think Opie just wanted to go white bread to make the
film appeal more to mainstream....

the amazing bobby goblin

oläst,
24 mars 2002 23:13:242002-03-24
till
The Magnificent Bastard said:
> Conveniently left out of the movie...it *was* discussed in the book.

I read that nasher was on 60 minutes
but dodged all the gay questions saying
that he's learned not to speak of those
times.

--
BFG

goblin at iglou dot com

( http://members.iglou.com/lyons )

The Magnificent Bastard

oläst,
25 mars 2002 00:22:072002-03-25
till
On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:13:24 -0500, the amazing bobby goblin enlightened the
world with this nugget of wisdom...

> The Magnificent Bastard said:
> > Conveniently left out of the movie...it *was* discussed in the book.
> >

> I read that nasher was on 60 minutes
> but dodged all the gay questions saying
> that he's learned not to speak of those
> times.

Here's what Slate had to say about "A Beautiful Mind" and the fact that many
of the more "unpleasant" parts of John Nash's live were either left out of
the movie or were sanitized for consumption by the masses:

1. Homosexual experiences. Nash had recurring liaisons with other men. As an
undergraduate, he once climbed into a friend's bed while the friend was
sleeping and "made a pass at him," Nasar writes. Nash also made a sexual
overture toward John Milnor, a fellow mathematician with whom Nash lived one
summer while working for the RAND Corporation think tank in Santa Monica,
Calif. According to Nasar, "What Nash felt toward Milnor may have been
something very close to love."

Nash's first loves were one-sided infatuations with other men. He once kissed
another friend, Donald Newman, on the mouth. According to Newman, "He tried
fiddling around with me. I was driving my car when he came on to me." Nash
also had "special friendships," in his own words, with two men. One of these
was Nash's "first experience of mutual attraction," Nasar writes. Of the
other, she writes that they were "friends—and then more than friends."

In 1954, Nash was arrested for indecent exposure in a bathroom in Santa
Monica, which cost him his position at RAND. (He told his bosses that he was
"merely observing behavioral characteristics.")

2. An illegitimate child. Nash's other "special friendship" was with Eleanor
Stier, a Boston nurse. In 1953, when Nash was 25, Eleanor bore him a son,
John David Stier. (Nash's other son, who is depicted in the movie, is also
named John.) Though single, Nash was unwilling to care for Eleanor or John,
and John had to be placed in foster care for a time. In 1956, Eleanor was
forced to hire a lawyer in order to get Nash to pay child support.

Nash saw John David occasionally until the child was six. Around John's
senior year of high school, he and Nash began communicating by letter. Six
years later, they met in person. Nash was still ill at the time and thought
John Stier would play "an essential and significant personal role in my
personal long-awaited 'gay liberation,' " according to a letter Nash wrote to
a friend. The reunion "petered out," Stier told Nasar. "Having a mentally ill
father was rather disturbing."

After a 17-year estrangement, John Stier and Nash met again. Nash criticized
Stier's decision to become a nurse and urged him to go to medical school. He
told Stier that it would be beneficial for his other son John (who also
developed schizophrenia) to know his "less intelligent older brother."

3. Divorce. John Nash and Alicia Larde married in February 1957. Their son,
John Charles Martin Nash, born May 20, 1959, remained nameless for a year. On
the day after Christmas in 1962, Alicia filed for divorce. Her papers stated
that Nash blamed her for twice committing him to a mental institution. He had
moved into another room and refused to have sex with her for more than two
years. By 1965, she hoped to marry another math professor, John Coleman
Moore.

Nash moved in with Alicia again in 1970, and it's true that her patience and
concern played a critical role in his recovery from schizophrenia. But she
referred to him as her "boarder," Nasar writes, and "they lived essentially
like two distantly related individuals under one roof" until he won the Nobel
Prize, when they renewed their relationship.

In the movie, Nash uses his Nobel Prize acceptance speech to pay tribute to
Alicia. In reality, Nash was not asked to give a Nobel lecture, presumably
because of his instability. He did, however, give a short speech at a small
party in Princeton. Here is Nasar's synopsis:

He was not inclined to give speeches, he said, but he had three things to
say. First, he hoped that getting the Nobel would improve his credit rating
because he really wanted a credit card. Second, he said that one is supposed
to say that one is glad he is sharing the prize, but he wished he had won the
whole thing because he really needed the money badly. Third, Nash said that
he had won for game theory and that he felt that game theory was like string
theory, a subject of great intrinsic intellectual interest that the world
wishes to imagine can be of some utility. He said it with enough skepticism
in his voice to make it funny.

Are these episodes the whole story of John Nash? No. But neither is the
movie.

Toshiyuki Champagne Boy Miura with Pretty Interpreter

oläst,
25 mars 2002 00:29:442002-03-25
till
The Magnificent Bastard <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I was thinking a Latina actress would suffice. Someone from one of the
>> excellent Latin themed miniseries such as Mi Familia or Mi Vida Loca
>> or something would be good if they considered someone like Salma Hayek
>> to be too young or good looking.
>
>Jennifer Connelly is probably around the same age as Selma Hayek and both are
>very attractive women. I think Opie just wanted to go white bread to make the
>film appeal more to mainstream....

I agree. The only time I ever saw Connoly before tonight's Oscars was
'Requiem for a Dream' and I thought that was what she really looked
like. But after tonight, I realize she is actually very attractive,
which goes to show that Hayek, Cruz, or many other of the bevy of
young, attractive Latina actresses could have played the Latina role,
but Opie wanted to make sure he got some money out of the south and
the heartland.

War Apollo 16 or whatever really sucked.

Toshiyuki Champagne Boy Miura with Pretty Interpreter

oläst,
25 mars 2002 00:32:232002-03-25
till
tor...@mindspring.com (Torris Bin Drinken) wrote:

>BTW - rented Training Day this week. Denzel W is a great actor but if
>he wins for this? Biggest travesty since Al Pacino winning for Scent
>of a Woman and not his other, better roles like Dog Day Afternoon and
>GF I and II

The thing is, who else? You got Crowe who won it last year in a
questionable year, Smith in a good imitation but subpar film, the
older guy in the movie I didn't see, so like E. Brown said, I think
the Academy was giving it to Washington among a weak field in part for
Malcolm X.

Liam Devlin

oläst,
25 mars 2002 02:25:002002-03-25
till
The Magnificent Bastard wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:13:24 -0500, the amazing bobby goblin enlightened the
> world with this nugget of wisdom...
>
> > The Magnificent Bastard said:
> > > Conveniently left out of the movie...it *was* discussed in the book.
> > >

> > I read that nasher was on 60 minutes
> > but dodged all the gay questions saying
> > that he's learned not to speak of those
> > times.
>
> Here's what Slate had to say about "A Beautiful Mind" and the fact that many
> of the more "unpleasant" parts of John Nash's live were either left out of
> the movie or were sanitized for consumption by the masses:
>
> 1. Homosexual experiences. Nash had recurring liaisons with other men. As an
> undergraduate, he once climbed into a friend's bed while the friend was
> sleeping and "made a pass at him,"

Oh, come on, who didn't when he was younger.

> Nasar writes. Nash also made a sexual
> overture toward John Milnor, a fellow mathematician with whom Nash lived one
> summer while working for the RAND Corporation think tank in Santa Monica,
> Calif. According to Nasar, "What Nash felt toward Milnor may have been
> something very close to love."
>
> Nash's first loves were one-sided infatuations with other men. He once kissed
> another friend, Donald Newman, on the mouth. According to Newman, "He tried
> fiddling around with me. I was driving my car when he came on to me." Nash
> also had "special friendships," in his own words, with two men. One of these
> was Nash's "first experience of mutual attraction," Nasar writes. Of the
> other, she writes that they were "friends—and then more than friends."
>
> In 1954, Nash was arrested for indecent exposure in a bathroom in Santa
> Monica, which cost him his position at RAND. (He told his bosses that he was
> "merely observing behavioral characteristics.")

You know entirely too much about this.

> 2. An illegitimate child. Nash's other "special friendship" was with Eleanor
> Stier, a Boston nurse. In 1953, when Nash was 25, Eleanor bore him a son,
> John David Stier.

Who went on to fame & fortune playing Major Charles Emerson Winchester
on MASH.

Liam Devlin

oläst,
25 mars 2002 02:26:552002-03-25
till
The Magnificent Bastard wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 04:09:44 GMT, mcle...@mindspring.com (Toshiyuki
> "Champagne Boy" Miura with Pretty Interpreter) enlightened the world with
> this nugget of wisdom...
> > The Magnificent Bastard <magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:42:52 GMT, mcle...@mindspring.com (Toshiyuki
> > >"Champagne Boy" Miura with Pretty Interpreter) enlightened the world with
> > >this nugget of wisdom...

> > >I think it speaks more to the lack of Salvadoran actresses in Holywood than
> > >anything else. Who could he have gotten to play the role?
> > >

> > I was thinking a Latina actress would suffice. Someone from one of the
> > excellent Latin themed miniseries such as Mi Familia or Mi Vida Loca
> > or something would be good if they considered someone like Salma Hayek
> > to be too young or good looking.
>
> Jennifer Connelly is probably around the same age as Selma Hayek and both are
> very attractive women. I think Opie just wanted to go white bread to make the
> film appeal more to mainstream....

Maybe Hayek was busy with another movie or thinks Opie's movies suck
donkey balls?

The Magnificent Bastard

oläst,
25 mars 2002 07:35:212002-03-25
till
On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 07:25:00 GMT, Liam Devlin enlightened the world with this
nugget of wisdom...
> The Magnificent Bastard wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 24 Mar 2002 23:13:24 -0500, the amazing bobby goblin enlightened the
> > world with this nugget of wisdom...

> > > I read that nasher was on 60 minutes
> > > but dodged all the gay questions saying
> > > that he's learned not to speak of those
> > > times.
> >
> > Here's what Slate had to say about "A Beautiful Mind" and the fact that many
> > of the more "unpleasant" parts of John Nash's live were either left out of
> > the movie or were sanitized for consumption by the masses:
> >
> > 1. Homosexual experiences. Nash had recurring liaisons with other men. As an
> > undergraduate, he once climbed into a friend's bed while the friend was
> > sleeping and "made a pass at him,"

> Oh, come on, who didn't when he was younger.

I'm quite sure you're being sarcastic. Aren't you?

> > Nasar writes. Nash also made a sexual
> > overture toward John Milnor, a fellow mathematician with whom Nash lived one
> > summer while working for the RAND Corporation think tank in Santa Monica,
> > Calif. According to Nasar, "What Nash felt toward Milnor may have been
> > something very close to love."
> >
> > Nash's first loves were one-sided infatuations with other men. He once kissed
> > another friend, Donald Newman, on the mouth. According to Newman, "He tried
> > fiddling around with me. I was driving my car when he came on to me." Nash
> > also had "special friendships," in his own words, with two men. One of these
> > was Nash's "first experience of mutual attraction," Nasar writes. Of the
> > other, she writes that they were "friends—and then more than friends."
> >
> > In 1954, Nash was arrested for indecent exposure in a bathroom in Santa
> > Monica, which cost him his position at RAND. (He told his bosses that he was
> > "merely observing behavioral characteristics.")

> You know entirely too much about this.

I mentioned in the first paragraph that this was quoted from Slate.

> > 2. An illegitimate child. Nash's other "special friendship" was with Eleanor
> > Stier, a Boston nurse. In 1953, when Nash was 25, Eleanor bore him a son,
> > John David Stier.
>
> Who went on to fame & fortune playing Major Charles Emerson Winchester
> on MASH.

Good one!

--

The Magnificent Bastard

oläst,
25 mars 2002 07:36:222002-03-25
till
On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 07:26:55 GMT, Liam Devlin enlightened the world with this
nugget of wisdom...
> The Magnificent Bastard wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 04:09:44 GMT, mcle...@mindspring.com (Toshiyuki
> > "Champagne Boy" Miura with Pretty Interpreter) enlightened the world with
> > this nugget of wisdom...

> > > I was thinking a Latina actress would suffice. Someone from one of the
> > > excellent Latin themed miniseries such as Mi Familia or Mi Vida Loca
> > > or something would be good if they considered someone like Salma Hayek
> > > to be too young or good looking.
> >
> > Jennifer Connelly is probably around the same age as Selma Hayek and both are
> > very attractive women. I think Opie just wanted to go white bread to make the
> > film appeal more to mainstream....
>
> Maybe Hayek was busy with another movie or thinks Opie's movies suck
> donkey balls?

Maybe. But I bet she wasn't even given a shot at the role.

the amazing bobby goblin

oläst,
25 mars 2002 08:21:422002-03-25
till

oh, I meant to write that Nash was on 60 minutes

Toshiyuki Champagne Boy Miura with Pretty Interpreter

oläst,
25 mars 2002 09:16:062002-03-25
till
Liam Devlin <Lia...@optonline.net> wrote:

>> Jennifer Connelly is probably around the same age as Selma Hayek and both are
>> very attractive women. I think Opie just wanted to go white bread to make the
>> film appeal more to mainstream....
>
>Maybe Hayek was busy with another movie or thinks Opie's movies suck
>donkey balls?

There are a plethora of other Latina actresses that fit the bill other
than Salma.

Andy Walton

oläst,
25 mars 2002 11:56:342002-03-25
till
In article <3c9eb5da...@news.mindspring.com>, Toshiyuki "Champagne
Boy" Miura with Pretty Interpreter <mcle...@mindspring.com> wrote:

It's not the first time someone got an Oscar (TM) (R) ((C) A.M.P.A.S.)
for reasons other than an individual performance. Is there a human
being alive who doesn't think that Whoopi Goldberg's win for "Ghost"
was really for "The Color Purple"? Or that Pacino's win was really for
that movie? It's not ideal, but it's better than those actors not
winning an Oscar at all. Then you have a movie like "Goodbye, Mr.
Chips," which would have swept the Oscars in most years, but didn't win
anything because it came out in the same year as "Gone With The Wind"
and "Stagecoach".

Robin Williams was robbed because he was nominated for best actor for
"Dead Poets Society." Had he been nominated for best supporting actor,
which was more appropriate to the role, he would have won, as he
deserved to. Then there's Randy Newman, who should have won a best
score Oscar for "The Natural" sixteen years ago. He won last night, for
a lesser song than many of the ones that lost, but at least he finally
won (after fifteen losses).

Torris Bin Drinken

oläst,
26 mars 2002 21:27:022002-03-26
till
On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 00:22:07 -0500, The Magnificent Bastard
<magnif_...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In the movie, Nash uses his Nobel Prize acceptance speech to pay tribute to
>Alicia. In reality, Nash was not asked to give a Nobel lecture, presumably
>because of his instability.

I heard that it is usually only Peace Prize winners who give
acceptance speeches

He did, however, give a short speech at a small

Torris

Torris Bin Drinken

oläst,
26 mars 2002 21:32:372002-03-26
till
On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 07:26:55 GMT, Liam Devlin <Lia...@optonline.net>
wrote:

>Maybe Hayek was busy with another movie or thinks Opie's movies suck
>donkey balls?

Hayek is filming a biography of Mexican painter Frida Kahlo

Torris

0 nya meddelanden